The Official Golf Hacker Thread

So there I was minding my own business, having gone 5-5-5-3-5 to start the round, and suddenly the golf gods came for me -- I closed with 9-9-6-7. Yeesh.

Yikes!

drjekyllmrhyde_01.jpg

I followed Monday's round of 76 with a welcome-back-to-Earth 90. One guy in our group likes to walk around behind as you take your club back, which caused me to hit it out of play three different times. That and putting the edge instead of center cup made the difference.

• Like 1

+8 today, with one bird and one double. Beginning to feel some confidence.

If you could bottle some of that, I'll buy a six pack from you; on Friday i shot 42 over eight holes -- and took a 15 (fifteen!) on the par three over water, whose bitch I apparently am. I put five balls in the water. I felt like Costner in Tin Cup. Before anybody asks, I never crossed the hazard, and there's no drop area, so I got a little closer, but I was still basically just teeing off.

This f*****g game, man. Can't wait to tee off again.

• Like 1

If you could bottle some of that, I'll buy a six pack from you; on Friday i shot 42 over eight holes -- and took a 15 (fifteen!) on the par three over water, whose bitch I apparently am. I put five balls in the water. I felt like Costner in Tin Cup. Before anybody asks, I never crossed the hazard, and there's no drop area, so I got a little closer, but I was still basically just teeing off.

A 15? Yikes! How long is that hole?

I finally got around to listing the Pro V1's I pick up every day for sale. The route I run has 2 private golf clubs, 1 of which is so exclusive it's invite only. Along the hole I drive by everyday is a wooded area, and a few months ago I pulled over alongside there for whatever reason and noticed a golf ball just into the trees. I picked it up and noticed it was a pro V-1. So I got curious and took a little walk into the woods. Short version is that 3 months later I have a collection of about 150 Pro V's, and even more assorted Calloways, Titleists, Bridgestone and Taylor Made TP5's. It's nice to know that rich guys don't hit the ball any better than regular folks. I've also given about 60 more to the guys I play with every week. They call it digging through the candy jar in my car. I've become such a ball snob that I don't even bother to pick up a Top Flite or Pinnacle if I see one on our regular course. I already have a bucket with about 80 of those for my net. Edited by edhunter
  • Like 2

Oof. You don't play double-par max?

• Like 1

It's a par three! 163 yards, but 150 of it over water. I topped at least four of the tee shots, and one I hooked so far left it was going sideways.

• Like 1

Nope; we count every stroke. It's just me and a buddy, no one was behind us, it was a beautiful day, and I wanted to get it right eventually, so I kept swinging.

• Like 1

Nope; we count every stroke. It's just me and a buddy, no one was behind us, it was a beautiful day, and I wanted to get it right eventually, so I kept swinging.

giphy.gif
  • Like 2

Last Friday I carded a 35-41 for a smooth 76. The 35 included a four-putt, so needless to say it was a strong nine holes. Golf hadn't felt so effortless in a long time.

Followed that up with a 75 the following Friday at Silver Oaks. Irons are finally dialed in like they were six or seven years ago, and it is so fun!

Last Friday I carded a 35-41 for a smooth 76. The 35 included a four-putt, so needless to say it was a strong nine holes. Golf hadn't felt so effortless in a long time.

Followed that up with a 75 the following Friday at Silver Oaks. Irons are finally dialed in like they were six or seven years ago, and it is so fun!

You`d probably be a better selection than Koepka. He doesn`t sound like he wants to be in Wisconsin at all (and there are normally perfectly sensible reasons for feeling that, but not in Ryder Cup week).
  • Like 2

You`d probably be a better selection than Koepka. He doesn`t sound like he wants to be in Wisconsin at all (and there are normally perfectly sensible reasons for feeling that, but not in Ryder Cup week).

:lol:

What IS that guy's problem?

• Like 1

:lol:

What IS that guy's problem?

As you know all too well, there is nothing like good Golf to make you feel like a King (or bad Golf, and a jerk). Brooks really should be a lot happier.

I think I let too many years go by to ever be able to get to that point. I feel like I am one little tweak away from perhaps getting down to the mid 40's, but getting much below that would require playing a lot more often than I currently do. The biggest issue I keep having is that I pull my short irons and wedges to the right. The next issue is distance control with my gap wedge.

I think I let too many years go by to ever be able to get to that point. I feel like I am one little tweak away from perhaps getting down to the mid 40's, but getting much below that would require playing a lot more often than I currently do. The biggest issue I keep having is that I pull my short irons and wedges to the right. The next issue is distance control with my gap wedge.

Pull to the right? Your problem is set up, namely, standing on the wrong side of the ball.
  • Like 1

Pull to the right? Your problem is set up, namely, standing on the wrong side of the ball.

I started out so well this morning. A tap in par on the par 5 opening hole, And tap in bogeys on 2,4,6 & 7. Unfortunately I was 12 over on the other 4 holes and still did not manage to break 50. Same exact 2 problems that I mentioned did me in.

• Like 1

Played today, Eagle Valley West Course. On hole 18 I'm sitting at 2-over for the round. I tee the ball up and notice I have the wrong club in my hand (225yd 5-wood rather than my 200yd lay-up 4-hybrid). I tell my playing partner I have the wrong club, and he tells me that he'll tee off, and for me to go get the hybrid. I tell him I'll hit anyway, and...sure enough I hit a draw that runs out onto hardpan and into wetlands. For fun I re-tee and pipe my hybrid down the throat and end up making my double-bogie for a final score of 76. It was a good day.

7ea16e9e35a277eb2a9cc46983a56857--carson-city-golf-courses.jpg

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

A takeaway from last round is the impact of fitness. The last few weeks I've been working to drop a few pounds and have been working out the upper body with light weights. I sure saw the impact as far in the consistency of my swing and in a little extra on my drive. Hole 9 is a 296 par 4 guarded by a water and a front trap. I had a slight tail wind so I abandoned teeing off with a seven iron and went with driver. Smoked it through the green to back rough. Chipped it close and made birdie.