Songs never heard; should be on new tour

yyz211282

This should be the encore for their farewell tour:

Losing It

The Garden

In the End

Goodness, I would love to hear Losing It in a live show (the only one from Signals they have never played live, if I remember correctly). I think I read they toyed with trying to do it recently (I would imagine the Clockwork Angels tour as the use of the strings would have helped it along), but the arrangement was just too much.

• Like 1

Losing It

The Garden

In the End

I could handle some of that especially that last one..... :cheers:
  • Like 2

Basically, I want a concert where all twenty albums are played in full. It can be spread over a few evenings. Its fine.

I have no life.

• Like 3

Losing It

The Garden

In the End

Except, with recent advances in reversing senescence, there never needs to be a farewell tour.

Scientists claim to be a step closer to reversing the ageing process after rejuvenating worn out organs in elderly mice. The experimental treatment developed by researchers at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, turned weak and feeble old mice into healthy animals by regenerating their aged bodies.

The surprise recovery of the animals has raised hopes among scientists that it may be possible to achieve a similar feat in humans – or at least to slow down the ageing process.

An anti-ageing therapy could have a dramatic impact on public health by reducing the burden of age-related health problems, such as dementia, stroke and heart disease, and prolonging the quality of life for an increasingly aged population.

"What we saw in these animals was not a slowing down or stabilisation of the ageing process. We saw a dramatic reversal – and that was unexpected," said Ronald DePinho, who led the study, which was published in the journal Nature.

"This could lead to strategies that enhance the regenerative potential of organs as individuals age and so increase their quality of life. Whether it serves to increase longevity is a question we are not yet in a position to answer."

The ageing process is poorly understood, but scientists know it is caused by many factors. Highly reactive particles called free radicals are made naturally in the body and cause damage to cells, while smoking, ultraviolet light and other environmental factors contribute to ageing.

The Harvard group focused on a process called telomere shortening. Most cells in the body contain 23 pairs of chromosomes, which carry our DNA. At the ends of each chromosome is a protective cap called a telomere. Each time a cell divides, the telomeres are snipped shorter, until eventually they stop working and the cell dies or goes into a suspended state called "senescence". The process is behind much of the wear and tear associated with ageing.

At Harvard, they bred genetically manipulated mice that lacked an enzyme called telomerase that stops telomeres getting shorter. Without the enzyme, the mice aged prematurely and suffered ailments, including a poor sense of smell, smaller brain size, infertility and damaged intestines and spleens. But when DePinho gave the mice injections to reactivate the enzyme, it repaired the damaged tissues and reversed the signs of ageing.

"These were severely aged animals, but after a month of treatment they showed a substantial restoration, including the growth of new neurons in their brains," said DePinho.

Repeating the trick in humans will be more difficult. Mice make telomerase throughout their lives, but the enzyme is switched off in adult humans, an evolutionary compromise that stops cells growing out of control and turning into cancer. Raising levels of telomerase in people might slow the ageing process, but it makes the risk of cancer soar.

DePinho said the treatment might be safe in humans if it were given periodically and only to younger people who do not have tiny clumps of cancer cells already living, unnoticed, in their bodies.

David Kipling, who studies ageing at Cardiff University, said: "The goal for human tissue 'rejuvenation' would be to remove senescent cells, or else compensate for the deleterious effects they have on tissues and organs. Although this is a fascinating study, it must be remembered that mice are not little men, particularly with regard to their telomeres, and it remains unclear whether a similar telomerase reactivation in adult humans would lead to the removal of senescent cells."

Lynne Cox, a biochemist at Oxford University, said the study was "extremely important" and "provides proof of principle that short-term treatment to restore telomerase in adults already showing age-related tissue degeneration can rejuvenate aged tissues and restore physiological function."

DePinho said none of Harvard's mice developed cancer after the treatment. The team is now investigating whether it extends the lifespan of mice or enables them to live healthier lives into old age.

Tom Kirkwood, director of the Institute for Ageing and Health at Newcastle University, said: "The key question is what might this mean for human therapies against age-related diseases? While there is some evidence that telomere erosion contributes to age-associated human pathology, it is surely not the only, or even dominant, cause, as it appears to be in mice engineered to lack telomerase. Furthermore, there is the ever-present anxiety that telomerase reactivation is a hallmark of most human cancers."

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2010/nov/28/scientists-reverse-ageing-mice-humans

Losing It

The Garden

In the End

Except, with recent advances in reversing senescence, there never needs to be a farewell tour.

Scientists claim to be a step closer to reversing the ageing process after rejuvenating worn out organs in elderly mice. The experimental treatment developed by researchers at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, turned weak and feeble old mice into healthy animals by regenerating their aged bodies.

The surprise recovery of the animals has raised hopes among scientists that it may be possible to achieve a similar feat in humans – or at least to slow down the ageing process.

An anti-ageing therapy could have a dramatic impact on public health by reducing the burden of age-related health problems, such as dementia, stroke and heart disease, and prolonging the quality of life for an increasingly aged population.

"What we saw in these animals was not a slowing down or stabilisation of the ageing process. We saw a dramatic reversal – and that was unexpected," said Ronald DePinho, who led the study, which was published in the journal Nature.

"This could lead to strategies that enhance the regenerative potential of organs as individuals age and so increase their quality of life. Whether it serves to increase longevity is a question we are not yet in a position to answer."

The ageing process is poorly understood, but scientists know it is caused by many factors. Highly reactive particles called free radicals are made naturally in the body and cause damage to cells, while smoking, ultraviolet light and other environmental factors contribute to ageing.

The Harvard group focused on a process called telomere shortening. Most cells in the body contain 23 pairs of chromosomes, which carry our DNA. At the ends of each chromosome is a protective cap called a telomere. Each time a cell divides, the telomeres are snipped shorter, until eventually they stop working and the cell dies or goes into a suspended state called "senescence". The process is behind much of the wear and tear associated with ageing.

At Harvard, they bred genetically manipulated mice that lacked an enzyme called telomerase that stops telomeres getting shorter. Without the enzyme, the mice aged prematurely and suffered ailments, including a poor sense of smell, smaller brain size, infertility and damaged intestines and spleens. But when DePinho gave the mice injections to reactivate the enzyme, it repaired the damaged tissues and reversed the signs of ageing.

"These were severely aged animals, but after a month of treatment they showed a substantial restoration, including the growth of new neurons in their brains," said DePinho.

Repeating the trick in humans will be more difficult. Mice make telomerase throughout their lives, but the enzyme is switched off in adult humans, an evolutionary compromise that stops cells growing out of control and turning into cancer. Raising levels of telomerase in people might slow the ageing process, but it makes the risk of cancer soar.

DePinho said the treatment might be safe in humans if it were given periodically and only to younger people who do not have tiny clumps of cancer cells already living, unnoticed, in their bodies.

David Kipling, who studies ageing at Cardiff University, said: "The goal for human tissue 'rejuvenation' would be to remove senescent cells, or else compensate for the deleterious effects they have on tissues and organs. Although this is a fascinating study, it must be remembered that mice are not little men, particularly with regard to their telomeres, and it remains unclear whether a similar telomerase reactivation in adult humans would lead to the removal of senescent cells."

Lynne Cox, a biochemist at Oxford University, said the study was "extremely important" and "provides proof of principle that short-term treatment to restore telomerase in adults already showing age-related tissue degeneration can rejuvenate aged tissues and restore physiological function."

DePinho said none of Harvard's mice developed cancer after the treatment. The team is now investigating whether it extends the lifespan of mice or enables them to live healthier lives into old age.

Tom Kirkwood, director of the Institute for Ageing and Health at Newcastle University, said: "The key question is what might this mean for human therapies against age-related diseases? While there is some evidence that telomere erosion contributes to age-associated human pathology, it is surely not the only, or even dominant, cause, as it appears to be in mice engineered to lack telomerase. Furthermore, there is the ever-present anxiety that telomerase reactivation is a hallmark of most human cancers."

http://www.theguardi...ing-mice-humans

i hope it works on vocal chords..... :ph34r:
  • Like 1

Losing It

The Garden

In the End

http://www.theguardi...ing-mice-humans

i hope it works on vocal chords..... :ph34r:

Hell, I hope it works on ME.

Yup, Losing It!

I love the song, but I think it is the most depressing song they ever did. At least for me.

I'll have to add this to the list of songs I need to go back and listen too.... :)

Yup, Losing It!

I love the song, but I think it is the most depressing song they ever did. At least for me.

I'll have to add this to the list of songs I need to go back and listen too.... :)

Just read the lyrics. Too close to home.

• Like 1

Yup, Losing It!

Ouch. The youthful wouldn't get it. Youth is always wasted on the young.... :codger:
  • Like 2

Yup, Losing It!

Ouch. The youthful wouldn't get it. Youth is always wasted on the young.... :codger:

I needed to read those lyrics today like a hole in the head.

Yup, Losing It!

I needed to read those lyrics today like a hole in the head.

If you were a dancer then it would double suck. You are loved here so you got that going for you which is nice.... :) :rose: Chin up and full steam ahead!!! :madra:
  • Like 2

Losing It most definitely! Heck, it should've been on the last tour since they had they whole string section going with them. Easily one of their absolute best slow songs.
  • Like 2

Yup, Losing It!

Growing old is indeed depressing. But it is also enlightening. Think of Losing It and Time Stand Still as two sides of the same coin and there is balance.

• Like 1

Losing It most definitely! Heck, it should've been on the last tour since they had they whole string section going with them. Easily one of their absolute best slow songs.

I so agree with you that my favorite RUSH song should have made the cut on the last tour. It was the biggest let down knowing it was over looked.

:rage:

Honestly I hope they give us a set with several unplayed songs. Specifically songs that should have been played when they toured their respective albums. Songs like:

Cut to the Chase

Open Secrets

Alien Shore

Different Strings

Chain Lightning

Available Light

Vapor Trials

Sweet Miracle

Even if they provide us with 4 of these songs I'd be happy. hell even two. Cut to the Chase should really have made the set long ago. There are very few time I would say: I can't believe they didn't play........ live. Cut to the Chase was one of those, Open Secrets, Chain Lightning and Available Light were others. I'm still astonished they haven't played Different Strings as well.

• Like 1

Before And After

The Fountain Of Lamneth

Lessons

Heresy

The Color of Right

Totem

Dog Years

How it IS

Peaceable Kingdom

Vapor Trail

I'd add The Necromancer, as the only record we have of them playing that song has such horrible sound quality.

The Unplayed and Unrecorded Tour:

Set 1:

Caravan - Album Version (Never Played Live as 3 Piece)

BU2B -Album Version - (Never Played Live)

Cut to the Chase (Never Played Live)

Chain Lightning (Never Played Live)

Open Secret (Never Played Live)

AfterImage (Never Recorded Live)

Limbo (Never Recorded Live on DVD)

Show Don't Tell (Never Recorded Live on DVD)

Clockwork Angels - Album Version (Never Played Live as 3 Piece

2112 (Entire) (Never Recorded Live on DVD)

Set 2:

R41 Instrumedley: (Working Man, By-Tor & The Snow dog, The Necromancer, A passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres (Prelude)

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacobs Ladder (Never Recorded Live on DVD)

Entre Nous

Different Strings (with Extended Outro Solo) (Never Played Live)

Natural Science

Test For Echo (Never Recorded Live on DVD)

Losing It -With Special Guest Ben Mink (Never Played Live)

Kid Gloves (Never Recorded Live)

Time Stand Still - With Special guest Amy Mann- (Never Played Live)

Available Light (Never Played Live)

YYZ - Drum Solo

Alex's Flamenco Solo - La Villa Strangiatto - Complete with Acoustic Intro) (Never Played Live)

Xanadu - (Entire)

Encore:

One Little Victory (New Solo Version) (Never Played Live)

Tom Sawyer

Headlong Flight - Straight through, without Drum Solo (Never Played Live)

Edited by losingit2k

I would love to see:

Losing It

Open Secrets

Second Nature

Chain Lightning

Available Light

Cut to the Chase

Alien Shore

How It Is

Long list, but I think it'd be neat to hear these live, finally.

• Like 1

The Unplayed and Unrecorded Tour:

Set 1:

Caravan - Album Version (Never Played Live as 3 Piece)

BU2B -Album Version - (Never Played Live)

Cut to the Chase (Never Played Live)

Chain Lightning (Never Played Live)

Open Secret (Never Played Live)

AfterImage (Never Recorded Live)

Limbo (Never Recorded Live on DVD)

Show Don't Tell (Never Recorded Live on DVD)

Clockwork Angels - Album Version (Never Played Live as 3 Piece

2112 (Entire) (Never Recorded Live on DVD)

Set 2:

R41 Instrumedley: (Working Man, By-Tor & The Snow dog, The Necromancer, A passage to Bangkok, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres (Prelude)

The Spirit of Radio

Freewill

Jacobs Ladder (Never Recorded Live on DVD)

Entre Nous

Different Strings (with Extended Outro Solo) (Never Played Live)

Natural Science

Test For Echo (Never Recorded Live on DVD)

Losing It -With Special Guest Ben Mink (Never Played Live)

Kid Gloves (Never Recorded Live)

Time Stand Still - With Special guest Amy Mann- (Never Played Live)

Available Light (Never Played Live)

YYZ - Drum Solo

Alex's Flamenco Solo - La Villa Strangiatto - Complete with Acoustic Intro) (Never Played Live)

Xanadu - (Entire)

Encore:

One Little Victory (New Solo Version) (Never Played Live)

Tom Sawyer

Headlong Flight - Straight through, without Drum Solo (Never Played Live)

Limbo hasn't been on any official live release.

• Like 1

Losing It

The Garden

In the End

Now that would be KICKASS! :)

• Like 1