The Official Golf Hacker Thread

I just went out at lunch... working from home and it's a beautiful day here.

Shot a 37, 2 over. Best round I had in years. I went as a single, ended up getting paired up with another single.

I was writing the scores on the back 9, playing the front 9 and thought I had a birdie on a par 5 but ended up with a par on a par 4 :(

Still, I only had 2 bogeys, the rest pars. I was great off the tee, the second shot usually screwed me, but my chipping and putting was on. I had one 80yd chip that was 3 inches from the cup!

• Like 2

Shot a 37, 2 over. Best round I had in years. I went as a single, ended up getting paired up with another single.

I was writing the scores on the back 9, playing the front 9 and thought I had a birdie on a par 5 but ended up with a par on a par 4 :(

Still, I only had 2 bogeys, the rest pars. I was great off the tee, the second shot usually screwed me, but my chipping and putting was on. I had one 80yd chip that was 3 inches from the cup!

Stop posting in the "hackers" thread, you f-ing sandbagger.

• Like 2

:LOL:

Like I said - it was the best round I had in years.

• Like 1

This tells me that you've been shooting 38 for years. Now you got a 37......;) ;)

• Like 1

This tells me that you've been shooting 38 for years. Now you got a 37......;) ;)

I wish... look up. 42, 51, 37... not a model of consistency :D

Back down to earth today... 43 with a damn snowman on a par 5. Couldn't get out of the trees...

Hatchet, axe, and saw......problem solved!! :LOL:

• Like 1

Saturday afternoon was glorious. My son, daughter and I played 6 before the lightning started, and the heavens opened up. We had literally just turned in our cart when it started pouring. We headed in when the lightning looked closer than I was comfortable with.

And I couldn't stop thinking about Caddyshack. If I've ever hit my driver straighter, ever, I can't remember it. We weren't keeping score though, so it matters little.

• Like 3

Been out more this summer than the last couple. My first 9 was great, I shot a 42 - I was very happy with that. Next time out with my pop, I shot a 51, just couldn't get my drives down, and putted for crap. We had a 4 person scramble on Thurs and we came in at a 69 (3 under). I was absolutely crushing my drives, perfectly straight in front of me. The only issue I had was not aiming my feet properly a few times.... and when I hit my 3 wood, I teed it up too high once and got WAY under the ball. Other than that, I was really good off the tee. I put it 62 yds from the pin on a 389 straightaway, and about 2 yds from the green on a 342 dog leg right (nearly cut the corner perfectly.) Just a hair more to the right off the tee and I would have drove the damn green on that one.

Nuttin' it. :notworthy:

Sorry RnB... I HAVE to post this.

Been away on vacation for a week, shot a round of 9 the Wed before we left in the office league, and played again yesterday with my dad, brother and nephew in a 4 man, 18 hole scramble. I started out my round of 9 with a birdie. That was it for the day. Had 3 bogeys and a double, so finished with a 40. Pretty happy with that and a great warmup for the scramble yesterday.

We started off slow, with 3 pars. We got a birdie, and started rolling after that. My brother crushed a 300 yd drive, followed the dog leg left perfectly and left it about 220 to the green. Everyone else hit and missed horribly, so it was down to me. I hit my 5 wood right at the pin. Left about a 5-6 foot putt and we nailed the Eagle! We finished -3 for the front nine. Back nine, again started out slow, but we got 3 birdies in a row. I blasted a drive to the fringe of the green on a 312 par 4. Chipped to about a foot and had an easy birdie. But, easily the highlight of the round, I crushed a drive that started fading left. It went over a mogul, caught the side of another mogul and rolled onto an access road. We took relief back to the mogul I cleared (and took a 1 stroke penalty) and were 100yds from the green. My brother shanks a chip and puts it back in the street, so I hit. Swing... bounce... bounce... ball disappears... IN THE CUP! Shame it was only a birdie on a shot like that. We were telling some people about it in the banquet hall and there was debate if we should have taken a stroke penalty. After looking thru the rule book, it looks like we could have taken free relief, but I am not sure. (anyone know??) It didn't matter in the standings, we finished -7. -8 would still have left us in 5th place... winning team was -14.

• Like 1

Been away on vacation for a week, shot a round of 9 the Wed before we left in the office league, and played again yesterday with my dad, brother and nephew in a 4 man, 18 hole scramble. I started out my round of 9 with a birdie. That was it for the day. Had 3 bogeys and a double, so finished with a 40. Pretty happy with that and a great warmup for the scramble yesterday.

We started off slow, with 3 pars. We got a birdie, and started rolling after that. My brother crushed a 300 yd drive, followed the dog leg left perfectly and left it about 220 to the green. Everyone else hit and missed horribly, so it was down to me. I hit my 5 wood right at the pin. Left about a 5-6 foot putt and we nailed the Eagle! We finished -3 for the front nine. Back nine, again started out slow, but we got 3 birdies in a row. I blasted a drive to the fringe of the green on a 312 par 4. Chipped to about a foot and had an easy birdie. But, easily the highlight of the round, I crushed a drive that started fading left. It went over a mogul, caught the side of another mogul and rolled onto an access road. We took relief back to the mogul I cleared (and took a 1 stroke penalty) and were 100yds from the green. My brother shanks a chip and puts it back in the street, so I hit. Swing... bounce... bounce... ball disappears... IN THE CUP! Shame it was only a birdie on a shot like that. We were telling some people about it in the banquet hall and there was debate if we should have taken a stroke penalty. After looking thru the rule book, it looks like we could have taken free relief, but I am not sure. (anyone know??) It didn't matter in the standings, we finished -7. -8 would still have left us in 5th place... winning team was -14.

Sounds like your team hit some pretty fine golf shots! As for the riad question, it depends. If it's marked OB, it's obviously OB. Otherwise, you have an option to play it or take the nearest relief. It sounds like you applied the relief rules for a water hazard, by taking it back in front of the mogul (which you can do if it's on line with the flag and point of entry into the hazard). Regardless, heckuva birdie!
  • Like 1

Ive made my peace with this game and just found this thread. I dont practice or go to the range and play anywhere from 5-10 rounds a year. I've never broken 90, usually shoot closer to 100 (and I count every goddamned shot). And as I get older, I dont give a rats ass - I love the game and have fun with it. I ;ook for balls in the deep rough for no more than a few minutes, then drop a new one and take a penalty like a man. Just thought Id say hi. :)
  • Like 4

Ive made my peace with this game and just found this thread. I dont practice or go to the range and play anywhere from 5-10 rounds a year. I've never broken 90, usually shoot closer to 100 (and I count every goddamned shot). And as I get older, I dont give a rats ass - I love the game and have fun with it. I ;ook for balls in the deep rough for no more than a few minutes, then drop a new one and take a penalty like a man. Just thought Id say hi. :)

Thanks for dropping in! We'll have to play sometime!
  • Like 1

Stop posting In this thread LiX.

• Like 2

I tell people all the time, I'm not good enough to get angry when I don't play well.

• Like 2

I tell people all the time, I'm not good enough to get angry when I don't play well.

I never play over 95. Over 95 I stay in the air conditioning! :)

I should have this attitude, but I'm just too demanding of myself. When I hit the ball well in practice (be it with a driver or wedge), and then botch the exact same shots on the course, I get :rage:

My wedge shots get me the most :rage:.........I'm 50 away from the pin, and I pop the ball up perfectly....in practice. I get on the course, and I blade it at least half the time.

No grace under pressure, I tell 'ya.....:doh:

I should have this attitude, but I'm just too demanding of myself. When I hit the ball well in practice (be it with a driver or wedge), and then botch the exact same shots on the course, I get :rage:

My wedge shots get me the most :rage:.........I'm 50 away from the pin, and I pop the ball up perfectly....in practice. I get on the course, and I blade it at least half the time.

No grace under pressure, I tell 'ya..... :doh:

One thing I almost always do, unless I'm golfing with people that I don't know, is if that happens, I drop another ball in the same place and swing again. I will always take my first shot, but it's just for peace of mind. Knowing I can hit a good shot lets me get over it and not dwell on this one bad shot.
  • Like 1

To follow up on Lerxt's point, I've broken 100 exactly twice. In both cases I shot a 99. I've only played a couple of times this year, it's just been too busy with other things. I almost invariably shoot between 100 and 105, and I also count every shot. So, for example, if I'm putting sitting 4, miss the putt by inches and the people I'm playing with say "you're good," my score is a 6, not a 5. I'm going to have holes that I par, and holes that I take a snowman on. It's a fact. If I let that fact bother me, It's going to be a long day.

To follow up on Lerxt's point, I've broken 100 exactly twice. In both cases I shot a 99. I've only played a couple of times this year, it's just been too busy with other things. I almost invariably shoot between 100 and 105, and I also count every shot. So, for example, if I'm putting sitting 4, miss the putt by inches and the people I'm playing with say "you're good," my score is a 6, not a 5. I'm going to have holes that I par, and holes that I take a snowman on. It's a fact. If I let that fact bother me, It's going to be a long day.

"You're good" is a gimme. Who the heck would think that means you don't take a stroke?

"You're good" is a gimme. Who the heck would think that means you don't take a stroke?

You'd be surprised.

One time I was playing with three friends. Three of us hit decent tee shots, the fourth guy had one of "those" holes, where it took him about 4 strokes to catch up with us. We were walking off the green after putting out, telling the score keeper what we got, and I almost fainted when, after I said "5" he said "me too." :LOL:

• Like 1

You'd be surprised.

One time I was playing with three friends. Three of us hit decent tee shots, the fourth guy had one of "those" holes, where it took him about 4 strokes to catch up with us. We were walking off the green after putting out, telling the score keeper what we got, and I almost fainted when, after I said "5" he said "me too." :LOL:

My best golf buddies have had this rule: Every 9 holes, you get one "Rebel 5". If you have a disaster hole, you take your "Rebel 5" on the scorecard. To be honest, I've never taken a Rebel, but we don't bicker over scores at all. We're very non-competitive with each other.

I'll take a mulligan off the tee from time to time, but that's it. I try to stay true to my principles.....;) ;)

• Like 2

You'd be surprised.

My best golf buddies have had this rule: Every 9 holes, you get one "Rebel 5". If you have a disaster hole, you take your "Rebel 5" on the scorecard. To be honest, I've never taken a Rebel, but we don't bicker over scores at all. We're very non-competitive with each other.

I'll take a mulligan off the tee from time to time, but that's it. I try to stay true to my principles..... ;) ;)

We don't do the rebel 5, but we always play 1 mulligan every 9 holes. Tee shot only. I am fairly consistent off the tee, so I rarely use these. I wish I could use them on my second shot... that's the weakest part of my game. I could consistently be 80 +/- 5 strokes if I could have a consistent second shot. I'm usually 90 +/- 5 strokes now.

• Like 1