The Official Golf Hacker Thread

League night last night. Overall a very good round!

Shot a 40 with 5 pars and 4 bogeys.

No mishits at all. 5/7 fairways with the 2 I missed being due to trying to put a little more hand/ wrist action in the swing and I pulled both of those tee shots.

Hit 3/9 greens. This has always been the weakest part of my game.

16 putts..as I putted pretty good.

League night last night. Overall a very good round!

Shot a 40 with 5 pars and 4 bogeys.

No mishits at all. 5/7 fairways with the 2 I missed being due to trying to put a little more hand/ wrist action in the swing and I pulled both of those tee shots.

Hit 3/9 greens. This has always been the weakest part of my game.

16 putts..as I putted pretty good.

Congrat's! I need to get out and play...

40! I shot a 50 yesterday and was lucky to have it. On the course I play, there's a 160-yd Par 3 over water that just owns real estate in my psyche. I have a reliable club I can hit 160 no problem if the ball is in the fairway (150 if it's in the rough), but if I tee off with it, I will lose that ball almost every time (the quarter of the time it works just pisses me off, given the other three-quarters of the time). I took an 8 on that one yesterday after I dropped in the tee box instead of at the edge of the water, reasoning there's no way I could hit two that badly, right? Not so.

That's enough boo-hooing from me; congrats on your round!

• Like 2

Shot 44-40 yesterday (Par 72). Played in a foursome for skins. .50 cents a hole. Won $11! Woohoo!!

I had :

7 pars

10 bogeys

1 double

$11 on 50-cent skins is a pretty good haul! :dweez:

Shot a 39 last night in league match. Only won 3.5/9 points (match play with a point per hole) as opponent who is an 11 hdcp shot a 42.

Good: I putted fantastic. Probably the best round of putting in my life. Chipping around green was solid. Hit 4/7 fairways and 2 of the misses were just a few feet off of the fairway.

Bad: 2nd shots. Hit some terrible shots with my hybrid. Most of my approach shots were hit thin. Maybe I was over-compensating for the wet conditions and trying to avoid chunking the ball??

• Like 2

Played three rounds thurs-fri-sat, trying to get the game in shape for an upcoming round at Grizzly.

Shot 82 (with an 8), 88 (greens were too shaggy to putt), and...75.

That last round I walked, and was even through 14 (one bird, one bogie). Ran out of drinking water and ended up naking bogie on 15, 17, 18. In true golfer fashion, instead of celebration shooting in the mid-70s, I finish angry about blowing a shot at even par. :LOL:

• Like 2

So, the Grizzly. Some good holes, some not so good. Great company, though. Two of my best friends.

As for the golf, to be honest, I don't care if never play another late-90s/early-2000s mountain course again. So gimmicky.

Played three rounds thurs-fri-sat, trying to get the game in shape for an upcoming round at Grizzly.

That last round I walked, and was even through 14 (one bird, one bogie). Ran out of drinking water and ended up naking bogie on 15, 17, 18. In true golfer fashion, instead of celebration shooting in the mid-70s, I finish angry about blowing a shot at even par. :LOL:

That 75 is SWEEEET! Nice round!

My last three 9 holes scores have all been 40.

Last week in my league I shot a 40 and won 5/9 points. Hit one the best shots of my life on a 160 yard par 3. 4 iron to about 4 inches. Had 5 bogeys and 3 pars on the other holes. Consistent.

Played 18 on Friday. Course was around 6350 yards. I shot 40-40. Drove the ball well and chipped very well. Had a few clunkers, but again I played very consistently.

League play last night. Shot a 39. 4 pars. 4 bogeys . And a birdie.

The birdie was nuts. It is short par 4 downhill to a green that slopes severely from back to front. Hole was about 10 yards from front of green. One of the other golfers is on the back fringe about 40 feet away

He hammers his putt and it hits the flagstick and drops in for birdie. Putt would have gone off the front of the green. So now I am hole high but about 25 feet from hole. I hit my putt WAY too hard, but right on line and it went in for the bird. If I had missed the hole I would have ended up off the green in the rough below the green.

• Like 1

That 75 is SWEEEET! Nice round!

Thanks!

League play last night. Shot a 39. 4 pars. 4 bogeys . And a birdie.

The birdie was nuts. It is short par 4 downhill to a green that slopes severely from back to front. Hole was about 10 yards from front of green. One of the other golfers is on the back fringe about 40 feet away

He hammers his putt and it hits the flagstick and drops in for birdie. Putt would have gone off the front of the green. So now I am hole high but about 25 feet from hole. I hit my putt WAY too hard, but right on line and it went in for the bird. If I had missed the hole I would have ended up off the green in the rough below the green.

Sweet birdie on top!

That's some pretty steady golf you're playing. Much better than my current Jekyll-Hyde routine

Two weeks ago, I was golfing with my uncle who suggested that I'm sacrificing distance by choking up on the grip a little too far. So I went to the range a few times and worked and worked on backing up a bit and getting a little more out of my swing; but I just kept spraying everything off the toe, especially my irons. Saturday came around and I went out to golf again, since my 'new swing' hadn't been working out, decided I was going to revert back to my normal grip. But everything's out of whack now. I had an atrocious round, and I can't seem to get my swing back!

I'm in a big scramble tournament on the 24th later this month, and I need to get this ironed out by then! I feel like I've destroyed my game. Anyone else ever try tinkering with their swing, and end up screwing themselves up??

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

Yes, I have -- but I don't have any good advice for fixing it, since I just had to adapt to what the new problems were and try to correct those. I was slicing (maybe more just fading right) nearly every drive, tried a couple of things, and proceeded to replace my rightward landings with topping the ball and hitting it straight -- about forty yards.

Just stopping what I was trying didn't seem to fix it, so I had to adjust my stance and swing plane on the backswing; in other words, start over on the new problem I caused myself.

Today I still leak a little right, but I aim more left, so it's a workaround. I hope you can find one, too!

I may be a shit person to take advice from, though -- I took an 8 on my first hole today . . .

• Like 1

Two weeks ago, I was golfing with my uncle who suggested that I'm sacrificing distance by choking up on the grip a little too far. So I went to the range a few times and worked and worked on backing up a bit and getting a little more out of my swing; but I just kept spraying everything off the toe, especially my irons. Saturday came around and I went out to golf again, since my 'new swing' hadn't been working out, decided I was going to revert back to my normal grip. But everything's out of whack now. I had an atrocious round, and I can't seem to get my swing back!

I'm in a big scramble tournament on the 24th later this month, and I need to get this ironed out by then! I feel like I've destroyed my game. Anyone else ever try tinkering with their swing, and end up screwing themselves up??

Just about every round! But if I'm lucky I catch myself and get back to tried and true basics. Feel and consistency is too important for me to fiddle about at this point.

Oh...I got back to basics on my putting grip today on my second nine and starting sinking 8-10 footers like mad. I also walked the course and played barefoot. Six pars, two birds and a bogie for a 35! :dweez:

Oh...I got back to basics on my putting grip today on my second nine and starting sinking 8-10 footers like mad. I also walked the course and played barefoot. Six pars, two birds and a bogie for a 35! :dweez:

Awesome round!! Did you actually play barefoot?

Awesome round!! Did you actually play barefoot?

Yep!

League night last night

Shot a 39 (par 35). 1 birdie, 4 pars, 3 bogey, 1 double bogey

Chipped very well. Putting was pretty solid although i left a few well short asa the greens were very slow.

Man, do I hate slow greens.

Played my League match last night. Shot a 40. Won 5/9 points.

Had 2 birdies and i can't remember ever having two birdies in a 9 hole round. Lipped out another birdie putt and also had 2 other sort of makeable birdie putts that were both about 10 feet but downhill.

2 birdies

2 pars

4 bogeys

1 double - poor tee shot followed by too much club which left me over the green by about 20 yards. Pitch to a short-sided flag with the green running away. Just a bad hole.

Played my League match last night. Shot a 40. Won 5/9 points.

Had 2 birdies and i can't remember ever having two birdies in a 9 hole round. Lipped out another birdie putt and also had 2 other sort of makeable birdie putts that were both about 10 feet but downhill.

2 birdies

2 pars

4 bogeys

1 double - poor tee shot followed by too much club which left me over the green by about 20 yards. Pitch to a short-sided flag with the green running away. Just a bad hole.

That's a real mixed bag of a round, with good results.

My league had an outing on Saturday which i was really excited for. Beautiful weather, nice course, etc..

So....out of 26 league members only 8 showed up plus one of the guys friends so we had 9 golfers. Whoopie! We had to go out in threesomes and in my threesome was the one golfer who is the league jerk who is also the best golfer in the league. He throws clubs, gets mad, etc.. not a joy to play with. I didn't ride in the cart with him as i was the solo guy in the cart. So that sucked too riding around all day by myself.

So my excitement level went way down. it was still fun to golf, but nowhere near the fun I thought it was going to be. Shot a 47-41 as I putted atrociously on the front 9. I did win a skin though, so i got a few bucks back.

• Like 2