Marvel or DC?

jefeltner11

Which comic publisher is better?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which publisher of comics is better?

• Marvel
    • DC
    • Wildstorm
    • Vertigo
    • Dynamite
    • Boom
    • Dark Horse
    • IDW
    • Valiant

Hey! So I've noticed that there is little to no (recent) talk of comics on here and I've decided to ask the question that has been dividing families and ruining relationships for decades without end: Which comic publisher is better, Marvel or DC? Personally, I prefer DC thanks to their most recent era of "The New 52," but what do you guys think? (Including some lesser known, yet not uncommon publishers in the poll as well) Edited by jefeltner11

Well, I am a non-reader by now, sticking only to manga, but I like to go back and re-read old stories.

I'd say a little bit of both: I like DC for their iconic characters (namely, Batman) and Marvel for their attention to psychology and characterization (namely, the classic X-Men).

That said, I was quite put down by the new 52 and dropped everything. But I still have a ton of stuff.

in all seriousness I haven't read a comic in years (not since around the time of civil war/world war hulk/when it turned out spider woman and a shitload of people were actually skrulls) but I used to prefer marvel. people I know who still read comics all tell me DC is best now though Edited by bathory

no option for valiant?

Not sure if you were truly bothered, haha but I changed it.

no option for valiant?

Not sure if you were truly bothered, haha but I changed it.

lol no, like I said I'd have picked marvel when I was reading comics.

Edited by bathory

Even though Batman is my favorite of all time, I've always been more into Marvel overall. I haven't been keeping up with everything like I used to, but New 52 and Marvel NOW! seem about the same level of quality to me now, both with their pros and cons.

None of the above. Last Gasp, Kitchen Sink, and others of the 70's underground comics genre was what I was reading. Robert Crumb, Bill Griffith, Gilbert Shelton, S. Clay Wilson, etc. loved that stuff.

None of the above. Last Gasp, Kitchen Sink, and others of the 70's underground comics genre was what I was reading. Robert Crumb, Bill Griffith, Gilbert Shelton, S. Clay Wilson, etc. loved that stuff.

Awesome! I've never heard of any of those before!

I should do some assoication:

Robert Crumb: Best known for "Mr. Natural" & "Flakey Foont".

Bill Griffith: Best known for everybody's favorite microcephalic, Zippy the Pinhead.

Gilbert Shelton: "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" and their deathless motto: "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."

S. Clay Wilson- Bikers (The Hog Ridin Fools) and pirates (Captain Pissgums and his Pervert Pirates).

If it's still available, check out Mark James Estren's A History of Underground Comics as a primer-classic work.

I should do some assoication:

Robert Crumb: Best known for "Mr. Natural" & "Flakey Foont".

Bill Griffith: Best known for everybody's favorite microcephalic, Zippy the Pinhead.

Gilbert Shelton: "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" and their deathless motto: "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."

S. Clay Wilson- Bikers (The Hog Ridin Fools) and pirates (Captain Pissgums and his Pervert Pirates).

If it's still available, check out Mark James Estren's A History of Underground Comics as a primer-classic work.

Hearing the names with the titles rings a bell in some cases.

I find Marvel has more interesting characters, while DC has better writers and Vertigo has more interesting concepts. Image and Darkhorse have some great stuff too.

I grew up on reruns of the original spider-man cartoon and reading some of the older comics and loved it. While I wasn't very much into comics beyond that, I know more about Marvel characters than anything else.

That being said, I've been reading much more Vertigo and DC comics in the last few years than anything else, with Vertigo comics taking up the most space on my shelf. Since DC owns vertigo...I guess DC wins.

• Like 1

Have not read much in recent years but back when I used to, it was almost always Marvel. The Mighty Thor, The Avengers, The Defenders, The Fantastic 4. Collected them all back in the 1980's. Stopped for some years and then collected the Avengers again in the 90's / early 00's.

Never got into the X-men however. Tried them and X-Factor but just never got into them.

About the only DC title I tried that I sort of liked was The Legion of Super Heros.

Recently, based on (believe it or not) a review in The New York Times, I picked up a couple of issues of Ms. Marvel and found it to be ok. But nothing that I will start collecting.

Marvel gets my vote.

you dont like john byrne x-men?

Its strange I know but no, not really. A bunch of my friends liked them but I never got into them. They were reading X-Men for years and although I tried, I just did not get it. All through the Phoenix / Dark Phoenix saga, the Brood Wars, Days of Future Passed, clash's with Nimrod & the sentinals, the Hellfire Club, The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants etc, etc, etc. I bought some of the mags but it was just sort of going along with my friends.

Still have some of them but they don't click with me. Give me the might Thor and things like Surter's invasion of Asgard, the adventures thunder frog, Sets attack on Asgard, etc. etc. etc. any day of the week.

you dont like john byrne x-men?

It was said that he had the Midas touch back in the late 70s and 80s. The guy was brilliant, great writer and artist. Every run that he had in those decades was awesome: Avengers, X-Men, Captain America, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Marvel Team-Up, etc. My favorite comic book guy overall.

As far as a single story, I'd have to go with Watchmen. It's the perfect mix of all genres and not actually about superheroes.

As for a Marvel recommendation, I'd go with the limited series MARVELS ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvels ) , Marvel 1985 ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_1985 ), Rhe Avengers' Korvac saga, Uncanny X-Men's Dark Phoenix saga (or anything in the Claremont/Byrne run in the late 70s-early 80s), and The Ultimates.

With DC, Kingdom Come and, of course, Dark Knight Returns are excellent stand outs.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze