Bad news for Bond fans

Jack Aubrey

From Coming Soon

MGM Puts James Bond 21 on Hold

Source: The Hollywood Reporter , Variety

September 30, 2004

MGM, which is being acquired by a consortium led by Sony Corporation of America, has put production of the 21st James Bond movie on hold. The film, which was scheduled for release November 18, 2005, will not be hitting theaters in its traditional November slot as originally planned.

MGM confirmed Wednesday that the studio and Eon Productions have not yet been able to tap a helmer for the next adventure. A lead actor to play 007 has also not been locked in. The failure to land a director means a mid-January start date would be tough to meet, making the previously planned release date almost impossible to make.

Producers reportedly are planning to meet next month to decide whether to aim for a Summer 2006 or November 2006 release date.

While the studio is keeping under wraps the script, by writers Neal Purvis and Robert Wade (the duo that wrote Die Another Day and The World Is Not Enough), the plot is said to revisit the grittier spy elements of earlier Bond pics, and to stray from the effects-packed entries of late.

Brosnan has said he will do one more. As far as Gruffudd or McGregor is concerned, take it with a grain of salt. Every time some hotshot new British actor comes along, everybody starts saying he's the next Bond. They've said the same thing about Eric Bana and Hugh Jackman.

Yeah, the last really good Bond movie was Goldeneye, that movie was much more story driven then action as the last 3 ones were. Hopefully during this time, they will find the right combination of directors/writers/producers/actors to make it work. Its a shame that the series is going to be put on hold for a while, but these movies will never die. there was a 6 year gap between Liscense to Kill and Goldeneye, but look how well it turned out after such a long period of time.

As for the new Bond, I hope they find someone decent to replace Brosnan when he leaves. McGregor wouldnt make a good Bond IMO, Bond has to have a certain element of charisma and maturity that I dont think McGregor has. Dont get me wrong, I do think hes a good actor, but hes not Bond calibur. As for the other suggestions, I do hope against it, I cant tell you how distracting from the movie it would be to see an American actor in the role of Bond. Tell you the truth, right now I dont know who would make a good replacement, Brosnan is really doing a very good job at it. Its just too bad the scripts and directing havent been there most of the way.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Oct 1 2004, 07:19 PM)
Yeah, the last really good Bond movie was Goldeneye, that movie was much more story driven then action as the last 3 ones were. Hopefully during this time, they will find the right combination of directors/writers/producers/actors to make it work. Its a shame that the series is going to be put on hold for a while, but these movies will never die. there was a 6 year gap between Liscense to Kill and Goldeneye, but look how well it turned out after such a long period of time.

As for the new Bond, I hope they find someone decent to replace Brosnan when he leaves. McGregor wouldnt make a good Bond IMO, Bond has to have a certain element of charisma and maturity that I dont think McGregor has. Dont get me wrong, I do think hes a good actor, but hes not Bond calibur. As for the other suggestions, I do hope against it, I cant tell you how distracting from the movie it would be to see an American actor in the role of Bond. Tell you the truth, right now I dont know who would make a good replacement, Brosnan is really doing a very good job at it. Its just too bad the scripts and directing havent been there most of the way.

OMG, you have so hit the nail on the head. this is exactly how I feel about it.

I heard that we can't rule Brosnan out yet. He says he wants to but he hasn't been asked........yet.

then again, wouldn't it be a good Sony publicicty spin to get people speculating about it, delay the film, more speculation about director and Bond, then get your sure fire success, Brosnan, back in for a blockbuster release that has had all the chat and build up. Might be a good idea when attaching the Sony name to the franchise.