Why was Signals "the end" for some of you?

Lorraine

To me the biggest change was when they went from heavy progressive rockers to the 80s flashy/dancy/flock of seagulls kind of look and sound. Hard to explain to people who weren't there and didn't see it but it was like major culture shock.

I think I LOVE A Flock Of Seagulls. No shame there at all...

That's not the point. It was the change from one to the other, and that was hard to deal with. It was like they were becoming mainstream and not in a good way.

Yes, exactly!

And I think you really had to be there at the time to realize this. You wait a year for your favourite band to come out with a new album, drive down to the record store to buy it, come home and put it on the turntable getting ready to rock out ... and it sounds like mainstream crap :(

So disappointing.

I think this nails it for us "old/original" fans; after PeW, MP and then ESL, the anticipation was unbelievable for us true believers. I remember clear/vividly the first indication. I was playing NFL Strategy (a pre-PC now-obsolete game that I still swear by) as an 11th grader with a good friend and New World man came on the radio (probably DC101, Narpski). I remember thinking it was catchy and contemporary (the relatively new MTV was being carried by videos like Duran Duran's Hungry Like the Wolf), but "is this Rush?!?. I was a little worried but hoped for the best. Then the album came out and it was like WTF! Not horrible but WTF? Still I stick with them but the trend just got worse. In hindsight I can enjoy/appreciate Signals much better, but for someone weened on 2112 through MP, it just wasn't the same, and not in a good way at all. Without the baggage, I suspect I would have had a much more favorable impression of the album. If it was Rush's first album, I would have thought that this is a great/fantastic group. But instead I was disappointed. Expectations. Oof. I'm enjoying le Cup de Monde and my New Castle Brown Ales too much.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 4

To me the biggest change was when they went from heavy progressive rockers to the 80s flashy/dancy/flock of seagulls kind of look and sound. Hard to explain to people who weren't there and didn't see it but it was like major culture shock.

I think I LOVE A Flock Of Seagulls. No shame there at all...

That's not the point. It was the change from one to the other, and that was hard to deal with. It was like they were becoming mainstream and not in a good way.

Yes, exactly!

And I think you really had to be there at the time to realize this. You wait a year for your favourite band to come out with a new album, drive down to the record store to buy it, come home and put it on the turntable getting ready to rock out ... and it sounds like mainstream crap :(

So disappointing.

I think this nails it for us "old/original" fans; after PeW, MP and then ESL, the anticipation was unbelievable for us true believers. I remember clear/vividly the first indication. I was playing NFL Strategy (a pre-PC now-obsolete game that I still swear by) as an 11th grader with a good friend and New World man came on the radio (probably DC101, Narpski). I remember thinking it was catchy and contemporary (the relatively new MTV was being carried by videos like Duran Duran's Hungry Like the Wolf), but "is this Rush?!?. I was a little worried but hoped for the best. Then the album came out and it was like WTF! Not horrible but WTF? Still I stick with them but the trend just got worse. In hindsight I can enjoy/appreciate Signals much better, but for someone weened on 2112 through MP, it just wasn't the same, and not in a good way at all. Without the baggage, I suspect I would have had a much more favorable impression of the album. If it was Rush's first album, I would have thought that this is a great/fantastic group. But instead I was disappointed. Expectations. Oof. I'm enjoying le Cup de Monde and my New Castle Brown Ales too much.

Probably so. You and my dear x1yyz are right on point. You would have had to lived through one album to the next to really get it. That along with real life pulling you different directions (in my case at least) at the same time.....
  • Like 1

While many state that Signals is the beginning of the synth era, I contend its the end of the truly classic Rush period, which for me is 2112 though Signals.

While Grace is great and Power Windows very solid, I consider Signals the last truly classic Rush album (and my personal favorite).

And I agree with an earlier post that said it was the last record with the "classic Rush feel," right before they fully embraced the new wave ideal, musically and visually.

Finally, the setlist from that tour is one of best ever.

Edited by greg2112
  • Like 2

I love all Rush. The first album is my least favorite though, but anyways... I love the progressive Rush from 75-78, the "commercial/Proggy Rush from 80-81, the keyboard driven Rush from 82-87, the more guitar driven Rush from 89-97, the return to the roots Rush from 2001- Present. One minute I'll listen to 2112 and then I might throw on Hold Your Fire, or maybe Test for Echo.

Same here. I tease about Snakes and Arrows (and it genuinely was hard for me to listen to it all the way through), but it is not like Rush goes into the recording studio and throws any old music together just for the sake of doing it and getting it over with as fast as possible. They put their heart and soul, and an immense amount of time, into producing what they feel is THE best. For that, I honor them, and try to be respectful of all they have done.

Having said that, I think I will go and give S&A another listen today. :scared:

• Like 5

I love all Rush. The first album is my least favorite though, but anyways... I love the progressive Rush from 75-78, the "commercial/Proggy Rush from 80-81, the keyboard driven Rush from 82-87, the more guitar driven Rush from 89-97, the return to the roots Rush from 2001- Present. One minute I'll listen to 2112 and then I might throw on Hold Your Fire, or maybe Test for Echo.

Same here. I tease about Snakes and Arrows (and it genuinely was hard for me to listen to it all the way through), but it is not like Rush goes into the recording studio and throws any old music together just for the sake of doing it and getting it over with as fast as possible. They put their heart and soul, and an immense amount of time, into producing what they feel is THE best. For that, I honor them, and try to be respectful of all they have done.

I think I will do the same thing. I was inspired by Narpinski's recent listenings, and was pleased to discover that there is stuff I don't dislike as much as I originally thought I did ;)

• Like 2

I think I will do the same thing. I was inspired by Narpinski's recent listenings, and was pleased to discover that there is stuff I don't dislike as much as I originally thought I did ;)

That's the spirit!!! :cheerleader:

The only album I haven't really appreciated yet is VT. Its better than I once gave it credit for, but still not as good as the other nineteen albums...

The only album I haven't really appreciated yet is VT. Its better than I once gave it credit for, but still not as good as the other nineteen albums...

What really annoys me on the remix of VT is the bass drum. It sounds like it's way out in front.

What really annoys me on the remix of VT is the bass drum. It sounds like it's way out in front.

Why can't these so called "professionals" do anything right?

• Like 1

Why can't these so called "professionals" do anything right?

Because the only thing that actually makes someone a professional is earning money from it.

The bass drum annoys me, too, but not because of where it sits in the mix, but because of the EQing...it has an annoying high frequency "click" on each hit. I'm sure the intent was to help it cut through the mix, but it's too much for me.

• Like 1

That's the spirit!!! :cheerleader:

And I was inspired by Lorraine. Pay it forward...... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

The bass drum annoys me, too, but not because of where it sits in the mix, but because of the EQing...it has an annoying high frequency "click" on each hit. I'm sure the intent was to help it cut through the mix, but it's too much for me.

I listen to a lot of music in my car and it really comes up front there in particular. Ceiling Unlimited is one of the worst.