What the HELL is wrong with Yahoo mail?

Mara

Disclaimer - I'm not the one who didn't heed the early warnings and tell Yahoo mail to pound sand. DH has it - activity has been frozen for 2 days. He hasn't been able to send or receive e-mails; it is of course the account linked in his phone. One of the scammers hijacked it and sent one of those "help me I'm trapped in Bahrain without money or a passport" mass e-mails to a bunch of his contacts; since then he's been stuck.

We were going to import everything into a gmail account but of course now can't access it. Does anyone have a clue? I ditched Yahoo mail years ago when I realized their filters were totally useless, but he stuck with them. I can kind of understand why - he is a tennis coaching professional and uses e-mail for a lot of business. So it's kind of critical that he get it back up and running (in order to then abandon them).

If he can login have him delete as much as he can. Empty sent items, deleted items as long as he doesn't need them anymore. A lot of online email providers have a limit on how much you can store online. You can configure Outlook or another desktop email application to retrieve the email and delete copies on the server (yahoo's servers) and then your storage on them won't fill up. The drawback to hat is then you can't read any mail you have "downloaded" with the locally installed email application except on that computer.

It was hacked, turns out, and hacked pretty badly. Fortunately he had no banking information or links to online transactions - the only spooky thing that happened was that he'd bought tickets from Stub Hub and he got an email, purportedly from Stub Hub, telling him the transaction hadn't gone through and he'd need to do it again. Fortunately he didn't fall for it - of course it had a convenient link to "Stub Hub". He'd already printed the tickets and made a phone call to confirm they were still good.

He spent hours transferring all of his contacts manually and sending out group emails with the new information, all the while muttering and snarling about the horrible things he wanted to do to the Yahoo people. Seriously sucked because that is his business account.

I had trouble with them years ago and after the 3rd time it got spoofed, I requested that Yahoo shut the account down . They didn't respond so I managed to get myself banned by spamming up the comments sections, movie reviews, etc. with copy/paste profanity-filled diatribes about how much they sucked. Worked a charm!