Official 2014-2015 NCAA Football thread

The four team playoff is one step in the right direction.

They're still one step away of where they need to be. 8 team playoff. 5 conference winners, 3 at large teams.

I am in College Station TX right now on vacation before we head to Florida. I walked about five miles round trip to visit Texas A&M University. I wanted to check out Kyle field where the Aggies play. It is under major construction being renovated and to add more seats. It was really cool too see what was being done. I tried to get the construction supervisor to show me the inside but he didn't have the authority to do so. I had to go through the school administration which I don't have time for. Any way, I took some cool pictures. I will try to post them in the future.

:cheers: :rush:

• Like 1

LSU is expanding, too, which I believe will put them over 100,000, and I think Mizzou is, too, which has long been overdue. Carolina was originally supposed to upper deck the North End Zone, but private donations were made for the big jumbotron, so we went with that.

Kyle Field is a mammoth. It has too be scary sitting in that 3rd deck.

Technically it's not about the 2014-15 season because he's used up his eligibility, but this shows how f***ed up CFB's governing body is.

've all heard plenty of absurd stories when it comes to the NCAA, but this tale about Oklahoma center Gabe Ikard and his girlfriend is truly out there.

Ikard, who was an Academic All-American and signed with the Titans as an unrestricted free agent on Saturday, was one of the players that the OU compliance office self-reported on for being served too much pasta at a graduation banquet last May.

With Ikard often seen sitting courtside at Thunder games thanks to his girlfriend's tickets, the compliance office was once again on his case.

He recently told SoonerScoop.com that the NCAA made him and his girlfriend sign affidavits that she was not dating him because he was a football player.

"They did some digging and I'm actually compliant official with my girlfriend," Ikard told SoonerScoop.com. "We had to sign a signed affidavit that she was not dating me just because I was a football player."

Ikard added, "They kind of drafted it themselves. I said she just likes big guys, just accept it."

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/ncaa-makes-gabe-ikard-sign-affidavit-about-dating-girlfriend-051214

USA Today Poll

RK

TEAM

RECORD

PTS

Florida State (56)

0-0

Alabama

0-0

Oklahoma (3)

0-0

Oregon (1)

0-0

Auburn

0-0

Ohio State (1)

0-0

UCLA

0-0

Michigan State

0-0

South Carolina (1)

0-0

Baylor

0-0

Stanford

0-0

Georgia

0-0

LSU

0-0

Wisconsin

0-0

USC

0-0

Clemson

0-0

Notre Dame

0-0

Arizona State

0-0

Ole Miss

0-0

Texas A&M

0-0

Kansas State

0-0

Nebraska

0-0

North Carolina

0-0

Texas

0-0

Washington

0-0

• Others receiving votes: Missouri 126, Florida 122, UCF 102, Mississippi State 74, Oklahoma State 56, TCU 54, Michigan 53, Iowa 49, Miami (FL) 45, Duke 41, Louisville 32, Marshall 27, Brigham Young 18, Boise State 13, Virginia Tech 12, Louisiana-Lafayette 12, Texas Tech 8, Cincinnati 6, Minnesota 6, Northwestern 5, Fresno State 4, Oregon State 4, Houston 2, Georgia Tech 2, Arkansas 1, Arizona 1, Northern Illinois 1

Anyone think that the Blue and Gold of West Virginia has a chance against the mighty Crimson Tide of Alabama in the first week?

Nah, but it would be funny if they upset Alabama

I would LOL at Bama and Saban.

I have close to zero interest in following the Buckeyes this year, college wise might just stick with reliable local winner Division III Mt.Union Purple Raiders.

The Browns will probably have most of my attention, anger, frustration what I'd normally would have reserved for OSU... :P

How in the f**k is Texas ranked 24th, after the abysmal season they had last year. I hate the preseason poll. It should continue from where it left off last year. Texas should have to earn their way back into the top 25.

I may not even pay attention to football this year.

How in the f**k is Texas ranked 24th, after the abysmal season they had last year. I hate the preseason poll. It should continue from where it left off last year. Texas should have to earn their way back into the top 25.

#1 You will pay attention to football this year. You won't be able to help yourself

#2 I agree that Texas should earn their way back and I'm a Longhorn fan.

#3 I don't want to see pre-season polls. Hell, I don't even want to see a poll until three or four games into the season

#1 You will pay attention to football this year. You won't be able to help yourself

#3 I don't want to see pre-season polls. Hell, I don't even want to see a poll until three or four games into the season

LOL. Yeah, probably!

Texas will win National ChampionshipS with Charlie Strong. He was our defensive coordinator when we had Lou Holtz. Our defense was bad ass. He should have been the coach after Holtz, to be honest. He has certainly proven himself at Louisville and Florida.

LOL. Yeah, probably!

Texas will win National ChampionshipS with Charlie Strong. He was our defensive coordinator when we had Lou Holtz. Our defense was bad ass. He should have been the coach after Holtz, to be honest. He has certainly proven himself at Louisville and Florida.

I think it will take a couple of years to turn it around but I have a hunch he will. There needs to be a culture change in the locker room and that will start with players' character.

LOL. Yeah, probably!

I think it will take a couple of years to turn it around but I have a hunch he will. There needs to be a culture change in the locker room and that will start with players' character.

That's the cool thing about college football. It doesn't take long to get the players you want. And, that's not hard at Texas.

LOL. Yeah, probably!

That's the cool thing about college football. It doesn't take long to get the players you want. And, that's not hard at Texas.

Not hard at all. I don't think Texas has done a very good job of developing players over the last five or six years. If it weren't for Vince Young, Mack Brown would have been shit-canned a long time ago.

I'm glad this judge ruled in favor of the athletes now being able to get a small portion($5000, per year) of money from stuff that is sold using their name and likeness. Also, smart to put it in a trust fund, so they'll have it when they get out of school. Maybe it can be part of a down payment on a house, or whatever. Now, it's time to start paying them to play.

:facepalm: all around

Auburn football fans won't get a shot at Harvey Updyke after all.

The organizers of a Sept. 29 charity event in Mobile, Alabama, have pulled the plug on having Updyke appear for a pie throw or dunking booth.

Organizers originally believed having Updyke there might give Auburn fans a much-wanted opportunity to get even with him, after he infamously poisoned the beloved oaks trees at Toomer's Corner near the Auburn campus during the Tigers' 2010 national championship season.

The organizers of a charity event have pulled the plug on having Harvey Updyke appear for a pie throw or dunking booth after social media threats.

But Updyke's appearance was canceled Thursday after Dee Dee Bonner, the mother of former Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron, and Katherine, the wife of McCarron, received death threats and other ugly messages on social media.

"It seems to be taking away from the primary purpose, which is raising awareness for children's cancer," Bonner said. "We don't want to take away from the focus. We needed to get away from it."

The event is to honor John Oliver, a boy from the Mobile area who died from cancer in July. The money raised will benefit Roses From Linda, a nonprofit organization that assists family members in visiting terminally ill people, and children's cancer research.

"I think Mr. Updyke's heart was in the right place with what he wanted to do, but I think too many people are still upset about what he did and haven't gotten over it," Bonner said. "I didn't approve of what he did, but I think he really wanted to help."

Bonner said McCarron wasn't involved in organizing the event but brought Oliver's plight to her attention when the boy was sick and wanted to help.

"We want to focus on the real heroes, which are these children fighting for their lives and their families," Bonner said.

Updyke, a former Texas state trooper, was arrested in February 2011 after a man calling himself "Al from Dadeville" phoned Paul Finebaum's radio show and boasted of pouring herbicide around the 130-year-old oak trees following Auburn's win over rival Alabama in the 2010 Iron Bowl. The caller signed off Finebaum's radio show by saying, "Roll Damn Tide."

Updyke pleaded guilty in March 2013 to one count of unlawful damage of an animal or crop facility. He was sentenced to six months in jail and served 76 days after being credited for 104 days of time already served.

Updyke, who now lives in Albany, Louisiana, also was sentenced to five years of probation and banned from attending any college sporting event for the rest of his life. In addition, he is prohibited from stepping foot on the Auburn campus again. A judge ordered Updyke to pay nearly $800,000 in restitution to Auburn University.

Bonner said she hopes fans of Auburn and Alabama will come together to help the cause.

"Cancer doesn't care what team you root for," she said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11390669/organizers-pull-plug-harvey-updyke-dunk-tank-pie-throw-threats

OK, these picks are just for funsies, as an experiment I'm doing with LAB**T:

Odds are the Consensus VI, @ around 9:30pm, EDT, on August 24, 2014

Picks are against the spread.

Texas A&M @ South Carolina(-10.5) Very easy pick.

Ole Miss(-10) (NS) Boise State Easy pick.

Temple @ Vanderbilt(-10) Tough pick.

UNLV @ Arizona(-23.5) Easy pick.

Penn State (NS) Central Florida(-1) Very easy pick.

Miami, FL @ Leweyville(-3.5) Hard pick.

Utah State @ Tennessee(-6.5) Easy pick.

SMU @ Baylor(-33) Very easy pick.

LSU(-4.5) (NS) Wisconsin Very easy pick.

Florida State(-17.5) (NS) Oklahoma State Very easy pick.

Southern Miss @ Mississippi State(-28.5) Very easy pick.

Washington(-15.5) @ Hawaii' Very easy pick.

Fresno State @ Southern COW(-21.5) Very easy pick.

Iderho @ Flawrida(-35) Easy pick.

clem5on @ Jawja(-7.5) Hard pick.

Arkansas @ AllBarn(-21) Tough pick.

Alabamer (-26) (NS) West Virginia Tough pick.

Appalachian State @ Michigan(-34) Easy pick.

UCLA(-21.5) @ Virginia Easy pick.

Ohio State(-14) (N) Navy Tough pick.

Colorado State @ Colorado(-3) Easy pick.

Rutgers (NS) Washington State(-8) Hard pick.

Yeah, I look like an idiot picking Navy to cover the spread, but the game is in Baltimore, Navy runs that triple option and consumes a lot of clock, they almost beat Ohio State, last time, and Braxton Miller is hurt.

I'm HOPING West Virginia's defense is good enough to keep from getting embarrassed by more than 26.

I have no idea why Central Florida is favored.

I have no idea why Florida State and UCLA are favored by that much.

***Georgia wins the game by 2 points***

OK, these picks are just for funsies, as an experiment I'm doing with LAB**T:

Odds are the Consensus VI, @ around 9:30pm, EDT, on August 24, 2014

Picks are against the spread.

Texas A&M @ South Carolina(-10.5) Very easy pick.

Ole Miss(-10) (NS) Boise State Easy pick.

Temple @ Vanderbilt(-10) Tough pick.

UNLV @ Arizona(-23.5) Easy pick.

Penn State (NS) Central Florida(-1) Very easy pick.

Miami, FL @ Leweyville(-3.5) Hard pick.

Utah State @ Tennessee(-6.5) Easy pick.

SMU @ Baylor(-33) Very easy pick.

LSU(-4.5) (NS) Wisconsin Very easy pick.

Florida State(-17.5) (NS) Oklahoma State Very easy pick.

Southern Miss @ Mississippi State(-28.5) Very easy pick.

Washington(-15.5) @ Hawaii' Very easy pick.

Fresno State @ Southern COW(-21.5) Very easy pick.

Iderho @ Flawrida(-35) Easy pick.

clem5on @ Jawja(-7.5) Hard pick.

Arkansas @ AllBarn(-21) Tough pick.

Alabamer (-26) (NS) West Virginia Tough pick.

Appalachian State @ Michigan(-34) Easy pick.

UCLA(-21.5) @ Virginia Easy pick.

Ohio State(-14) (N) Navy Tough pick.

Colorado State @ Colorado(-3) Easy pick.

Rutgers (NS) Washington State(-8) Hard pick.

Yeah, I look like an idiot picking Navy to cover the spread, but the game is in Baltimore, Navy runs that triple option and consumes a lot of clock, they almost beat Ohio State, last time, and Braxton Miller is hurt.

I'm HOPING West Virginia's defense is good enough to keep from getting embarrassed by more than 26.

I have no idea why Central Florida is favored.

I have no idea why Florida State and UCLA are favored by that much.

***Georgia wins the game by 2 points***

Am I supposed to be picking these? I'm the first to admit I'm not the most knowledgable about CFB. But I'll play along if you want.

Anybody catch my alma mater Eastern Washington this weekend? Great small college football! 56-35 over Sam Houston! Edited by goose
  • Like 1