x1yyz

Still top 5 for me. Have had a "Rush month" listening to all the albums again and CA is still a solid top 5 for me... Hemispheres, Pictures, Waves, Windows, Angels.

I completely agree, it is in my top 5, love Caravan, Headlong Flight, Clockwork Angels and Carnies. I sometimes skip Halo effect but usually listen to the whole album. I never get tired of listening to it, along with GUP, PW, Signals and Vapor Trails.

• Like 1

SnA doesn't deserve to be in the same league with VT and CA. It has maybe 3 tracks that are worthy and the rest are pure misses.

Really? I think Snakes and Arrows is great!

I think none of them are great or even close. CA has about 5 good songs and two great ones but again the production sucks. VT has some good songs too but again the production. They could take the best from all three and make about a 10 songs album and reproduce it like they used too and not a bunch of noise and it would be awesome. A shame really...
  • Like 1

Good compositionally, but you can sort of feel there's moments where the execution is off. Whether it's in mastering decisions, or extra key/synth/ambient/studio sounds that are added in but don't add anything, or Geddy's cotton-balls-in-the-mouth style of vocal delivery from track to track. I honest to God don't know half the words to this album, and it's not for a lack of trying, but Ged is just not able to enunciate his vocals clearly in certain spots. Seven Cities of Gold is the biggest sufferer of the Ged vocals.

But, like I said, at it's core, it's a lot of good composition. Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels, Halo Effect, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, and especially The Garden are fantastic Rush songs. The Garden is simply amazing, a new direction and new level for Rush in that effort.

Caravan and BU2B were better in their single versions than on the album though.

A good album though. I'll never call it bad.

• Like 3

Good compositionally, but you can sort of feel there's moments where the execution is off. Whether it's in mastering decisions, or extra key/synth/ambient/studio sounds that are added in but don't add anything, or Geddy's cotton-balls-in-the-mouth style of vocal delivery from track to track. I honest to God don't know half the words to this album, and it's not for a lack of trying, but Ged is just not able to enunciate his vocals clearly in certain spots. Seven Cities of Gold is the biggest sufferer of the Ged vocals.

But, like I said, at it's core, it's a lot of good composition. Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels, Halo Effect, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight, and especially The Garden are fantastic Rush songs. The Garden is simply amazing, a new direction and new level for Rush in that effort.

:goodone: ... especially in bold Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

I do understand that you give a lot of credit to the compositions...BUT...

The mix may be to blame for not bringing the vocals more to the forefront, because there's a big, huge amount of sound around him (sound which I happen to dig immensely. But to each his or her own). But I honestly don't hear what you're hearing, in terms of his delivery- I don't get any sense of cotton balls. :huh:

• Like 1

:goodone: ... especially in bold

A million times yes. My biggest gripes with the album.

Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

The mix may be to blame for not bringing the vocals more to the forefront, because there's a big, huge amount of sound around him (sound which I happen to dig immensely. But to each his or her own). But I honestly don't hear what you're hearing, in terms of his delivery- I don't get any sense of cotton balls. :huh:

The only time on the album I can say Geddy sounds like he's having cotton balls in his mouth is during the higher parts on Seven Cities. He was singing a little higher than he should on some of those lines and some of them are hard to make out. But he's been having that problem live for a few tours now. Just a case of him getting a bit older and his voice not being able to do what it used to.

Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

The only time on the album I can say Geddy sounds like he's having cotton balls in his mouth is during the higher parts on Seven Cities. He was singing a little higher than he should on some of those lines and some of them are hard to make out. But he's been having that problem live for a few tours now. Just a case of him getting a bit older and his voice not being able to do what it used to.

Yes, obviously the tonal quality of his voice has changed, and his range has changed (though really not very much, I don't think, since about 1980). But I still don't hear on Seven Cities that he's out of his league, or sounding muffled or cotton-balled in any way.

He sang in a higher range than that for quite a few things on the R40 tour and did a phenomenally good job, in my opinion.

:boo hiss: to all of you and your cotton balls!

:P

• Like 3

Nope. Nope, nope, nope.

Yes, obviously the tonal quality of his voice has changed, and his range has changed (though really not very much, I don't think, since about 1980). But I still don't hear on Seven Cities that he's out of his league, or sounding muffled or cotton-balled in any way.

He sang in a higher range than that for quite a few things on the R40 tour and did a phenomenally good job, in my opinion.

:boo hiss: to all of you and your cotton balls!

:P

My issues with CA do not extend to Geddy's vocals. I really love his high notes on this record, and from day one I never found his enunciation hard to grasp.

In fact, it was his voice that initially pulled me in! And when I listen to it, it is the one aspect that doesn't disappoint me at all.

• Like 2

They do a fair job of covering up his vocal shortcomings on CA by using effects and pulling the vocals back in the mix, but by doing so they've also muddied up everything else.
  • Like 1

Okay so, Clockwork Angels is definitely in my top 5, if not higher. Personal favourites are as follows:

BU2B

Clockwork Angels

Caravan

Carnies

but I absolutely love all of them!

Apart from The Garden, Wish Them Well and BU2B2. Sorry but these last three don't do much for me :ph34r:

I agree that CA is great, but.....dude....not liking The Garden? It is the biggest goosebump song on the whole record:)

My favs are Caravan, BU2B, Anarchist, Headlong Flight, Garden. I also really like Wish Them Well.haha!

There are actually some parts of the Garden that are really beautiful, I haven't listened to it much but I think it's the chorus that I liked. The chords were really nice if I recall correctly :) I think the initial reason I skipped this one is because it's quite a sad/emotional song and I must have been in a bad place when I first started listening to the album, you know when you're so down that the slightest thing can set you off? :boohoo: I'm in a very good place right now so I think I'll give a it another listen on my journey home from work this evening! :)

I don't know if i am the only one who thinks this, but BU2B seems really over hatted here, favorite song off the album.

I love the song.

me to! :yes:

I meant me too.

:)

ME TOO! I think it's absolutely perfect and I especially love Geddy's harmonies that appear in the second chorus :heart: :geddy: