Need USB Stick Advice

Lorraine

An extraordinary member of this forum sent me a while ago on an USB stick the ultimate Rush package. Everything you can think of is on this precious stick which I guard with my life. Seriously. I am in sheer terror that something will happen to it. What would I do if that happened??? :scared:

My question is whether I can transfer what is on this stick to DVD disks so that I can have a back-up in case, heaven forbid, anything happens to this stick. If the answer is yes, can some tech savvy soul here tell me how to go about it, including what type of DVDs or CDs to buy?

Thank you. :)

An extraordinary member of this forum sent me a while ago on an USB stick the ultimate Rush package. Everything you can think of is on this precious stick which I guard with my life. Seriously. I am in sheer terror that something will happen to it. What would I do if that happened??? :scared:

My question is whether I can transfer what is on this stick to DVD disks so that I can have a back-up in case, heaven forbid, anything happens to this stick. If the answer is yes, can some tech savvy soul here tell me how to go about it, including what type of DVDs or CDs to buy?

Absolutely!

1. Copy the files using your windows explorer (drag and drop or just copy/paste from the USB drive when plugged in to a folder on your computer).

2. Now you have a copy of all the files on your computer too.

3. Put in a blank DVD and copy 4.7 gigs worth to that DVD and burn it.

4. Continue doing step 3 (if the amount is greater than 4.7 gigs, which I assume it is)

You may end up with 5 DVDs or something depending on how large the USB drive is...

Absolutely!

1. Copy the files using your windows explorer (drag and drop or just copy/paste from the USB drive when plugged in to a folder on your computer).

4. Continue doing step 3 (if the amount is greater than 4.7 gigs, which I assume it is)

You may end up with 5 DVDs or something depending on how large the USB drive is...

Mike, thanks! The stick says "Lexar 32G" on it. It is big. We don't have Windows Explorer. My husband insists on using Opera.

When you say drag and drop, can you explain that more? Are you saying that when I open up the file on my computer - let's say the one that says "albums" - is that what I would drag onto my desktop? And, in doing that, it still also says on the stick?

You can tell I don't know anything about this type of stuff.

Also, what size DVDs should I buy?

Absolutely!

Mike, thanks! The stick says "Lexar 32G" on it. It is big. We don't have Windows Explorer. My husband insists on using Opera.

When you say drag and drop, can you explain that more? Are you saying that when I open up the file on my computer - let's say the one that says "albums" - is that what I would drag onto my desktop? And, in doing that, it still also says on the stick?

You can tell I don't know anything about this type of stuff.

Also, what size DVDs should I buy?

Ok, first - Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are two very different things. When you say your husband insists on using Opera, that is a replacemt for Internet Explorer, not Windows Explorer. You may know Windows Explorer as "My Computer" on your desktop (effectively same as Windows Explorer). Windows Explorer allows you to work with the files on your computer, DVD, USB drive, etc. Here is a screenshot of it:

http://www.michaelfurtman.com/images/WinExplorer3w.jpg

So when you plug in your USB drive, on that left panel you will see something like "E" or "G" drive pop up (D is usually your DVD drive unless you have more than one hard drive)

As for dragging and dropping and copying and pasting files from one location to another, here is a tutorial that is similar to what you want to do (more to do with organizing but same principle): http://www.michaelfurtman.com/windows_explorer.htm

Here is what I would recommend. open up "My Documents" and right click in any white space and choose "New ----> Folder" and name the folder something like "temp rush files". The go to your USB drive, select ONE file in blue highlight and then hold down "CTRL" button on your keyboard and press "A" (this will select ALL files on the USB drive and will highlight them all in blue). The RIGHT click on any blue file and choose "copy". Then go to the new folder you created, right click and choose "Paste" This will copy all the files from your USB drive to this new folder you created (that I called "temp rush files" above, though you can name it anything you wish...

Then once all those files are on your computer then you have a copy of them all on your computer as well as your USB drive.

Now, you will essentially do the same to copy them to your DVD, but since your USB is 32 GIGS, you will need to do it in "pieces", in other words you will have to select 4-4.5 gigs on files at a time and little by little copy them to the DVD until it is full, then do it to the next DVD with additional files, then again tot he next DVD, etc until all are copied to DVDs. If the USB drive is full (32 gigs), you will need approximately 7 DVDs...

Let me know if you need any more help. I am leaving to go out of town in a few but will return Sunday...

• Like 1

Also, one other thing... You may want to consider this instead:

Go to your local Staples or Best Buy or Office Max and buy another 32 gig drive. Take your Rush drive as well with you. Ask them if they can copy what is on your Rush USB drive to your new USB drive that you bought there. Should take them all of 5 minutes and I would bet any of them would be happy to copy it for you at no charge, especially if you are buying your new USB drive there...

• Like 1

Mike, I won't be doing this for a few weeks yet. But I think I will first go to either Staples or Best Buy and get another drive and ask them. Best Buy is usually very happy to assist, so I will go there.

One other question: is there any way I can mess this up so that I permanently lose what I already have? On the other hand, if I get another USB drive it won't matter. But, I would still like to know anyway just to be sure that whatever it is that could go wrong, I don't do. I really know next to nothing about the computer.

Mike, I won't be doing this for a few weeks yet. But I think I will first go to either Staples or Best Buy and get another drive and ask them. Best Buy is usually very happy to assist, so I will go there.

One other question: is there any way I can mess this up so that I permanently lose what I already have? On the other hand, if I get another USB drive it won't matter. But, I would still like to know anyway just to be sure that whatever it is that could go wrong, I don't do. I really know next to nothing about the computer.

Well a couple of things on that and I meant to mention...

1. If you choose to do what I said and copy the whole thing to My Documents, the one thing to make sure of is that you choose "Copy" and not "Cut" because you want to make sure those files remain on your thumb drive as well...

2. Either way, you should probably do this part I posted (if you feel comfortable doing it) just to make sure you have a backup copy on your computer as well:

open up "My Documents" and right click in any white space and choose "New ----> Folder" and name the folder something like "temp rush files". The go to your USB drive, select ONE file in blue highlight and then hold down "CTRL" button on your keyboard and press "A" (this will select ALL files on the USB drive and will highlight them all in blue). The RIGHT click on any blue file and choose "copy". Then go to the new folder you created, right click and choose "Paste" This will copy all the files from your USB drive to this new folder you created (that I called "temp rush files" above, though you can name it anything you wish...

Maybe even practice if you are nervous with another thumb drive with random files on it...

• Like 1

Just in case you are asking if there is a way to protect the thumb drive from ever being written over, I am not aware of any way to do that (I wish there was though, like in the old days with cassette tapes you could punch out the plastic on the edges so it couldn't be recorded over again)
  • Like 1

Just in case you are asking if there is a way to protect the thumb drive from ever being written over, I am not aware of any way to do that (I wish there was though, like in the old days with cassette tapes you could punch out the plastic on the edges so it couldn't be recorded over again)

Damn,

I forgot all about that with cassette tapes. :LOL: Getting just a bit older I guess. :codger: Thanks for bringing it in to the conversation.

:cheers: