Albums of the year so far??

Well, we're half way through 2005, so what's rocked your boat from the albums released in 2005. My Top 5 would be

The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers

The Kaiser Chiefs - Employment

The Decembrists - Picaresque

Spock's Beard - Octane

Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jul 23 2005, 03:45 PM)
Well, we're half way through 2005, so what's rocked your boat from the albums released in 2005. My Top 5 would be

Spock's Beard - Octane

Quite certain Rilo Kiley's More Adventurous was released in 2004 wink.gif

Albums of the year for me so far....

The Mars Volta - Francis The Mute

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem

Billy Corgan - The Future Embrace

Kasabian - Kasabian (dunno about the UK, but was released in March in the US)

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth

There are a few other albums that are in the works that are slated to be released later this year I'm looking forward to. The Lovemakers and Depeche Mode readily come to mind.

System Of A Downs Mezmerize is pretty damn good. It took a few listens and everytime it gets better. I love Cigaro!

QUOTE (pixey @ Jul 23 2005, 07:12 PM)
System Of A Downs Mezmerize is pretty damn good. It took a few listens and everytime it gets better. I love Cigaro!

trink38.gif You could do worse than start with this goob, Kasabian, and Kaiser Chief's are worth a listen too, I'm an old progger/rocker too, but some of this new music float's the Highlander's Boat!

I am NOT into prog at all, I am an old punk/metalhead. I dont like the Kaiser Cheifs as they sound like a mix between The Strokes and The Clash. Yep go ahead and get on me but it wont change what I like or dont like. I just cant get into it, same with Coheed and Cambria, I dont like them either. smile.gif Its funny because I am one of those rare Rush fans over the age of 30 that has never liked Prog and didnt get into Rush from listening to Iron Maiden, Yes or any other classic rock band. I got into them from growing up listening to Blondie, Siouxsie, DK, DRI and such. And I became a fan in the 80's. Go figure. Yep I am weird. rantoff.gif

QUOTE (Freedom_Fighter @ Jul 24 2005, 01:13 AM)
i think it would have to be Mesmerize by System of a Down for me, but really i think that's about the only 2005 album i've got. well, i've got octavarium by dream theater i guess but that i'm sad to say what sort of a disappointment.

"Mesmerize" is the first CD I've bought in a long time. I usually steal mp3 from the internet because I'm too cheap (broke) (GAS IS $2.60 A GALLON, COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN, %!%$#%) to spend money on CD's. But when something this awesome comes out I have to support the artists. I don't see any albums coming out or that has came out this year that's even remotely close to this one.

Even if someone isn't a S.O.A.D. fan(if they like rock music at all), then I don't see how they can listen to the song "Question" from this CD and not like it, or at least appreciate it for the great work they done.

As Pixie said, At first I wasn't all that thrilled but after a few listens I was like. OMG this stuff ROCKS.... I also agree with pixie, Cigaro is probably my favorite song at the moment. Revenga is a close second, oh wait, Question is my second, AHHH HELL the whole cd is awesome!!!!

Everyone on this list should download "Question" and listen to it with an open mind and I have a feeling a lot of people will agree with me after they listen to it a couple times or so. Especially the last minute of the song, man LOL. SWEET!

Anytime I need motivated I put on "Cigaro" and it gives me a sudden burst of energy, and that my friends is awesome in my book, how music can get someone going like that. 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif icon_alienjig.gif

P.S. I just got tickets to see them in Jersey next month, I CANT WAIT!!!! 653.gif

SheriffJohnBrown mentioned Mars volta, they are playing with S.O.A.D., I never heard their stuff but if he thinks they have the album of the year then this is going to be one hell of a concert!!!

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jul 24 2005, 12:58 AM)

Spock's Beard - Octane

I don't think it was released here until April of this year (but I could be wrong)

On the other hand

Kasabian came out here in August of last year.

However, later on last night I was playing The Futureheads album, which I was convinced came out in autumn 2004, but it transpires it was 2005, so I'll happily sibstitute it for Rilo Kiley.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jul 24 2005, 08:38 AM)

Spock's Beard - Octane

I don't think it was released here until April of this year (but I could be wrong)

On the other hand

However, later on last night I was playing The Futureheads album, which I was convinced came out in autumn 2004, but it transpires it was 2005, so I'll happily sibstitute it for Rilo Kiley.

Heh sorry to be so nit-picky, but you did say of 2005. There are a few cds on here that I remember seeing on best of lists for 2004.

BTW, a bit of release date information, in the US according to cdnow.com...

Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous (August 17, 2004)

The Futureheads - The Futureheads (October 26, 2004)

The Arcade Fire - Funeral (September 14, 2004)

QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Jul 24 2005, 12:52 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 23 2005, 11:04 PM)
i would be surprised if i owned more than 3 or 4 albums made this entire decade!  i definitely don't have anything from 2005... unsure.gif

Me neither unsure.gif

Do they even still make music these days? wink.gif ph34r.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2005, 05:18 PM)
i would be surprised if i owned more than 3 or 4 albums made this entire decade!  i definitely don't have anything from 2005... unsure.gif

Me neither unsure.gif

Music is an ever-evolving thing. As good as rock was in the 60's and 70's, it is just not ever going to be that way again. As a music listener and appreciator, you have to be able to accept that the music you grew up with or your favorite kind of music is not going to return again. So unless you are perfectly content with living in the past, you have to be able to change your idea of what music is with what goes on. That doesnt mean you have to like everything, far from it, there is a lot of really bad music (just look at everything on the top 40 in the last 10, 15 years). But if you are willing to dig deep enough and give music an open ear, you may find yourself suprised with what is coming out today.

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Jul 24 2005, 01:16 AM)
QUOTE (pixey @ Jul 23 2005, 07:46 PM)
I am NOT into prog at all,

This claim is a little strange considering that you are on a Rush fan forum.

Well I said I was weird. On the other hand Rush is in a category all their own. I have never ever thought of them as strictly prog.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jul 24 2005, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2005, 05:18 PM)

Me neither unsure.gif

Music is an ever-evolving thing. As good as rock was in the 60's and 70's, it is just not ever going to be that way again. As a music listener and appreciator, you have to be able to accept that the music you grew up with or your favorite kind of music is not going to return again. So unless you are perfectly content with living in the past, you have to be able to change your idea of what music is with what goes on. That doesnt mean you have to like everything, far from it, there is a lot of really bad music (just look at everything on the top 40 in the last 10, 15 years). But if you are willing to dig deep enough and give music an open ear, you may find yourself suprised with what is coming out today.

excellent point Moonie yes.gif

for me albums of the year so far....

NIN-With Teeth

Foo Fighters-In your Honor

Mars Volta-Frances the Mute

Robert Plant and the Mighty Sensation-Mighty Rearranger

Kinsey-Sleater-The Woods

Audioslave-Out of Exile

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jul 25 2005, 01:11 AM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Jul 24 2005, 08:38 AM)

Spock's Beard - Octane

On the other hand

Heh sorry to be so nit-picky, but you did say of 2005. There are a few cds on here that I remember seeing on best of lists for 2004.

BTW, a bit of release date information, in the US according to cdnow.com...

Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous (August 17, 2004)

The Futureheads - The Futureheads (October 26, 2004)

The Arcade Fire - Funeral (September 14, 2004)

Damn, I was right the first time about The Futureheads - release date on this side of the pond was October 2004 as well. I bought my copy earlier this year, and it has a 2005 copyright mark, but that's probably because there are 'extra' radio edits of Decent Days And Nights and Hounds Of Love on it.

The Rilo Kiley album was released in the UK and Ireland on January 31st 2005, so I'll revert back to my original choice.

BTW - In support of my fellow countryman Hatchetaxe&saw, The Arcade Fire album, which I didn't include because as far as I knew it came out last year was actually released in these parts on February 28th 2005, so he's within the boundaries as far a local release date is concerned.

Archived