Going Vegan

Nate2112

I'm a vegetarian but I find a large percentage of what I eat is vegan.

As far as advice, I can think of this: Take a vitamin B12 supplement as you can't get B12 with a vegan diet, and your body cannot manufacture it.

Also, yay!

Any suggestions on ideas for recipes? I don't want to go vegan but I would like to eat a little healthier.

Hit up your local organic market or farmer's market for fresh veggies, then look for ways to prepare them. The people at the farmer's market will often have suggestions on how to cook things. Try the unusual veggies & fruits that you don't normally see at the big supermarkets. Pair your veggies with grains like brown rice or quinoa.

This site has tons of good recipes: http://smittenkitchen.com/ Often, all it takes to make something vegan is an easy substitution: swap margarine for butter, veggie broth for chicken, vegan mayonnaise for regular. If you want to do some baking, use Egg Replacer (or similar) instead of eggs.

It takes a little while to get the hang of eating differently so don't get discouraged. Do what you can when you can. And if you go out to eat feel free to ask the waiter if there are vegan/vegetarian choices that are not on the menu.

• Like 1

My husband bought me this book...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1451636741/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=chechl-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1451636741

I never feel like I'm eating vegan anything when I make her recipes. Especially the mushroom stuffed won-tons, I swear they taste just like I'm eating beef with veggies. So delicious.

Also, I second x1yyz on the B12, I buy a fortified brewers yeast and just eat it. But that's a bit too much for some people, my acupuncturist also has little B12 patches that he sticks behind my ear.

• Like 1

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=1451636741

I never feel like I'm eating vegan anything when I make her recipes. Especially the mushroom stuffed won-tons, I swear they taste just like I'm eating beef with veggies. So delicious.

Also, I second x1yyz on the B12, I buy a fortified brewers yeast and just eat it. But that's a bit too much for some people, my acupuncturist also has little B12 patches that he sticks behind my ear.

I have B12 issues like CRAZY ever since I was about 13 even before i started eating this way. I can't take the supplements but someone else recommended the nutritional yeast... i think i might try that.

*edited because I called you "Al" for some weird Freudian reason... :LMAO:

Edited by Ya_Big_Tree
  • Like 1

I have B12 issues like CRAZY ever since I was about 13 even before i started eating this way. I can't take the supplements but someone else recommended the nutritional yeast... i think i might try that.

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/product/supplements/brewers-yeast-and-nutritional-flakes/nutritional-yeast-flakes-10-oz/?gclid=CKHf69WUsb4CFYlafgodO0IASA

This is the stuff that I buy.

Love, Al.

• Like 1

Nutritional yeast is delicious! It's great on salads and grains.

• Like 1

What's the difference between vegan and vegitarian? :huh:

Vegetarians don't eat dead animals (or things like gelatin made from dead animals) but will eat eggs and milk products.

Vegans don't eat any animal products at all, and often don't wear leather or wool either.

Vegetarians don't eat dead animals (or things like gelatin made from dead animals) but will eat eggs and milk products.

Vegans don't eat any animal products at all, and often don't wear leather or wool either.

I admire the folks who have such discipline. I pay pretty close attention to what I eat but this (vegan anyway) seems like lots of work to me...... :)

I admire the folks who have such discipline. I pay pretty close attention to what I eat but this (vegan anyway) seems like lots of work to me...... :)

It's not work if that's how you're supposed to eat for whatever reason. What I see as work is straying from my diet guidelines and not being sure if I'm going to have a reaction to something or feel ill afterwards. After years of torture and hating food and eating I've finally found a food plan that works for me. It's very much vegan in design but like I said I do eat the odd piece of grassfed meat. I'm slowly coming to terms that I may have to phase that out soon too. Raw vegan food has been so healing to me.

• Like 2

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

I have the digestion of a cat in that respect. Cats and me can't digest pork. :no:

But it does smell good... mmm all those nitrates.

:P

Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste good.

Bacon was the last meat I ate as I shifted into being vegetarian. It was tough to leave behind so I cheated a few times. But that was at least seven years ago. Now I still enjoy the smell of bacon, but I have no desire to eat it.

• Like 1

And they both have bowel movements that could fell a forest of sequoias. We've got one of each currently in the office and you do. Not. Follow them into the bathroom after lunch. The same applied to the three other we've had come and go in the 7 years I've worked here. (Another thing I've noticed - you can leave 10 cans of Febreze in each stall and the worst offenders never realize it's meant for them).

I realize I'm generalizing based on a sample of five, but what is up with that? Is it all the beans? During my own 2 years in the vegetarian world I probably wasn't the best about maintaining a balanced diet (I was in college - nobody eats balanced meals in college) but I don't remember my roommates ever complaining about me stinking up the shared bathroom.

• Like 2

And they both have bowel movements that could fell a forest of sequoias. We've got one of each currently in the office and you do. Not. Follow them into the bathroom after lunch. The same applied to the three other we've had come and go in the 7 years I've worked here. (Another thing I've noticed - you can leave 10 cans of Febreze in each stall and the worst offenders never realize it's meant for them).

I realize I'm generalizing based on a sample of five, but what is up with that? Is it all the beans? During my own 2 years in the vegetarian world I probably wasn't the best about maintaining a balanced diet (I was in college - nobody eats balanced meals in college) but I don't remember my roommates ever complaining about me stinking up the shared bathroom.

It's all the fibre! :LMAO:

They prolly need to combine their proteins and fibres differently. I know if you eat too many nuts or too much quinoa you can have constipation issues and if you eat your fruit after meals you'll get nasty gas.

Needed that.... :LOL:

Edit: I'll let my wife know she's vegan (honorary) when she gets home from work....

Edited by Narpski

So, without getting TMI, I don't really have this problem. Certainly it's no worse than the average person.

And as far as the beans myth, if a person isn't used to eating a certain food (beans, fruit, tons of veggies, etc.) at first it may cause, uh, intestinal differences. But after a short while your body gets used to processing that food and everything goes back to normal.

• Like 1

So, is honey vegan? I say no. It's bee spit.

No honey isn't vegan but a lot of vegans still eat it for whatever reason. Agave syrup is a vegan alternative for a similar sweet taste.

Yeah, I tried agave. Me no likey.I still can't give up my oil-filled, plastic creamer!!
  • Like 1