FIFA World Cup 2014: Brasil

Aikenrooster

No way can anyone blame this on Messi? he was a one man show today for Argentina. No one else showed. up. There were few chances for both teams yet when Argentina had their chances Messi had German defenders on their heels and yet no one was in the right place to put it away. If he had the surrounding cast of players Germany had he would have been a hero.

I agree with this analysis. Argentina played great defense, though, for 99.9% of the match. Good for Germany to win, as it would have been devastating for them to lose another final. So this makes them 4-4 in World Cup finals, with 8 appearances?
  • Like 1

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tony R, Cosy Toes

Hi Nick!

Krauts again...

Yeah, sorry, it started at 4pm, here on the east coast, and 1pm, for the folks on the west coast. I guess most of us taped it and watched it later, as a "prime time" event. That's what I did.

No way can anyone blame this on Messi? he was a one man show today for Argentina. No one else showed. up. There were few chances for both teams yet when Argentina had their chances Messi had German defenders on their heels and yet no one was in the right place to put it away. If he had the surrounding cast of players Germany had he would have been a hero.

No-one else showed up? Mascherano was outstanding and Romero was good too. Lavezzi was excellent in the first half, I am presuming he was injured.

• Like 1

Heard it live on the radio, and finally just now got to see THE GOAL!!!! :7up:

The most beautiful GOAL!!!! And under glorious circumstances...great theater! Götze, in as a sub for the all-time great Klose, plays the perfect cross perfectly! :notworthy:

And Germany reigns supreme!!! :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

'SCHLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!

Germany definitely deserves this they were amazing. I wanted Messi to win but i'm happy with this result.

Man, I felt bad for Messi. I watched the awards at the end it it was just painful as he got the Golden Ball...
  • Like 1

I was afraid it would end in a penalty shootout and Argentina winning. It would suck so much.

Congratulation to all germans :)

I think ending on PKs would have hurt the event a lot, especially in the US market. It ended perfectly instead!

A well deserved win for Germany. Argentina had great chances of scoring, especially on the first half, but failed to deliver. But they were worthy oponents too, and fought all the way to the end.

I went for a jog straight after the match yesterday, from Leme through Copacabana and Ipanema - bad decision. The whole place looked like a New Year´s Eve celebration, and more than running, I did a lot of dribbling past drunk Germans and angry Argentinians, who were being mocked by Brazilians. Some small fights too, but overall, great atmosphere.

Going to work today I saw a bunch of hungover Argentinians picking up the pieces and packing up to go home. All local rivalry aside, I felt genuinely sorry for them.

Meanwhile, Luiz Felipe Scolari is no longer Brazil´s coach. We have a few games booked until the end of the year, and Tite is one of the favourite ones to take over from him, although there´s talk also of inviting José Mourinho. I don´t think hiring a foreign manager would go down too well with the Brazilian public. On average, we are more used to short term results and the public would question him at the very first draw. But they said there will be an announcement by the end of this week, so let´s see what happens.

• Like 1

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Tony R, Cosy Toes

Hi Nick!

Krauts again...

Yeah, sorry, it started at 4pm, here on the east coast, and 1pm, for the folks on the west coast. I guess most of us taped it and watched it later, as a "prime time" event. That's what I did.

It started at noon in the west and 3 in the east.

Didn't care for the argentine strategy. You have one of the most creative and talented offensive players in the world and you play a defensive style while Germany pushed the ball forward continuously with a 36 year old striker that didn't even finish the match.

For all the criticism of Messi's play (which really seems to boil down to "he was merely the 3rd or 4th best player in the tourny"), I saw him make the most beautiful and perfect long passes I've ever seen a player make. At least 2-3 times a game I just said, "Shit, I don't know that I've seen anyone place a ball that perfectly." I know it's not sexy, but it is incredibly skilled.
  • Like 2

For all the criticism of Messi's play (which really seems to boil down to "he was merely the 3rd or 4th best player in the tourny"), I saw him make the most beautiful and perfect long passes I've ever seen a player make. At least 2-3 times a game I just said, "Shit, I don't know that I've seen anyone place a ball that perfectly." I know it's not sexy, but it is incredibly skilled.

I agree - Teams strategies against him was to double and triple team him. That didn't happen to any other player.