The 2014 CFL Thread

Tinwoodsman

Well, I am not a huge sports guy, but football is decent fun to watch if you know what is happening. Excited so far because Winnipeg is doing exceptionally well with the new Quarterback Drew Willy, and we beat the Red Blacks in their first game to make up for The Jets losing their first game when they returned.

On the topic of different rules, I will always prefer the Canadian (from what I can understand). The Wider Field allows for more entertaining big plays, and the three downs makes it much more interesting as you see both teams switch possession more frequently, so it always feels more down to the nail when the score is tight.

I love CFL because of the single point. The game was never meant to have free touch backs, and, while I dislike the 25 yard end zones, the singles need to be brought back into American football by moving the kickoff location to a point, not where the ball goes out of the back of the end zone always, but where most balls will land in the end zone and the returner has to weigh the risk of running it out vs. giving up a point. Also, this would give another option to the offense when they have 4th and short from an area slightly out of field goal range.

They really should make this an NFL rule too. It would be far more exciting & it puts the responsibility on the receiver to successfully run the ball out into the field of play. Also the kickers would be forced to be far more accurate.

I love CFL because of the single point. The game was never meant to have free touch backs, and, while I dislike the 25 yard end zones, the singles need to be brought back into American football by moving the kickoff location to a point, not where the ball goes out of the back of the end zone always, but where most balls will land in the end zone and the returner has to weigh the risk of running it out vs. giving up a point. Also, this would give another option to the offense when they have 4th and short from an area slightly out of field goal range.

They really should make this an NFL rule too. It would be far more exciting & it puts the responsibility on the receiver to successfully run the ball out into the field of play. Also the kickers would be forced to be far more accurate.

two problems with this:

1) It wouldn't work without the 25 yard end zone. If a team got to the opponents' 40 to 45 yard line, short of gale force winds or zero degree temperatures every punter in the league would just put it in the stands. And in Denver it would be a virtually automatic point if you got to midfield. It would be fun to see some of the red zone defenses try to defend a 25 yard end zone though.

2) You think with Goodell's emphasis on reducing concussions, they're going to do something that increases kick returns? Not a chance.

• Like 1

two problems with this:

1) It wouldn't work without the 25 yard end zone. If a team got to the opponents' 40 to 45 yard line, short of gale force winds or zero degree temperatures every punter in the league would just put it in the stands. And in Denver it would be a virtually automatic point if you got to midfield. It would be fun to see some of the red zone defenses try to defend a 25 yard end zone though.

2) You think with Goodell's emphasis on reducing concussions, they're going to do something that increases kick returns? Not a chance.

Both fair points. But I'd like to see them give it a go. The O line would REALLY have to aim up to move the chains with increased 1st downs starting in their own 10 yard line.

With regard to punts, they would have to learn how to "torpedo" or "spiral" kick as they do in Rugby League. It's a totally different set of skills but it would be great to see.

Edited by Turbine Freight

two problems with this:

Your 2nd point is why it will never happen.

And, in the spirit of honesty, your first point is valid. I was only thinking kickoffs and not considering punts. Yeah, the offense would gain 1 point and get 25 yards of field position.

• Like 1

The Argos/Esks game was good. That was a real nailbiter. Like OMG.

The Esks are in the playoffs, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

• Like 1

Hello sports fans! It's nice to see some CFL interest here!

2 Cfl games on today (Saturday)

Sorry I didn't reply earlier!

Winning at Toronto 2pm cst/mtn time

Edmonton at BC 8pm cst/mtn time

Both on TSN.CA

no bad luck to your teams!

The 2017 CFL divisional finals (time warp) are being played tomorrow to decide who plays in the Grey Cup game next Sunday in Ottawa.

East Final ... Saskatchewan @ Toronto

West Final ... Edmonton @ Calgary

Good Luck Boots and Syrinx! I will be rooting for Saskatchewan who crossed over to play in the east because of a better 3rd place record than Hamilton and Montreal.

TTFN