a begginner's guide to bass amplification

maxbeckmann

hi,

my question may sound silly but i must know.

is it possible to play through a bass amp head without a cabinet ?

i am wondering if i can plug a bass head (in my dreams, that would be an obvious orange ad200 mk) direct into a sound card (my actual focusrite scarlett 2i4) and listen to myself through headphones ?

the thing is that i live in a condo. i am not "allowed" to make too much noise. i do play via amplitude's orange ad200 amp, but i'm getting tired of emulation. i am looking for the "real deal".

i don't gig. it's for a strict personal use.

you guys get my point. i want to "recreate" as close as possible geddy's sound. (i'm in the process of purchasing all the rig i.e. sans amp rpm, avalon etc.)

as always, thanks for your consideration.

Short answer: No! An amp head must see a resistive load (like a cabinet or a speaker emulator box) otherwise you'll destroy it.

You can however put a speaker emulator box where a speaker cabinet would be, and feed that signal to your sound card. But ask before you do, just to be safe :)

Short answer: No! An amp head must see a resistive load (like a cabinet or a speaker emulator box) otherwise you'll destroy it.

You can however put a speaker emulator box where a speaker cabinet would be, and feed that signal to your sound card. But ask before you do, just to be safe :)

ok. i see geddy is using a Palmer PDI-05 speaker simulator (as listed in his gear list). is it something like that i would need ?

also, why is he having orange obc 410 cabinet in his gear list ? why would he need that ? (i am not sure to understand the concept)

thank you very much for your help.

Edited by maxbeckmann

You can use a Palmer PDI-05 but if budgets are tight there are some more affordable products around. I just can't think of any other than Palmer right now. About Geddy having a 4x10 cabinet could be for tonal variation. I suppose he blends the signals together.

Geddy's tone comes from his hands. His rig is too complicated to reproduce with one signal path.

The closest you are going to get is with multiple instances of Amplitube (and/or other like apps) and even then good luck. Understanding that the tone of a given rig and player is unique is half the battle. Not to mention it's a moving target because of amp/bass changes along the way. Just plug in and get things the way you like then wail away and have fun.

If you gave Geddy a Squire and a Sidekick it would sound amazing because he's playing. The gear plays little part.

I use an MXR-M80. It is also a DI box but will work for what you are doing. With a Fender Jazz bass it will get you close on that tone. Good mid-scoop and a little distortion (just a touch) for that growl. Play aggressive and dig-in a bit.

You can go out of the MXR right into your sound card, headphones, mixer, whatever.

I use an MXR-M80. It is also a DI box but will work for what you are doing. With a Fender Jazz bass it will get you close on that tone. Good mid-scoop and a little distortion (just a touch) for that growl. Play aggressive and dig-in a bit.

You can go out of the MXR right into your sound card, headphones, mixer, whatever.

are you telling me i could plug an amp head directly into my sans amp bass driver di and then into my sound card without worrying for the head im/explosion ?

You won't need the amp in front of a DI, but if the amp has a line out then theoretically you could run that through the DI but a SansAmp is an amp sim in itself. You could run that into your sound card directly. That's what it's made for.