Frank Zappa

Never really got into Zappa's music although I always kinda meant to.

I could could probably watch interviews of the guy on YouTube all day long though, Very smart, articulate and interesting! His stuff on censorship is the best! RIP FZ!

• Like 2

Zappa did some great albums it's true but in fairness a sizeable proportion of his output was shit. He got away with a lot of rubbish because he was the intellectual musos' darling. Whenever Zappa is mentioned by the chattering classes it's as if all critical balance absents itself.

However, when he was good he did nail it. Sheik Yerbouti, Hot Rats, Joe's Garage, Apostrophe all deserve their reputations.

yeah, I don't think zappa was nearly as smart as he and his fans thought he was. his "satire", for the most part, never did it for me.

Zappa did some great albums it's true but in fairness a sizeable proportion of his output was shit. He got away with a lot of rubbish because he was the intellectual musos' darling. Whenever Zappa is mentioned by the chattering classes it's as if all critical balance absents itself.

However, when he was good he did nail it. Sheik Yerbouti, Hot Rats, Joe's Garage, Apostrophe all deserve their reputations.

yeah, I don't think zappa was nearly as smart as he and his fans thought he was. his "satire", for the most part, never did it for me.

Yeah zappas satire was uncomfortable at times, especially live. Got the feeling band mates had to laugh at his antics, as part of their performance, just seemed forced on occasion on stage.

Edited by condemned2bfree

"Punky's Whips!" One of the greatest songs ever made! I'm a big ANGEL fan so I love it even more! Punky Meadows! Guitarist of Angel.

Terry Bozzio steals the show here! Check this shit out!

Terry Bozzio is awesome!

Yeah zappas satire was uncomfortable at times, especially live. Got the feeling band mates had to laugh at his antics, as part of their performance, just seemed forced on occasion on stage.

It's never seemed that way to me. They were very good at following Frank's lead when he went on to Whipping Post Floss or something, they seemed to enjoy the amount of f*cks Frank didn't give

It's never seemed that way to me. They were very good at following Frank's lead when he went on to Whipping Post Floss or something, they seemed to enjoy the amount of f*cks Frank didn't give

Dont get me wrong, love frank. He was on occassion hilarious - his music mostly genius. But like his music his humour was very hit and miss for me,probably more.

so. Icke's laughs seem forced on broadway to me sometimes; but hey what do i know?

So far I delved this far:

Hot Rats

Apostrophe

Sheik Yerbouti

Joe's Garage

You Are What You Is

Civlization Phase 3

And, while still great, I'd say Apostrophe is actually my least favorite so far. Not pulling anyone's leg here or trying to be a maverick, I love all of these albums.

It's very refreshing listening to Zappa as well as fun and exciting, knowing there's a great wealth of material. I love this guy. I often have mentioned on this forum that I started to really get into music in 2005 after being introduced to Coheed and Cambria, but before that I was listening to nothing but all of Weird Al's CDs for years... And I can definitely see how Frank Zappa influenced Al, it's as plain as day, so this is great because I feel like I've come full circle (not that I'm anywhere near done rotating yet).

• Like 1

Here's Weird Al's tribute to Frank Zappa, writing a song in his style... But again, Zappa's influence on Al can be seen far beyond just this one song.

Apparently Dweezil played the guitar solo for the intro of this song too.

I absolutely love Zappa, but I'll shut up now... The guy cared for music and comedy; he didn't care for worship:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyXjG7UupnA

• Like 2

I first heard Zappa when my cousin played me Dinah Mo Humm, and a few other things here and there (he was in the Midnight Special, and SNL) But I really dug into his stuff once someone brought Joe's Garage to a party, and I started buying my own stuff.... I went from that to Sheik Yerbouti, to Ship Arriving too Late to Save a Drowning Witch, to You Are What You Is. So a lot of the more comedic stuff at first....then I got the LSO album, and the classical side came out...but it wasn't what I was looking for...so I started getting into the older stuff...so basically 30-odd years later, I have everything official, and a lot of un-official...

He's a hit and miss sort of guy...you either like parts of his catalog or you hate it.. Not a huge fan of the "Flo & Eddie" years, or the overly classical stuff, I REALLY hate the Synclavier stuff...it just grates on my mind! But I really love some of the older stuff, and the Grand Wazoo/Waka Jawaka years! They just released some live stuff from that era about 3-4 years ago that's just awesome!

The You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore set is probably my "go-to" stuff when I'm in the mood! I wish they'd put more of that out!

I first heard Zappa when my cousin played me Dinah Mo Humm, and a few other things here and there (he was in the Midnight Special, and SNL) But I really dug into his stuff once someone brought Joe's Garage to a party, and I started buying my own stuff.... I went from that to Sheik Yerbouti, to Ship Arriving too Late to Save a Drowning Witch, to You Are What You Is. So a lot of the more comedic stuff at first....then I got the LSO album, and the classical side came out...but it wasn't what I was looking for...so I started getting into the older stuff...so basically 30-odd years later, I have everything official, and a lot of un-official...

He's a hit and miss sort of guy...you either like parts of his catalog or you hate it.. Not a huge fan of the "Flo & Eddie" years, or the overly classical stuff, I REALLY hate the Synclavier stuff...it just grates on my mind! But I really love some of the older stuff, and the Grand Wazoo/Waka Jawaka years! They just released some live stuff from that era about 3-4 years ago that's just awesome!

The You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore set is probably my "go-to" stuff when I'm in the mood! I wish they'd put more of that out!

Im not a big classical guy. I apreciate it even really enjoy some (Yellow Shark/LSO) but not so much others or the Synclavier stuff even though the Perfect Stranger is one of my favorite albums. I dont love the Flo and Eddie stuff but Billy the Mountain may be my favorite piece of Zappa music. I guess I am a bit of an anomaly. My favorite Zappa period is the more musical stuff Grand Wazoo thru OSFA. Its jazzier and virtuostic at rhe same time. Beats fusion any day (except Miles of course). Following that his period between 77-82 is great and his 88 band stuff is f***ing incredible. I am an aficionado of that tour.

• Like 1

Im not a big classical guy. I apreciate it even really enjoy some (Yellow Shark/LSO) but not so much others or the Synclavier stuff even though the Perfect Stranger is one of my favorite albums. I dont love the Flo and Eddie stuff but Billy the Mountain may be my favorite piece of Zappa music. I guess I am a bit of an anomaly. My favorite Zappa period is the more musical stuff Grand Wazoo thru OSFA. Its jazzier and virtuostic at rhe same time. Beats fusion any day (except Miles of course). Following that his period between 77-82 is great and his 88 band stuff is f***ing incredible. I am an aficionado of that tour.

Well the Yellow Shark stuff is pretty wild, just because it's really different from the LSO stuff.... Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the classical stuff from a "won't listen to it" standpoint...but when I first grabbed it, it wasn't what I wanted...the impressive Yellow Shark thing was when they did their version of G-Spot Tornado...that impressed me!

What bugs me about the Synclavier stuff is that it's too easy to just put stuff into the computer, and release it...like it seems that he gets his "melody" then refines it...then puts "eyebrows" on it...then puts other parts on it, and it gets to a point where it feels like there's just too much space taken up and "ok it's done"! he didn't seem to do that as MUCH with Jazz From Hell, he tried to do the "Lumpy Gravy" thing with Civilization Phaze III, and it had it's moments, but to me missed the whole mark....the last few things they put out were just horrible! (I can't listen to Dance Me This)

Billy the Mountain is a different animal...it's more like a "play"...the other Flo and Eddie stuff gets old quick!

I really wish that they would just pull live stuff from his vaults, and start releasing old concerts! I got into a nasty email argument with Gail Zappa a few years back...I told her that people are seeking out and downloading crappy sounding bootleg shows years back because they just want LIVE MUSIC! And as soon as I mentioned the word "bootleg" she started into "you people and your bootlegs ruined the music industry, and you're selling these things and people that are trying to make an honest living aren't making any money off of them" etc... I said first of all...not many people actually BUY bootlegs anymore..it's all trading, and downloading...second of all...you run things through the ringer with professional and over the top processing...and then you put junk in the box, and sell it overpriced, and people don't want to buy it... look at what King Crimson does, and puts out old stuff that sounds decent, with no major packaging...I said HELL, get some kids that are taking recording at Musicians Institute to do the preliminary mixing and mastering, then send it to someone to do the final tweaking,put it into a folder with the date and setlist on it and sell it for $15-20 bucks a show! Or even put it online to download for less! People will go CRAZY with that stuff!

But I love the old Zappa live stuff...Vinnie Coliauta, Ed Mann (Amazing percussion knowledge...fun to ask questions to), Terry Bozzio..Ike Willis (fun guy to talk to at Project Object shows) Ray White, Tommy Mars! All those mid-late 70's-early 80' bands could PLAY!!!

• Like 1