Stereogum: Rush albums from worst to best

H. P. L.

http://www.stereogum.com/1685666/rush-albums-from-worst-to-best/list/

I usually like a lot the "from worst to best" columns in Stereogum. This one hits closer to home, as you might think. The intro is very well written - although, of course, nothing we didn't know before:

For a band that has sold more than 40 million albums worldwide, whose streak of consecutive gold and platinum records is topped only by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, trying to nail down the exact reason why Canadian trio Rush is so adored by so many is never easy. Reviled by critics — or worse, completely ignored — for a good portion of their career, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart have defied odds time and again, the music showing a remarkable amorphous quality, changing with the times yet never pandering, retaining an astounding level of popularity to this day.

Although the band’s groundbreaking combination of heavy metal and progressive rock was what made it famous in the first place, appealing greatly to the teenaged hesher crowd in the ’70s while the critical elite scoffed, to call Rush a “progressive power trio” today is like calling Bob Dylan a protest singer. There’s so much more to the band than that — more musical and thematic variety than many are willing to acknowledge. Rush has dabbled in new wave, electronic music, pop, reggae, and world music, the wide array of instruments all three employ redefining what a rock trio could accomplish onstage. The technical skill of the three musicians is staggering: Lifeson’s expressive, versatile guitar playing, Lee’s impressive dexterity on bass and keyboards — often at the same time — and not the least of which, the inimitable Mr. Peart, the only rock drummer alive for whom everyone remains in their seat when it’s time for his drum solo. Despite the musical chops on display, though, songcraft always comes first. Unlike so many progressive metal bands today, Rush has always known that even prog rock is pointless if it doesn’t have a hook. Not many bands can write an instrumental that compels a crowd of 40,000 people to sing along to it, but Rush have written several.

Additionally, Rush have always been incredibly grounded. Self-indulgent but always self-aware, a sense of levity has always served as a welcome undercurrent in the band’s work, whether making fun of their friends in KISS in a song in 1975, subtitling an instrumental “an exercise in self-indulgence,” the visual puns of the Moving Pictures cover art, or the band’s increasingly absurd and hilarious short films that precede each concert. The music can seem arch at times, but Rush always remember to laugh a little. It’s serious, but more importantly, it’s fun. It’s supposed to be.

Before Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Slayer attracted global popularity with little to no help from radio or mainstream music press, Rush set the standard. Not once did the band rely on music tastemakers to spread the word. Although the band received a couple mildly positive reviews from Rolling Stone, they were never given a proper feature in the 1970s or ’80s. Spin was always too hip for Rush. Goodness knows they never landed on the Village Voice’s annual Pazz & Jop critics’ poll.

Rush might be what Lee whimsically describes as “the world’s biggest cult band,” but never has Rush ever been cool. It’s unapologetically nerdy music, but it’s also welcoming. Cool people need not apply, and there’s something immensely appealing about that. It’s for everyone. If you go to a Rush concert today, you’ll see one of the more convivial environments you’ll ever witness at a rock show. Everyone’s on the same level, three, maybe even four generations represented. A lot more women than you’d expect, shattering the myth that Rush is a boys’ club. During Peart’s solos you’ll see fathers hoist their awestruck children onto their shoulders to witness the mastery at hand. And when “Tom Sawyer” climaxes, people, no matter how hip they are, no matter what age, will be compelled to air-drum along to Peart’s legendary fills.

• Like 6

Saw this and liked it. I agreed somewhat with the list. It surprises me how many people put VT and CA in their top albums. They haven't fully grabbed me yet but I can see what people like about them. I just can't see how they can put them above anything from CoS to MP. Just glorious years.
  • Like 2

Swap 2112 and Counterparts and I can agree with that list more. 2112 is a great song. 2112 is not that great of an album IMO, apart from the title track and Something For Nothing.

I have to say, it makes me want to go back and re-listen to S&A in its entirety, it's been just a selected playlist I listen to for years.

Also, AFTK so high... I dunno, I'm more into their 80s stuff...

I enjoy reading articles about Rush where the author knows what it's all about. Do I agree with the rankings? No. But like it's stated in the article, lists like this are meant for debate and discussion. Well done. Still, I can't comprehend how Permanent Waves is ranked No. 8. A travesty!
  • Like 3

I have to say, it makes me want to go back and re-listen to S&A in its entirety, it's been just a selected playlist I listen to for years.

Also, AFTK so high... I dunno, I'm more into their 80s stuff...

I threw S&A on a few days ago. I'm glad I did. Big fan of that album.

Saw this and liked it. I agreed somewhat with the list. It surprises me how many people put VT and CA in their top albums. They haven't fully grabbed me yet but I can see what people like about them. I just can't see how they can put them above anything from CoS to MP. Just glorious years.

This ^^^^^^ :)

BTW. Nice post H.P.L. Enjoyed the read :cheers:

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 3

Which song would this be??

" making fun of their friends in KISS in a song in 1975"

Was wondering the same myself. "ITIGB for Gene?..... :LOL:

Which song would this be??

" making fun of their friends in KISS in a song in 1975"

Was wondering the same myself. "ITIGB for Gene?..... :LOL:

That would make sense...and help me make more sense of that song! Have never heard before that it was written in that vein.

Nerdy music?

Nerdy makes me think of those lads at school who spent more time in a lab than alone in a bedroom.

Geeks are the gangly kids who feel suffocated by the narrow minded boundaries of social politics and strive to live via the awesomeness of whatever it is they enjoy doing, not quite nerds but geeky over things that are just...well AWESOME! Rush are geeky. Playful, intelligent and...well fun.

Nerdy offends me as well.

• Like 2

I disagreed with Test For Echo (about 11 for me), Caress Of Steel (about 8), Permanent Waves (2) and Vapor Trails (20) most of the rest was about right! (Swap HYF and Presto).

Nerdy music?

Nerdy makes me think of those lads at school who spent more time in a lab than alone in a bedroom.

Geeks are the gangly kids who feel suffocated by the narrow minded boundaries of social politics and strive to live via the awesomeness of whatever it is they enjoy doing, not quite nerds but geeky over things that are just...well AWESOME! Rush are geeky. Playful, intelligent and...well fun.

Nerdy offends me as well.

Nice post Segue..... :cheers: I can certainly identify with the "alone in the bedroom" thing.....
  • Like 1

I enjoy reading articles about Rush where the author knows what it's all about. Do I agree with the rankings? No. But like it's stated in the article, lists like this are meant for debate and discussion. Well done. Still, I can't comprehend how Permanent Waves is ranked No. 8. A travesty!

Eh, I think Entre Nous is mediocre and I'm not all that fond of Different Strings.

Eh, I think Entre Nous is mediocre and I'm not all that fond of Different Strings.

:tsk:

• Like 1

I love both those songs. I hate Jacob's Ladder.

http://www.stereogum.com/1685666/rush-albums-from-worst-to-best/list/

I usually like a lot the "from worst to best" columns in Stereogum. This one hits closer to home, as you might think. The intro is very well written - although, of course, nothing we didn't know before:

For a band that has sold more than 40 million albums worldwide, whose streak of consecutive gold and platinum records is topped only by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, trying to nail down the exact reason why Canadian trio Rush is so adored by so many is never easy. Reviled by critics — or worse, completely ignored — for a good portion of their career, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, and Neil Peart have defied odds time and again, the music showing a remarkable amorphous quality, changing with the times yet never pandering, retaining an astounding level of popularity to this day.

Although the band’s groundbreaking combination of heavy metal and progressive rock was what made it famous in the first place, appealing greatly to the teenaged hesher crowd in the ’70s while the critical elite scoffed, to call Rush a “progressive power trio” today is like calling Bob Dylan a protest singer. There’s so much more to the band than that — more musical and thematic variety than many are willing to acknowledge. Rush has dabbled in new wave, electronic music, pop, reggae, and world music, the wide array of instruments all three employ redefining what a rock trio could accomplish onstage. The technical skill of the three musicians is staggering: Lifeson’s expressive, versatile guitar playing, Lee’s impressive dexterity on bass and keyboards — often at the same time — and not the least of which, the inimitable Mr. Peart, the only rock drummer alive for whom everyone remains in their seat when it’s time for his drum solo. Despite the musical chops on display, though, songcraft always comes first. Unlike so many progressive metal bands today, Rush has always known that even prog rock is pointless if it doesn’t have a hook. Not many bands can write an instrumental that compels a crowd of 40,000 people to sing along to it, but Rush have written several.

Additionally, Rush have always been incredibly grounded. Self-indulgent but always self-aware, a sense of levity has always served as a welcome undercurrent in the band’s work, whether making fun of their friends in KISS in a song in 1975, subtitling an instrumental “an exercise in self-indulgence,” the visual puns of the Moving Pictures cover art, or the band’s increasingly absurd and hilarious short films that precede each concert. The music can seem arch at times, but Rush always remember to laugh a little. It’s serious, but more importantly, it’s fun. It’s supposed to be.

Before Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Slayer attracted global popularity with little to no help from radio or mainstream music press, Rush set the standard. Not once did the band rely on music tastemakers to spread the word. Although the band received a couple mildly positive reviews from Rolling Stone, they were never given a proper feature in the 1970s or ’80s. Spin was always too hip for Rush. Goodness knows they never landed on the Village Voice’s annual Pazz & Jop critics’ poll.

Rush might be what Lee whimsically describes as “the world’s biggest cult band,” but never has Rush ever been cool. It’s unapologetically nerdy music, but it’s also welcoming. Cool people need not apply, and there’s something immensely appealing about that. It’s for everyone. If you go to a Rush concert today, you’ll see one of the more convivial environments you’ll ever witness at a rock show. Everyone’s on the same level, three, maybe even four generations represented. A lot more women than you’d expect, shattering the myth that Rush is a boys’ club. During Peart’s solos you’ll see fathers hoist their awestruck children onto their shoulders to witness the mastery at hand. And when “Tom Sawyer” climaxes, people, no matter how hip they are, no matter what age, will be compelled to air-drum along to Peart’s legendary fills.

Dude this is so on point. Great work Pete!

I hate Jacob's Ladder.

• Like 2

If I could erase the bottom 5 entries (not Feedback) and sprinkle them where I wanted on the existing list, I'd really like this, the the 80s are valued too highly. The guy is at least knowledgeable.

I don't like the list at all quite honestly. I truly believe that Hemispheres, MP, and Permanent Waves, in whatever order, have to be the top 3 on any list. I will acknowledge that could be debated, but as ReRushed already suggested, Permanent Waves at #8 pretty much removes all credibility as far as i'm concerned. And putting COS second to the bottom just flat out pizzes me off!! :rage:

But I agree that the intro is very well written, and appreciate the post. :goodone: