List Overrated Films

Mr. Not

I think the keyword here is "overrated" - not necessarily "bad" ( even though some are )

Off the top of the head:

- Forrest Gump

- Raging Bull

- Goodfellas

- Gone With The Wind

- Citizen Kane

How in the hell is Citizen Kane "over rated"? A movie that is among the most groundbreaking in the history of cinema cannot be overrated. It can't.

oh yes it can

There is no denying that it is a fine movie .. But not GOAT .. It just doesn't move me like a candidate for GOAT should

Granted, any film with such lofty expectations is going to have a backlash, but I just don't feel that it can fill the jock strap of many other - better - films

And what films would be better? Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it isn't on the very short list of GOAT.

I never said that I didn't like Citizen Kane .. But for me, it is not in the discussion of GOAT ... It is a good film .. It was influential .. It just doesn't grab me the way it does others ..

Greatest Of All Time can be different than Favorite, but when speaking personally, there is an overlap - but no one film for me is the GREATEST of all time ... Having said that, these come to mind before CK, spanning all eras:

- Black Narcissus - never saw

- Taxi Driver - great but not better

- Spirit Of The Beehive - no idea

- Vertigo - another great, but maybe not even Hitch's best

- Annie Hall - never saw

- Through A Glass Darkly - no idea

- The Deer Hunter - never saw

- Rashomon - awesome movie

- Blow Up - i liked it, but come on now

- 2001: A Space Odyssey - no desire to see this

- North By Northwest - my favorite Hitch movie and a top 5 all time for me. But better than CK, nope

- M - great movie, but not even close to CK

- Seven Samurai - ok, maybe

- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - great movie, but sorry

- The Tenant - no idea

My comments provided. For your reading pleasure ! :)

We could also get into leaning toward personal preference - which is valid criteria .. But with "GOAT" I think that there needs to be a certain amount of broad appeal that reaches more than just a handful of people

Highly debatable would be a movie such as Pacino's Scarface

Scarface has an 83% approval rating on RottenTomatoes. A good score.

A remake of Scarface is set to be released in August 2018.

Diego Luna is cast in the lead role.

The Coen Brothers are writing the script.

You may now proceed to go apeshit and destroy the abilities of Luna and/or the Coen Brothers. :LOL:

Coens are the reason I'll see it. They did a good job with Bridge Of Spies for Spielberg.

They nailed it with True Grit.

I thought it was better than the original.

...although I'm kind of biased because I dislike John Wayne.

Bridge of Spies was good too.

I've got no issue with the Coens attempting anything really. I've either liked or loved what I've seen. Others I just haven't seen

• Like 1

I think the keyword here is "overrated" - not necessarily "bad" ( even though some are )

Off the top of the head:

- Forrest Gump

- Raging Bull

- Goodfellas

- Gone With The Wind

- Citizen Kane

How in the hell is Citizen Kane "over rated"? A movie that is among the most groundbreaking in the history of cinema cannot be overrated. It can't.

oh yes it can

There is no denying that it is a fine movie .. But not GOAT .. It just doesn't move me like a candidate for GOAT should

Granted, any film with such lofty expectations is going to have a backlash, but I just don't feel that it can fill the jock strap of many other - better - films

And what films would be better? Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it isn't on the very short list of GOAT.

I never said that I didn't like Citizen Kane .. But for me, it is not in the discussion of GOAT ... It is a good film .. It was influential .. It just doesn't grab me the way it does others ..

Greatest Of All Time can be different than Favorite, but when speaking personally, there is an overlap - but no one film for me is the GREATEST of all time ... Having said that, these come to mind before CK, spanning all eras:

- Black Narcissus - never saw

- Taxi Driver - great but not better

- Spirit Of The Beehive - no idea

- Vertigo - another great, but maybe not even Hitch's best

- Annie Hall - never saw

- Through A Glass Darkly - no idea

- The Deer Hunter - never saw

- Rashomon - awesome movie

- Blow Up - i liked it, but come on now

- 2001: A Space Odyssey - no desire to see this

- North By Northwest - my favorite Hitch movie and a top 5 all time for me. But better than CK, nope

- M - great movie, but not even close to CK

- Seven Samurai - ok, maybe

- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - great movie, but sorry

- The Tenant - no idea

My comments provided. For your reading pleasure ! :)

We could also get into leaning toward personal preference - which is valid criteria .. But with "GOAT" I think that there needs to be a certain amount of broad appeal that reaches more than just a handful of people

Highly debatable would be a movie such as Pacino's Scarface

Scarface has an 83% approval rating on RottenTomatoes. A good score.

A remake of Scarface is set to be released in August 2018.

Diego Luna is cast in the lead role.

The Coen Brothers are writing the script.

You may now proceed to go apeshit and destroy the abilities of Luna and/or the Coen Brothers. :LOL:

Coens are the reason I'll see it. They did a good job with Bridge Of Spies for Spielberg.

They nailed it with True Grit.

I thought it was better than the original.

...although I'm kind of biased because I dislike John Wayne.

The original sucks. Great chararcter, horrible film.