Frank Zappa

He's basically his own genre. It depends on the sort of stuff do you like. If you like Steve Vai, check out his song "Watermelon in Easter Hay". It's a fantastic instrumental. His albums, Hot Rats, Joe's Garage, & Apostrophe are great starting points.
  • Like 1

I think he styled his own genre. An incredible, imaginative dude, fantastic ideas, and he knew how to get the best out of his fellow musicians, like Terry Bozzio, the drummer.

Zappa In New York (1977) is a combination of jazz fusion, comedy rock, hard rock and progressive rock. Might try that one.

• Like 3

Love the guy.

Yeah, he doesn't really fit into a genre, unless that genre is simply "music". He could jump from one style of music to another mid song..even mid line.

As Union said above, "Watermelon in Easter Hay" is an absolutely beautiful piece of music.

My favourite albums by him are Hot Rats, Roxy & Elsewhere, Zappa in New York, Sheik Yerbouti and Joe's Garage, but they are all amazing.

The Muffin Man is seated at the table

In the laboratory of the Utility Muffin

Research Kitchen . . .

Reaching for an oversized chrome spoon

He gathers an intimate quantity of dried muffin remnants

And brushing his scapular aside

Proceeds to dump these inside of his shirt. . .

He turns to us and speaks:

"Some people like cupcakes better. I for one

Care less for them!"

Arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot

of a fully charged icing anointment utensil

He pools forth a quarter-ounce green rosette (oh ah yuk yuk.

let's try that again . . .!)

He pools forth a quarter-ounce green rosette

Near the summit of a dense but radiant muffin

of his own design.

Later he says: "Some people . . . some people like cupcakes exclusively,

While I myself say there is naughl nor ought there be

Nothing so exalted on the faceof God's grey earth

As that prince of foods . . . The Muffin!"

My favorites are One Size Fits All, Chunga's Revenge, Overnite Sensation, Roxy & Elsewhere and Hot Rats. I started with Overnite Sensation and Apostrophe, both of which are a good introduction to his music, IMO.

Also, if you like what you hear, make sure you see Zappa Plays Zappa (Frank's son Dweezil's Zappa tribute) if they come near you. They're a fantastic tribute to Zappa's music and all the musicians are top notch.

• Like 1

I like Frank Zappa, I don't love him. I find him to be an extremely acquired taste. I have to be in the mood, so to speak, to listen to is records. With that said, the one album I find the most enjoyable is Hot Rats. It's the one Zappa album I have no problem listening to at any time.

You need some "Titties And Beer!" Get "Live In New York!"

Terry Bozzio!!! "The Black Page!" WAIT! If you love the glam prog pop band ANGEL which was actually founded by Gene Simmons then you must listen to or watch the video of "Punky's Whips!"

Punky Meadows is a great guitar player from ANGEL but Frank and Terry hated him and wrote a song about him! WOW!!!!!! Let me post it! It will probably get banned!! LOL!

Punky is so funky!!! Terry Bozzio is a cross between Keith Moon and Neil Peart! REALLY?????

• Like 2

60's Zappa

Freak Out

Absolutely Free

70's Zappa

Apostrophe

Hot Rats

One Size Fits All

Over-Nite Sensation

Sheik Yerbouti

Joe's Garage

Zoot Allures

80's Zappa

Broadway The Hard Way

The Man From Utopia

Ship Arriving To Late To Save A Drowning Witch

You Are What You Is

Them Or Us

My fav Zappa album is You Are What You Is!

Edited by Na na na
  • Like 1

Adore Frank zappa, for his music and the human being he was. His music is a huge world to explore. Its diverse, mad,

funny, annoying and challenging, but always exceptional. There are areas (countries) you will like to visit over and over, and others you'll avoid. Its so huge and diverse, there is always something 'new' or 'undiscovered' to find. Happy exploring.

• Like 1

Joe's Garage is something else. I don't know what else to say about it.

I never really warmed up to Overnite Sensation or Apostrophe. I prefer Zappa's instrumentals.

Sleep Dirt is a great album.

Haven't really heard much else.

Zappa did some great albums it's true but in fairness a sizeable proportion of his output was shit. He got away with a lot of rubbish because he was the intellectual musos' darling. Whenever Zappa is mentioned by the chattering classes it's as if all critical balance absents itself.

However, when he was good he did nail it. Sheik Yerbouti, Hot Rats, Joe's Garage, Apostrophe all deserve their reputations.

• Like 4

You need some "Titties And Beer!" Get "Live In New York!"

Terry Bozzio!!! "The Black Page!" WAIT! If you love the glam prog pop band ANGEL which was actually founded by Gene Simmons then you must listen to or watch the video of "Punky's Whips!"

Punky Meadows is a great guitar player from ANGEL but Frank and Terry hated him and wrote a song about him! WOW!!!!!! Let me post it! It will probably get banned!! LOL!

Punky is so funky!!! Terry Bozzio is a cross between Keith Moon and Neil Peart! REALLY?????

Omg! The improvised interaction between Frank and Terry on Titties And Beer - absolutely awesome! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

• Like 1