What are you eating Right Now?

Maverick

Salmon cakes with Panko crust. I was not unhappy with the result. Crunchy exterior, juicy soft inside. Some might think I put too much garlic and onion in there but they don't have to eat it. :drool:
  • Like 1

Salmon cakes with Panko crust. I was not unhappy with the result. Crunchy exterior, juicy soft inside. Some might think I put too much garlic and onion in there but they don't have to eat it. :drool:

Recipe?

Did you use canned salmon? If so, which brand?

Recipe?

Did you use canned salmon? If so, which brand?

I use the pouches of skinless boneless salmon I think it's Starkist but it comes in the pink pouches. It would be a shame to waste fresh salmon on cakes. Everything I make is to taste I don't really do measurements. Never use flavored salmon or flavored bread crumbs! :rage:

Salmon, salt, pepper, finely chopped white onion and fresh garlic. A small dash of Tabasco just for a hint of the taste but not enough for heat. A squeeze of lemon wouldn't hurt. I mix the minimum amount of egg and bread crumbs with the salmon that I think I can get away with. Too little and it won't hold together, too much and it'll be dry and stiff. Making smaller cakes will help it hold together and still be juicy and moist. I usually make them so that a couple of them are a serving. Be careful when making the mixture not to break up the salmon too much. You want nice big flakes of fish, not a mush.

When breading the cakes I add salt and pepper to the crumbs, spread the panko crumbs on a plate, put down a small patty and then sprinkle more crumbs on top. You'll waste some crumbs that way but they're cheap enough. I use olive oil only with fish. Pre heat it to about medium so it's sizzling when it hits the oil. Time the cooking so that you only have to turn them once. I like mine fairly dark and crunchy.

A great side dish is mac and cheese. I'll make it out of a box but add extra sharp cheddar and a little sour cream. :drool: Oh, and I only drink beer with fish usually Boston Lager. Even white wine gives me that metallic twang. :givebeer:

Enjoy! :cheers:

• Like 1

A Heath Klondike bar

What did you have to do for it?

Absolutely nothing. And if they had asked, I would have told them to take a hike before grabbing my container of peanut butter stuffed pretzels, and sashaying away! :popcorn:

Edited by Lorraine

Homemade cheesesteak sub. Sliced ribeye, onions, green peppers, seared wih salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce. Slice of mozzarella melted over, stuffed into a sub roll.

For breakfast, I had two packages of instant oatmeal.

For lunch, half an apple with peanut butter.

Switched to butterscotch pudding with granola and other good stuff on it with whipped cream.

Then I had some peanut butter pretzels.

Finished off by my Klondike Bar and part of this huge peanut butter cookie with nuts and milk chocolate chips that the baker at the local Yokes made for me. She transferred to a Yokes closer to her home and, since I was once one of her best cookie customers until the cancer, she wanted to do something special for me before she left. I still stopped in to buy my husband a doughnut every day and bagels.

Well, whatever she conjured up in her bakery yesterday was delicious. I could have eaten the whole box.

It really does warm my heart to encounter such nice people in a world that is so cold. When she was giving me the big cookie, I was standing there crying and trying to hold my cane with one hand and the cookie box with the other and give her a big hug with both.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

For breakfast, I had two packages of instant oatmeal.

For lunch, half an apple with peanut butter.

Switched to butterscotch pudding with granola and other good stuff on it with whipped cream.

Then I had some peanut butter pretzels.

Finished off by my Klondike Bar and part of this huge peanut butter cookie with nuts and milk chocolate chips that the baker at the local Yokes made for me. She transferred to a Yokes closer to her home and, since I was once one of her best cookie customers until the cancer, she wanted to do something special for me before she left. I still stopped in to buy my husband a doughnut every day and bagels.

Well, whatever she conjured up in her bakery yesterday was delicious. I could have eaten the whole box.

It really does warm my heart to encounter such nice people in a world that is so cold. When she was giving me the big cookie, I was standing there crying and trying to hold my cane with one hand and the cookie box with the other and give her a big hug with both.

Dang. That is such a beautiful story.
  • Like 1