Cell Phone zombies

Lost In Xanadu

I just remembered about a couple of zombiesque people I saw on the Clockwork Angels tour. I was on the floor in something like the 15th row, and two seats in front of me were empty. I know those were expensive seats. Finally, after the intermission, a couple comes and takes the seats. For the rest of the show they would take a photo of the band, or maybe of themselves with the stage in the background, then sit down and proceed to post to photo somewhere. Then they would stand up and repeat this. I'm not sure that they actually watched any of the songs, and they may have even left early.

I can just imagine what they posted. "Hey man, this is such a great show!" Uh, if it's so great, maybe you should watch it?

Rock and roll shows are full of these people now. I can understand people who want to take a picture, or some pictures, but it bugs me that people just use their phones to do that. (Remember seeing people's lighters, illuminating the dark throughout the whole venue? Those have been replaced with everybody and his brother AND his sister holding up their cell phones right in front of you while you're trying to see). But people texting while they're at a show, that's the worst. I just want to grab them by the arms and shake them and say, "Why the hell did you come here??"

I agree. It's really annoying. People don't enjoy the experience while they're there. They just want to capture it to enjoy later or to show their friends how "cool" they are.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 3

I just remembered about a couple of zombiesque people I saw on the Clockwork Angels tour. I was on the floor in something like the 15th row, and two seats in front of me were empty. I know those were expensive seats. Finally, after the intermission, a couple comes and takes the seats. For the rest of the show they would take a photo of the band, or maybe of themselves with the stage in the background, then sit down and proceed to post to photo somewhere. Then they would stand up and repeat this. I'm not sure that they actually watched any of the songs, and they may have even left early.

I can just imagine what they posted. "Hey man, this is such a great show!" Uh, if it's so great, maybe you should watch it?

Rock and roll shows are full of these people now. I can understand people who want to take a picture, or some pictures, but it bugs me that people just use their phones to do that. (Remember seeing people's lighters, illuminating the dark throughout the whole venue? Those have been replaced with everybody and his brother AND his sister holding up their cell phones right in front of you while you're trying to see). But people texting while they're at a show, that's the worst. I just want to grab them by the arms and shake them and say, "Why the hell did you come here??"

It agree. It's really annoying. People don't enjoy the experience while they're there. They just want to capture it to enjoy later or to show their friends how "cool" they are.

It's all about me these days. :eyeroll:

• Like 2

Unbelievable... One of my brother's close friends (whom I knew quite well) died this weekend. There are no details in the story, but my brother has talked to his friends and family and apparently he was on his way to his kid's baseball game and was texting and driving. Drifted off the road and died.

So many f***ing people text and drive and think they are good at it. The only redeeming thing about this story is that he didn't kill anyone else. You may get away with it 100 times, but all it takes is one time to die. Wake the f**k up people... texting and driving is just as bad as drinking and driving.

http://wxerfm.com/news/articles/2014/jun/29/sheboygan-falls-man-dies-in-rollover/

• Like 6

Unbelievable... One of my brother's close friends (whom I knew quite well) died this weekend. There are no details in the story, but my brother has talked to his friends and family and apparently he was on his way to his kid's baseball game and was texting and driving. Drifted off the road and died.

So many f***ing people text and drive and think they are good at it. The only redeeming thing about this story is that he didn't kill anyone else. You may get away with it 100 times, but all it takes is one time to die. Wake the f**k up people... texting and driving is just as bad as drinking and driving.

http://wxerfm.com/ne...es-in-rollover/

Sorry to hear about your Brother's Friend,

It's all to common these days.

Edited by troutman

"I'll be t"

That was the text he was in the middle of writing when he drifted onto the shoulder, jerked the wheel, rolled the car and flew out the window. Snapped his neck on impact.

It was in response to his wife's text "His game stated, when will you get here?"

The tragedy in all this was his past. He was a heavy drinker, arrested, hospitalized, even jailed due to drunk driving. He was clean and sober for over 8 years after his wife threatened to leave if he didn't stop that shit. His death was 100% preventable and now his family has to get on without him.

"I'll be t"

That was the text he was in the middle of writing when he drifted onto the shoulder, jerked the wheel, rolled the car and flew out the window. Snapped his neck on impact.

It was in response to his wife's text "His game stated, when will you get here?"

The tragedy in all this was his past. He was a heavy drinker, arrested, hospitalized, even jailed due to drunk driving. He was clean and sober for over 8 years after his wife threatened to leave if he didn't stop that shit. His death was 100% preventable and now his family has to get on without him.

Very sad.

Sorry to hear that.

• Like 1

Horrible story, LiX. I"m putting my phone in the glove box from now on, and insisting that anyone that's driving me somewhere do the same. It is the least I can do for my family.
  • Like 2

My best friend is a cell phone zombie, yet she complains about social media and technology all the time. She'll even be talking to me and she'll just stop to go on her phone. Edited by thegirlintherushshirt

Thanks everyone, I'm hoping to get this story out to as many people as I can, hoping the people that still text and drive might get a clue.

We're only immortal for a limited time.

• Like 5

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/iphone-addict_zps95c2aa56.jpg
  • Like 2

I just noticed something I do... because of this thread. I don't often get text messages while at work, and almost never while walking, but I do once in a while...

I notice if I'm walking, I'll read the text, but if there is someone walking towards me, I put the phone back in my pocket, say "hi" and then pull it back out to finish reading the text.

• Like 3

I feel myself slipping towards too much with social media and am still aware enough to reel myself back in to reality. I definitely can see how it can take you away though.
  • Like 2

I used to text and drive and then in October I drove into the back of a truck that was slowing down in front of me. Clear day, only the two of us on the road. Worst spot to get in an accident ever. Now if I'm in the driver's seat my phone is in my pocket. I used to be able to go for 8-9 hour drives and not miss a second of twitter. Now I check it once every half hour for 30 seconds. That accident helped to turn my life around/make me less of a zombie.
  • Like 4

When I saw Dream Theater I watched the first set through the iPad of the person in front of me that was recording the entire show. I switched seats with my friend for the second set and all was good.