Jump to content


The Official Golf Hacker Thread


  • Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#41 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53716 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Posted Image

So...my wife is playing golf today and sends me this picture with the capture "Look at where my tee shot landed."

An ace!

ETA:  She shot 114.  :D

Edited by goose, 11 July 2014 - 11:48 PM.


Sponsored Post

#42 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10269 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Went out on the local executive course - par 32 - and started out very well.  Bogey, par, par......had several good chips, some tap-in putts, and one very good 25-foot putt for par.  Still had a disaster hole (8) and a dud last hole (7).  15 total putts, though, which is very good for me.   Still ended up with a 46.... :huh:.....but I was pretty happy with a lot of my shots.  

The Good:  Playing the Chip & Run; putting  :D
The Bad:  A couple penalty strokes and lost balls.... :tsk:
The Ugly:  Slicing off the tee.... :facepalm:

#43 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53716 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:00 PM

Shot a birdie-less 79 today.  Did well off the tee and from the fairway.

Posted Image

#44 alphseeker

alphseeker

    Between The Two Wheels

  • Members *
  • 8427 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Diego, California
  • Interests:All Things Cycling

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

My 9 year old grandson had his first private lesson Friday with a PGA professional.  So far he loves what he is learning.

#45 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10269 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:43 AM

View Postgoose, on 24 August 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

Shot a birdie-less 79 today.  Did well off the tee and from the fairway.

Posted Image

How can you focus on your game with such breathtaking scenery?  LOL.....

#46 RushCanuck

RushCanuck

    From Eh to Zed

  • Members *
  • 3975 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

View Postalphseeker, on 25 August 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

My 9 year old grandson had his first private lesson Friday with a PGA professional.  So far he loves what he is learning.
If you can afford it, it's good to get lessons from a pro so that proper techniques can be developed right out of the gate.

Edited by RushCanuck, 25 August 2014 - 11:32 AM.


#47 alphseeker

alphseeker

    Between The Two Wheels

  • Members *
  • 8427 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Diego, California
  • Interests:All Things Cycling

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostRushCanuck, on 25 August 2014 - 11:30 AM, said:

View Postalphseeker, on 25 August 2014 - 12:13 AM, said:

My 9 year old grandson had his first private lesson Friday with a PGA professional.  So far he loves what he is learning.
If you can afford it, it's good to get lessons from a pro so that proper techniques can be developed right out of the gate.
I can afford it -

My good friend is the Pro - :P Which means good friend big discount

#48 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53716 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostPrincipled Man, on 25 August 2014 - 01:43 AM, said:

View Postgoose, on 24 August 2014 - 11:00 PM, said:

Shot a birdie-less 79 today.  Did well off the tee and from the fairway.

Posted Image

How can you focus on your game with such breathtaking scenery?  LOL.....
:sundog:

I love the wide open layout of this particular course.  Some call it "Ego Valley" because you can spray it and still post a decent score.  Personally, I think too many modern courses make the layouts unplayable for the average golfer.  Punishing layouts make for long, miserable rounds.

#49 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 21070 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

The family is off to Cape Cod through Labor Day.  Tomorrow the kids and I are playing a round at the place we're staying.  And no score keeping.  Which is probably best for me.

#50 RushCanuck

RushCanuck

    From Eh to Zed

  • Members *
  • 3975 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

I splurged for a few golf lessons this spring with a PGA pro.  There has been improvement in my game. :ebert:  I'm happy.  My game still sucks, but not quite as much as before.  I'm going to keep at it!  When you see some positive results, you don't want to throw the clubs in the river..

#51 Narps

Narps

    Official TRF Pace Car Driver

  • Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Myrtle Beach SC
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 26 August 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

The family is off to Cape Cod through Labor Day.  Tomorrow the kids and I are playing a round at the place we're staying.  And no score keeping.  Which is probably best for me.
If you don't keep score then how do you measure yourself against other golfers? By height?..... :huh: :)

#52 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 21070 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

View PostNarpski, on 30 August 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 26 August 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

The family is off to Cape Cod through Labor Day.  Tomorrow the kids and I are playing a round at the place we're staying.  And no score keeping.  Which is probably best for me.
If you don't keep score then how do you measure yourself against other golfers? By height?..... :huh: :)

Just like Ty did.  :)

#53 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 21070 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 26 August 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

The family is off to Cape Cod through Labor Day.  Tomorrow the kids and I are playing a round at the place we're staying.  And no score keeping.  Which is probably best for me.

Great, and totally true, moment during the round.  One of the holes was one of those par 3s where the tee box is separated from the green by marsh land and water (these are common in New England, don't know if you have them where you are).  I was intimidated by the set up and crushed my 8 iron into the woods behind the green.  My son contributed a ball to the water hazard. And my beautiful little girl, who said "Why am I doing this, I'm just going to lose my ball" proceeded to plant one on the green.

#54 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10269 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostRushCanuck, on 30 August 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

I splurged for a few golf lessons this spring with a PGA pro.  There has been improvement in my game. :ebert:  I'm happy.  My game still sucks, but not quite as much as before.  I'm going to keep at it!  When you see some positive results, you don't want to throw the clubs in the river..

I'm seriously considering taking some lessons next spring.  I may be an old dog, but I'm willing to learn some new tricks.  I'm in good health (except for my tendonitis), and I can still hit the ball a fair distance.  My scorecard WILL become a pleasant sight someday......:lol:

#55 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

    Coach Cheesehead

  • Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lost in Xanadu (aka WI)
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

I was golfing on Sun with my pops. I shot a great round seeing how I have been shooting. 43, 3 pars, 5 bogies, one double bogey. I had 4 birdie putts...

#56 alphseeker

alphseeker

    Between The Two Wheels

  • Members *
  • 8427 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Diego, California
  • Interests:All Things Cycling

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 09 September 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

I was golfing on Sun with my pops. I shot a great round seeing how I have been shooting. 43, 3 pars, 5 bogies, one double bogey. I had 4 birdie putts...
Last weeks round I had 18 chances at birdies only made one.  :P

#57 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

    Coach Cheesehead

  • Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lost in Xanadu (aka WI)
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:54 PM

View Postalphseeker, on 09 September 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 09 September 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

I was golfing on Sun with my pops. I shot a great round seeing how I have been shooting. 43, 3 pars, 5 bogies, one double bogey. I had 4 birdie putts...
Last weeks round I had 18 chances at birdies only made one.  :P
18 birdie putts... or 18 chances at birdies? Very different :)

#58 Principled Man

Principled Man

    Mathematical Porn Star

  • Members *
  • 10269 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Wisconsin
  • Interests:Rush
    The Green Bay Packers
    The Milwaukee Brewers
    Monty Python
    Cincinnati Chili
    Refreshing Beverages
    Golf, bowling, and Blu-ray
    TRAVEL
    Getting Slim & Trim
    And everything astronomical, cosmological, whatever can be measured in light-years.....out there in that Great Big Magnificent Universe!!

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:21 AM

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 09 September 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

View Postalphseeker, on 09 September 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

View PostLost In Xanadu, on 09 September 2014 - 09:56 AM, said:

I was golfing on Sun with my pops. I shot a great round seeing how I have been shooting. 43, 3 pars, 5 bogies, one double bogey. I had 4 birdie putts...
Last weeks round I had 18 chances at birdies only made one.  :P
18 birdie putts... or 18 chances at birdies? Very different :)

I have a chance at making a birdie every time I step up to the tee.  Unfortunately, that chance evaporates halfway down the fairway.....

:doh:

#59 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 53716 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

Played today after work.  Started par, par, then made a triple on a par three.  Felt like the rest of the front nine I was on full tilt...hot & windy...my playing partner really hacking his way around the course.  Finished the front with a 43 somehow.

Number ten hole is a par 5.  Driving up to the tee, I was a little steamed still from that triple bogie (such a child).  Something I've learned to do is to micro-focus, so I putt all my energy into a single dimple on the ball.  I absolutely crushed my drive, setting up a fairly easy 3-hybrid to get close in two.  A chip and a putt later, I make birdie.  Taking things one stroke at a time, I felt like I was playing much better.  Didn't really care about the score.  I birdied a par four after nearly driving the green (nice tail wind), and birdied seventeen (par 3) and eighteen (par 5) as well.  Ended up shooting a 1 under 35 on the back nine.  43, 35...for a 78.

Good things happen, if you let them.  May be a life lesson in there somewhere.  :)

#60 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

    73

  • Admin
  • 33766 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

View Postgoose, on 04 May 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

View PostCygnus 2112, on 02 May 2014 - 11:16 PM, said:

I can hit an 80 yd worm burner all day long.  Getting the ball off the ground aint my style.  Never been able to do it in the four years I've golfed. I should take your advice and invest in some new clubs.
Golf is so counter-intuitive in that way.  As long as you're trying to lift the ball, it will stay down.  Try and mash it into the ground and it'll jump right off the fairway.

Exactly. Let the loft of the clubface get the ball in the air.

After playing King Cobra knockoffs for the past 15 years, I went to Dick's and tried out some new irons. First I tried the Calloway X-Hots and the Ping G20s. They were fine -- liked the Pings a little better, but I like a heavier clubhead and neither quite fit the bill. I wasn't hitting the ball flush on a lot of shots, though I'm sure my high-handicap swing had something to do with that. ;)

Then I tried the Cobra AMP CELLs and they immediately felt comfortable. I felt the clubhead throughout the swing and I made better and more consistent ball contact. With the other two clubs I was hitting the 7-iron about 155 yards, a little below what I should be hitting it. With the Cobra I was hitting it 165-ish pretty consistently. So I bought 'em.

I got them about a month ago and I've yet to go to the range or play a round with them. Too busy with work.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users