Frank Zappa

^ from everything I've heard, zappa's old lady is pretty weird. if you upload a youtube cover of watermelon in easter hay, expect an angry letter. hell, she'll sue you for trying to grow frank's facial hair.

^ from everything I've heard, zappa's old lady is pretty weird. if you upload a youtube cover of watermelon in easter hay, expect an angry letter. hell, she'll sue you for trying to grow frank's facial hair.

Yeah...she's a royal beyatch! Like I said, I was trying to get her to release stuff that would sound better than the average bootleg tape, and she's worried about something that was an issue 20+ years ago! But NO ONE BUYS LIVE BOOTLEGS ANYMORE! It's all download and trading... I GET it that way back when you guys lost money because people were releasing stuff you didn't release and THEY were making money from it..(and even then people weren't making THAT much money on it, and they people that WERE making the money only wanted stuff that the bands weren't putting out!) (now we're talking the live stuff, not the overseas trend of making a copy of a studio album and trying to sell it as the real deal)

But if they released stuff that was even borderline mixed...people would go APEshat over it and buy the heck out of it!

The fact that one of the last good live releases had some stupid booklet, a toilet cover and a damn balloon in it showed me that she's freaking clueless!

There was SOME sort of deal made recently with Frank's "vault" we can only hope that stuff starts to appear... He recorded mostly every show...even of they put out a 3-4 disc set of odd's and ends occasionally people would be thrilled!

I'm still eagerly waiting for a DVD of the Roxy gig. There was a trailer for it on the Baby Snakes DVD, and that was released 10 years ago or more...so where's my Roxy DVD dammit :rage:

I'm still eagerly waiting for a DVD of the Roxy gig. There was a trailer for it on the Baby Snakes DVD, and that was released 10 years ago or more...so where's my Roxy DVD dammit :rage:

Yeah, she keeps dangling that one like a damn carrot!

I like me some Zappa from time to time. My only significant criticism is that he didn't really write memorable melodies. That's all I got.

Vocally you mean?

Because Peaches, Watermelon in Easter Hay, Green Genes,

I didn't mean to imply he never wrote a memorable melody. And yes, I guess I mean vocally. Zappa songs don't get caught in my head because of the vocal melodies.

I like me some Zappa from time to time. My only significant criticism is that he didn't really write memorable melodies. That's all I got.

Vocally you mean?

Because Peaches, Watermelon in Easter Hay, Green Genes,

I didn't mean to imply he never wrote a memorable melody. And yes, I guess I mean vocally. Zappa songs don't get caught in my head because of the vocal melodies.

Well I agree, a lot of the time he ad-libs, commentates, talks, or even "raps". Two songs that really get stuck in my head for the repetitious (& great) vocal melodies are "Token of My Extreme" & "Heavenly Bank Account"

• Like 2

Here's Weird Al's tribute to Frank Zappa, writing a song in his style... But again, Zappa's influence on Al can be seen far beyond just this one song.

Apparently Dweezil played the guitar solo for the intro of this song too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VuiBBX6aZA

He nailed it. lol

• Like 1

Say what you want about Weird Al, he's no f***ing slouch. and his band...they can pretty much play anything. Al lucked out.

i saw and met Al. one of my most fun nights out. very humble guy too.

Mick

• Like 1

One Size Fits All is now my favorite Frank Zappa album.

One Size was my first album, and I've accumulated a modest FZ collection since. I don't listen to him much anymore, but One Size is still played maybe once a year just because it's that friggin good.

One Size Fits All is now my favorite Frank Zappa album.

One Size was my first album, and I've accumulated a modest FZ collection since. I don't listen to him much anymore, but One Size is still played maybe once a year just because it's that friggin good.

Good place to start. Perfectly sums up that period in his career, the funky jazz fusiony stuff.

I love Zappa in NY. Torture never stops. I swear you never hear guitar Solos like that Anymore.

He never get's proper credit on the guitar, IMO

Mick

This is why people like Segue will never really get it. They have a bias and it holds true. Shame because he was a genius.

• Like 1

I love Zappa in NY. Torture never stops. I swear you never hear guitar Solos like that Anymore.

Mick

This is why people like Segue will never really get it. They have a bias and it holds true. Shame because he was a genius.

They only see face Value.........which is surface weirdness........and granted it is there, lol. but they almost don't WANT to look deeper.

Mick

This was true maybe 20 years ago. If anything, he's mostly known for being a guitarist now when he was actually much more.

And yes, he's a very creative player.

• Like 1