Will Jeff Gordon retire with 100 career wins?

KenJennings

9 members have voted

1. 1. Will Jeff Gordon win 100 races in his career?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will Jeff Gordon win a fifth championship in his career?

• Yes
    • No

As time goes on, I find myself rooting for Jeff Gordon more and more. As of today, he's now win 89 races, all in the modern era. He's a four time champion, and those were all won the old fashioned way- when you actually had to put together a complete season. His four Winston Cups are far more impressive than Jimmie Johnson's 6 Sprint Cups, because he actually earned them. If you tally points under the old system, he should be a legitimate six time champion right now, and again, that's competing in the modern era.

This guy should indisputably be considered a top-5 driver all-time.

My question is, with 11 wins left to 100, and at age 42; will he reach triple digits before he hangs up his driver's suit?

Also consider that he's leading the NASCAR points, and is a probable post-season participant given today's win. Does he finish his career with four hard-fought, well earned titles; or does he join Tony Stewart as the only other driver to win titles under both systems?

It's almost shocking to me how NASCAR has begun to take this guy for granted, he's almost looked at as 'just another competitor', but it's really only because NASCAR has tilted the playing field away from his style of driving. This guy's a living legend, he's been a fantastic ambassador to the sport, and I really hope he wins 100 and at least one more title.

• Like 2

It doesn't matter If he reaches 100. His peers know what he has achieved for the sport and himself. The corporate structure of Nascar is not in his favour, but it was good to see him race so well today.
  • Like 2

I've dropped out of paying attention to NASCAR since Mark Martin got screwed out of a Daytona 500 win. Gordon could do it though, I hope he does. I enjoyed reading Dale Sr.'s thoughts on Gordon. He respected him an awful lot but couldn't resist busting his balls mercilessly

It's hard to say. 11 more races is a lot of races and it has taken him 7 years for his last 11. I don't know that it's possible to be as good from 42 to 49 as it is from 35 to 42.

If winning 100 is enough of a goal of his, I think the answer is yes. If not, I think he'll retire having fallen short by less than 5.

Having said that, though, he is running better than anyone this year and could very easily have won a couple more races without some (sometimes iffy) late cautions.

I think he could very easily win the championship this year. The format is so f***ed up though it's hard to know. I think it's a crapshoot and there will be a ton of controversy about it given that the winner is far less likely to deserve the championship than even under the previous Chase format. I don't know if that particularly hurts or helps Gordon (so much is riding on Homestead where I don't believe he's run all that well) that I tend to think it hurts, but I think he'll be up there enough that the dice might come up 7 for him at least once.

• Like 1

The one thing that might hinder the run to 100 though is that Gustafson seems to be setting up the car to be good on the long runs but it takes a bit of time for the car to come in. The way NASCAR is these days is that we're far more likely to have a late race caution than not. If he has to come back from losing a few positions on the restarts, I think that is not going to work out more times than it will.

As time goes on, I find myself rooting for Jeff Gordon more and more.

I have to admit, it became much easier to root for the guy after he got divorced from Brooke Sealey.

And the mindless vitriol of some of the haters kind of pushed me in that way as well. Remember the group Fans Against Gordon?

As time goes on, I find myself rooting for Jeff Gordon more and more. As of today, he's now win 89 races, all in the modern era. He's a four time champion, and those were all won the old fashioned way- when you actually had to put together a complete season. His four Winston Cups are far more impressive than Jimmie Johnson's 6 Sprint Cups, because he actually earned them.

Wait, you're seriously saying Jimmie didn't earn any of his 6 championships? Including 5 STRAIGHT...

As time goes on, I find myself rooting for Jeff Gordon more and more. As of today, he's now win 89 races, all in the modern era. He's a four time champion, and those were all won the old fashioned way- when you actually had to put together a complete season. His four Winston Cups are far more impressive than Jimmie Johnson's 6 Sprint Cups, because he actually earned them.

Wait, you're seriously saying Jimmie didn't earn any of his 6 championships? Including 5 STRAIGHT...

I think he legitimately earned 3 or 4 of them.

Not sure where this should go and I didn't want to start a new thread but I was saddened to hear that Barney Hall is retiring from MRN tonight. I really enjoyed his calls of the races...
  • Like 1

Make it win #90 for Jeff Gordon, running away with the Brickyard 400 victory, today, @ Indy. Of course, hardly anyone was there to see it. I also noticed no one was @ the Monster Mile, in Dover, DE, when I was surfing the channels that day.

What's up with the low NASCAR attendance this year???

Make it win #90 for Jeff Gordon, running away with the Brickyard 400 victory, today, @ Indy. Of course, hardly anyone was there to see it. I also noticed no one was @ the Monster Mile, in Dover, DE, when I was surfing the channels that day.

What's up with the low NASCAR attendance this year???

Gordo dominated! Huge win and it was no doubt who had the best car...

Yep, attendance is way down. Probably because the economy sucks...the racing is actually pretty good though the races are really long. Weather has been a problem at a lot of the tracks too, though I don't remember if Dover was one of them.

The popularity of the series has definitely waned since 2008. Partially due to the fact that it's run by an idiot, but mostly because the country is run by idiots and people don't feel economically secure enough to do.

The popularity of the series has definitely waned since 2008.

Strangely, I've noticed an inverse correlation between the quality of racing, and the popularity of the sport. When NASCAR was a fledgling national sport in the 80s and 90s, racing was great. When NASCAR was riding high in popularity from 2001-2008, the racing quality was kind of poor. Now that the popularity is down again, the racing is getting better. Unfortunately, the points system is a disaster now.

But yeah, win #90 for Jeff Gordon! Hell of a drive today. That pass on Kasey on the last restart was awesome.

I just saw someone on Facebook make the point nicely, "Jeff Gordon has two wins and leads the points. Yeah... he's really washed up."

Can he win the title? I think he can, if his back holds up, which is a big IF. I've heard it's pretty bad, though it sure hasn't shown up in his driving lately.

I forgot to post here when Gordon took #92 a few weeks back. I feel pretty confident that he's got 8 more wins in him.

How about 13 or 14???

I forgot to post here when Gordon took #92 a few weeks back. I feel pretty confident that he's got 8 more wins in him.

How about 13 or 14???

To make it to #2 all time?

Would be pretty awesome, especially considering that those are all modern-era.

How about 13 or 14???

To make it to #2 all time?

Would be pretty awesome, especially considering that those are all modern-era.

Yep, that's what I was going for, to pass Pearson.

And actually he is the all time winner in the modern era, Petty only had 81. Not that that's completely fair to Petty, but FWIW...