25 years ago TODAY

I got this album for my birthday in March of 1981.

I lent this record out to a long lost friend years ago and no longer have it.

I remember Side 1 on the vinyl that began with "Hells Bells" was my favorite side of the album.

"Hells Bells", "Shoot to Thrill", and "Have a Drink on Me" were 3 of my faves.

QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Jul 21 2005, 11:40 AM)
This is the ONLY album that I've owned more than one copy of.

During the 'teenage/headbanging days..I wore out 2 copies of Back in Black 1022.gif

Bon Scott is by FAR the best vocalist that AC/DC had..NOTHING compares to him!

I prefer Brian Johnson. I can't stand Bon Scott's rasp. All their best music is from after they brought Johnson in IMHO.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 21 2005, 01:27 PM)

During the 'teenage/headbanging days..I wore out 2 copies of Back in Black  1022.gif

I prefer Brian Johnson. I can't stand Bon Scott's rasp. All their best music is from after they brought Johnson in IMHO.

I have to disagree. The only stuff from AC/DC that I can take is from the Bon Scott era. The stuff with Brian Jonhson just makes me cringe. Other than that, most of AC/DC's stuff bores me quite frankly. Their music just seems way too repetitive for my tastes.

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Jul 21 2005, 12:54 PM)
I couldn't hate any band more. Shallow garbage.

They're no Rush! But when you just want to mindlessly rock out, there is no better band!

I have one cd of Back in Black and TWO copies on vinyl. One was dug out of the garbage when my parents threw it away, along with my Sex Pistols, "Nevermind the Bollocks."

I probably got this album (on cassette, mind you!) around 1983 or so, but oddly I never really got into it like I did some earlier AC/DC albums - I seem to remember Dirty Deeds being my favorite album of theirs. In my heavy metal days I liked AC/DC, but I never went too wild about them, even though I did have a bunch of their albums - I was more interested in individual songs by them then entire albums. Generally I found them to be not very lyrically deep (I mean, how many songs did they have with the word rock or rock and roll in the title???), but could rock out pretty hard. They were the one heavy metal group in the early 80's that I really wanted to see and didn't. For the kind of music they do, I think they do it really well, but they generally don't thrill me exstensively. I do remember seeing a concert movie of theirs one time (Let There Be Rock?) at a movie theater MANY years ago, and it was pretty awesome.

The song For Those About To Rock (We Salute You) is I think one of the best metal songs ever - those cannon explosions just kill me when I hear it. I wouldn't mind owning a best of album of theirs (having long ago gotten rid of all my cassettes), and I might even play it sometimes if I did...

Back In Black is one of the best albums ever recorded. AC/DC is one of the very few bands in history where a replacement singer is just as good as the original. Unlike such sharp divisions I have for bands with multiple lead singers like VH - I get into songs like TNT, Highway To Hell, Dirty Deeds, etc. just as much as For Those About To Rock...(which is one of my favorite songs of all time), Sink The Pink, or Thunderstruck.

I was in the 6th grade when I discovered Back In Black. One of my friends at school brought the record into class, and we played it on one of those ugly school-grade turntable units complete with a built in mono speaker and a stylus that would do certain damage to anything played on it.

Those songs blew me away, and that album has never grown old. I partied my ass off to these tunes over the years and they are untouchable. They are as immortal as you feel when you're young or when you're wasted.

If I had to pick a favorite, I couldn't. But Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution stands out as one of the songs that stays with me for life.

They can bury me with this CD. That would make me happy.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 21 2005, 01:49 PM)
Back In Black is one of the best albums ever recorded. AC/DC is one of the very few bands in history where a replacement singer is just as good as the original. Unlike such sharp divisions I have for bands with multiple lead singers like VH - I get into songs like TNT, Highway To Hell, Dirty Deeds, etc. just as much as For Those About To Rock...(which is one of my favorite songs of all time), Sink The Pink, or Thunderstruck.

I was in the 6th grade when I discovered Back In Black. One of my friends at school brought the record into class, and we played it on one of those ugly school-grade turntable units complete with a built in mono speaker and a stylus that would do certain damage to anything played on it.

Those songs blew me away, and that album has never grown old. I partied my ass off to these tunes over the years and they are untouchable. They are as immortal as you feel when you're young or when you're wasted.

If I had to pick a favorite, I couldn't. But Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution stands out as one of the songs that stays with me for life.

They can bury me with this CD. That would make me happy.

goodpost.gif

Couldn't have said it better meself, mate!

I loved AC/DC till I saw them live and realized that all there songs sounded alike that is all the Bon era songs sound like each other and all the Brian songs did as well.

I do still like Back and Black and For Those About to Rock.

My top three on Back in Black

1. Have a drink on me

2. What do you do for money

3. Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

You have to take AC/DC for what they are. Basic, straight-forward, heavy rock and roll. And they are one of the best, with Bon or Brian. And Back in Black (or the German version "Beck in Black") holds up today as an all time classic.

I think I like Shoot to Thrill best.. Just love the tempo of that song. I got my gun and I'm ready to fire at will.

After reading this thread, I wanted to hear shoot to thrill.. so I went to DainBramage.com (internet radio) and was going to request it.. And guess what song was playing when I logged on???

Nope, not Shoot to thrill.. It was Have a drink on me!!!

Weird...

1022.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Jul 21 2005, 07:42 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 21 2005, 04:24 PM)
AC/DC's Beck In Black was released.

Is a former Yardbirds guitarist in mourning?

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Nice one Centurion!!!!!!

I've been listening a lot to this album recently for the past few weeks because my son had his 11th birthday recently and what did he buy with his birthday money?

Back in Black!!

I was a huge AC/DC fan as a teenager, and still play a mean "Whole Lotta Rosie" on the air guitar when no-one is looking. I've said before that a central element of my getting into Rush was the desire for something more profound than "42-39-56, you can say she's got it all", but for all my maturity, I still have a fondness for AC/DC.

On a similarities scale, let's face it they're closer to Status Quo than to Rush, but there are times when a bit of heads down no nonsense mindless boogie is just what the doctor ordered.

I was chuffed when my son bought BIB, and have found myself denying claims that I prompted him.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Jul 21 2005, 12:27 PM)

During the 'teenage/headbanging days..I wore out 2 copies of Back in Black  1022.gif

That's funny because Brian Johnson was brought on board because he sounded like Bon....

I like the Bon Scott era more because it was more raw and bluesy..when Brian came aboard the band became very huge and it more or less affect the way they made their albums thereafter; making them repetitve and commercial sounding...

Getting back to Back in Black Shoot To Thrill is my fav on it but overall I've heard this album WAY too much (probably played at every party I was at in high school laugh.gif and that is a lot biggrin.gif ) I also like the way Given The Dog A Bone rocks....REALLY tired of hearing You Shook Me All Night Long and the title track...I remember first time I heard Hells Bells on the radio...it was my first time hearing Brian singing....

QUOTE (sullysue @ Jul 21 2005, 10:03 AM)
They're no Rush! But when you just want to mindlessly rock out, there is no better band!

There are many better bands. Depends on whether you want to mindlessly rock out or whether you want to rock out to a mindless band (very different normally, brought together by the world of rocking, perhaps?)

Archived