The Official Golf Hacker Thread

My league had an outing on Saturday which i was really excited for. Beautiful weather, nice course, etc..

So....out of 26 league members only 8 showed up plus one of the guys friends so we had 9 golfers. Whoopie! We had to go out in threesomes and in my threesome was the one golfer who is the league jerk who is also the best golfer in the league. He throws clubs, gets mad, etc.. not a joy to play with. I didn't ride in the cart with him as i was the solo guy in the cart. So that sucked too riding around all day by myself.

So my excitement level went way down. it was still fun to golf, but nowhere near the fun I thought it was going to be. Shot a 47-41 as I putted atrociously on the front 9. I did win a skin though, so i got a few bucks back.

The first 20 or so years of my golfing life I played a ton of golf with my brother in laws and some other friends. We played lots of local rounds, many trips to Myrtle Beach, Pinehurst and other places. Nobody wanted to play with my one brother in law and when we had to we prayed he played well so he wouldn't be such an ass. One good thing during most of those years was that we walked back then so at least we weren't trapped in a cart most of the time. When he played under his standards he was such a sad sack...
  • Like 2

Finished up the regular season in my league last night.

Shot a 40. Solid round. Made some nice par saving putts. Won 5.5/9 points.

I finished 3rd out of 26 guys. Match record was 12-2-2.

First round of playoffs next week. I am giving a stroke on 5 holes.

• Like 2

Won my playoff match last night. We play match play. I won 2&1.

I didn't have to play particularly well as my opponent played rather poorly.

On to the elite 8! I will be giving my opponent a stroke on 4 holes.

Congrats!
  • Like 1

Played nine holes today, and didn't make a single putt of consequence. I lipped out three 4-8 footers that left me with bogies. But I drove it great all day and started putting my approach shot tighter, good enough for a birdie-less but well-earned 39. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I've played every Monday and Thursday since May. So far, a net gain of one stroke. I've pretty much plateaued as a golfer (is it a plateau if it's the bottom of the curve, rather than the top?).

Still, every round I hit those one or two shots and think "huh, I might just play again after all."

I played a bonus round today -- beautiful weather, plus I only finished a stroke behind my buddy, which is inside our adjusted handicaps, so I won the day!

Congrats on your first place, Mithrandir!

• Like 1

Anybody golfing this summer?

My league has a shortened season of 10 weeks. Playing week 8 tonight. Playing pretty pretty good so far. In first place in the league standings.

Hey, congrats!

I started playing a Wednesday group in early June. I played three rounds and was getting my game in pretty good order. The format is usually some kind of scramble, and that third week a led my team to a score of 59, good enough for second place. Then, the family and I went out of town for three weeks...

Back in town, I played last week and my game hasn't too sharp. Good contact, but lots of shots off target. Even though we had talked about the advantage of having a full swing instead of an in-between, our team also insisted on taking the longest drive every time (a common error in a scramble). So we were trying to get 60-70 yard shots tight all day, with limited success. Still had a lot of fun, though.

• Like 1

I've played every Monday and Thursday since May. So far, a net gain of one stroke. I've pretty much plateaued as a golfer (is it a plateau if it's the bottom of the curve, rather than the top?).

Still, every round I hit those one or two shots and think "huh, I might just play again after all."

I played a bonus round today -- beautiful weather, plus I only finished a stroke behind my buddy, which is inside our adjusted handicaps, so I won the day!

Sounds like you're having a good time out there!

My index is around 14 right now, but I am enjoying the game. A few years ago I was playing and practicing a lot and had gotten down to a GHIN of 4.2. It felt good to play that well, but it was a lot of work and it made it hard to win in the golf league I played in. The league at my home course was non-flighted, so I could shoot 74 and finish out of the money to a guy that shot 96 that day. :LOL:

My golfing partner owned me yesterday, and my chipping was execrable -- I left about three easy chips well short and bladed another one right into the pampas grass about twelve yards in front of me -- he beat me by 11 strokes, so drinks were on me.
  • Like 1

My golfing partner owned me yesterday, and my chipping was execrable -- I left about three easy chips well short and bladed another one right into the pampas grass about twelve yards in front of me -- he beat me by 11 strokes, so drinks were on me.

Looks like we had very different days! :LOL:
  • Like 1

Decided to go out today for a round. Front nine I had one birdie and two bogies. Backside two birdies and three bogies. Shot 74, lol.

NICE!!!

That got me ready for today, which was my Wednesday fun league. It was a straight 4-man scramble format, and we ended shooting 59, good enough for 2nd place to a 58. No money, but a moral victory.
  • Like 1

Won my matches yesterday with some pretty good wedge play. We play from the white (middle) teens, so it's pretty much driver-wedge most holes. That makes it tough when a longer par 3 comes along, and I struggled on a couple of them. Made 3 birdies, though.
  • Like 2

Won my matches yesterday with some pretty good wedge play. We play from the white (middle) teens, so it's pretty much driver-wedge most holes. That makes it tough when a longer par 3 comes along, and I struggled on a couple of them. Made 3 birdies, though.

So, you're not as comfortable with your 7-8-9 irons? How are you on par 3s in the 125-165 yard range?

• Like 1

So, you're not as comfortable with your 7-8-9 irons? How are you on par 3s in the 125-165 yard range?

150 and under is wedge range for me. It's 160+ that I have a hard time with right now, mostly because I just don;t use them much during a round where I play. 8- and 7- irons used to be my money clubs.

Played two rounds recently. The first I shot 83, and yesterday, in the cold wind, shot 80. The latter was with a double on the final hole.

That final hole was a bummer. It was dead into the wind, and my approach from 190 was dead nutted. A guest knocked it a foot short of clearing the front left bunker, so instead of a forward kick to a deep pin, I had a tuff bunker shot out of the mud.

What has two thumbs and shoots 76?

This guy!

:ebert:

Finally put a strong round together, with five pars and four bogies on the front, then starting the turn with birdie-birdie to card a level 36 for the back. :7up:

• Like 2