The Official Golf Hacker Thread

Had back-to-back birdies today. :)

I realized that I had been taking a death grip on the putter, so this round I barely held onto it. The putts starting pouring in, just like the good old days. 15', 25'...easy. Shot 37.

:dweez:

• Like 4

My driver has finally woken up again and is now a weapon once again. Of course now I can't get up and down to save my @as lol. Gotta just love this game...smh
  • Like 2

My driver has finally woken up again and is now a weapon once again. Of course now I can't get up and down to save my @as lol. Gotta just love this game...smh

My driving has been excellent as of late, which takes a ton of pressure off.

Saturday we played a course in reno called Wolf Run. The course is typical of the newer mountain courses we have out west, long, lots of elevation changes, and exceedingly difficult in the wind. The greens are huge...

wolfrun_course2.jpg

We booked a 2:00pm tee time because it was cheap, which meant we were playing in the heat of the day (upper 90's), with 20-30 mph winds. The course is designed so the longest holes go directly into the prevailing wind, and the shorter holes have the tailwind (stupid, in my view). it was a grind all day, but I managed some good par holes,including a sand save, and got a birdie after getting on in two on a par-5 (driver, 5-iron). But on a good chunk of the holes the wind and heat just exhausted me and I made doubles. Ended up shooting 47-47. I actually played better than that, but the course was so dry and hard that what everyone thought would be a perfect shot would hit and roll off. "They've lost the course...", I mocked.

Another view, which shows some of the wetland area that guards a few of the holes...

wolfrun_hero.jpg

• Like 2

Saturday we played a course in reno called Wolf Run. The course is typical of the newer mountain courses we have out west, long, lots of elevation changes, and exceedingly difficult in the wind. The greens are huge...

wolfrun_course2.jpg

We booked a 2:00pm tee time because it was cheap, which meant we were playing in the heat of the day (upper 90's), with 20-30 mph winds. The course is designed so the longest holes go directly into the prevailing wind, and the shorter holes have the tailwind (stupid, in my view). it was a grind all day, but I managed some good par holes,including a sand save, and got a birdie after getting on in two on a par-5 (driver, 5-iron). But on a good chunk of the holes the wind and heat just exhausted me and I made doubles. Ended up shooting 47-47. I actually played better than that, but the course was so dry and hard that what everyone thought would be a perfect shot would hit and roll off. "They've lost the course...", I mocked.

Another view, which shows some of the wetland area that guards a few of the holes...

wolfrun_hero.jpg

"They've lost the course" lol. I am on my way back from a 4 day trip to the Pittsburgh area. I played 4 rounds there on 3 different courses. Wow I realized how much I missed elevation change and the different challenges it presents. I found the downhill, uphill etc subtleties of the greens the most difficult to grasp. I also hadn't putted on bent grass in a Coons age. Beautiful, slick surfaces but it really added to the difficulty putting on greens that appeared to have so much optical illusions as far as slopes go...
  • Like 1

wolfrun_course2.jpg

wolfrun_hero.jpg

"They've lost the course" lol. I am on my way back from a 4 day trip to the Pittsburgh area. I played 4 rounds there on 3 different courses. Wow I realized how much I missed elevation change and the different challenges it presents. I found the downhill, uphill etc subtleties of the greens the most difficult to grasp. I also hadn't putted on bent grass in a Coons age. Beautiful, slick surfaces but it really added to the difficulty putting on greens that appeared to have so much optical illusions as far as slopes go...

Where did you play? I live in the Pittsburgh area.

Played "Hampshire Greens" in Montgomery County MD. Apparently Montgomery County has a bunch of County courses. It was a nice course. Unfortunately the temps were in the mid-high 90's and by the 15th holes I was whupped. Not real sure what I shot as I didn't keep score.

wolfrun_course2.jpg

wolfrun_hero.jpg

I played at Aubry's Dubbsdread (sp?), Hiland and Lake Arthur in the Butler area...

wolfrun_course2.jpg

wolfrun_hero.jpg

I played at Aubry's Dubbsdread (sp?), Hiland and Lake Arthur in the Butler area...

Those are North of Pittsburgh. I live South of Pittsburgh and have never heard of those courses.

wolfrun_course2.jpg

wolfrun_hero.jpg

Those are North of Pittsburgh. I live South of Pittsburgh and have never heard of those courses.

I am not surprised. There are soooo many courses in the Pittsburgh area. Love that style of golf. Up down up down. 270 yard drives downhill and 225 uphill lol...

Played a League match on Friday. Shortest of the 4 nines that we play. Par 35

It's match play. I was giving my opponent a stroke on 7 holes. I shot a 39. Opponent shot 44 (his best round of the year). I won 4/9 points.

1 birdie (chip in from about 30 feet)

5 pars

1 bogey

2 doubles (one due to OB tee shot..another due to opponent winning hole and me just "finishing out" with a crappy 3 putt)

League playoffs start tomorrow. Round of 16. Match play head-to-head.

I am playing the regular season champ who is the best golfer in the league. I will be getting a stroke on 3 holes. Need to play very well to win.

Good luck!

I am playing the regular season champ who is the best golfer in the league. I will be getting a stroke on 3 holes. Need to play very well to win.

Good luck!

Thanks.

I won the match 5.5 points to 3.5 points or 2 UP. I played decent, but he played rather mediocre. He threw some clubs on a few holes which probably helped me out as I believe getting that angry never helps ones game.

Next round i play the 2nd best golfer in the league and will be getting a stroke on 3 holes.

• Like 1

Good luck!

Thanks.

I won the match 5.5 points to 3.5 points or 2 UP. I played decent, but he played rather mediocre. He threw some clubs on a few holes which probably helped me out as I believe getting that angry never helps ones game.

Next round i play the 2nd best golfer in the league and will be getting a stroke on 3 holes.

I'm glad you're playing well. I'm still having alignment problems, which means that, even though I'm hitting the ball pure, it's going where it shouldn't. Lots of double-bogies, which cause me to lose interest pretty quickly. I did manage to rattle of four straight pars the other day. I had had a typical horrible front nine, shooting 50 or so, but on the par 5 10th tee I adjusted my spine and just striped my drive. Hit a smoking second shot to just the back fringe, 20 feet from the tucked pin. True to form for how the year is going, there were two big sprinkler heads between my ball and the hole, which prevented me from going straight at it. Had to settle for par. But, the good swings continued for holes 11, 12, 13. It's nice to know there's hope, if i'm patient.

Go get 'em next week!

• Like 1

I won my match last night after 6 holes. I played very well, as i was even after those 6 holes. Next up the semis! I will be giving a stroke on 3 holes though.

In my match, after 4 holes I was 3 up. On hole #5 my opponent hit his approach about 2.5 feet from the hole. I hit mine to about 15 feet.

So my question is: Would you have conceded his putt before you putted? If you make your putt (as I did), would you then concede his putt? Or would you have made him putt it regardless?

Also, do you ever concede birdie putts? I never want a birdie putt conceded to me, as i want to "earn" my birdies.

Thanks.

I won my match last night after 6 holes. I played very well, as i was even after those 6 holes. Next up the semis! I will be giving a stroke on 3 holes though.

In my match, after 4 holes I was 3 up. On hole #5 my opponent hit his approach about 2.5 feet from the hole. I hit mine to about 15 feet.

So my question is: Would you have conceded his putt before you putted? If you make your putt (as I did), would you then concede his putt? Or would you have made him putt it regardless?

Also, do you ever concede birdie putts? I never want a birdie putt conceded to me, as i want to "earn" my birdies.

Thanks.

No to conceding a 2.5 birdie putt.
  • Like 1

Thanks.

No to conceding a 2.5 birdie putt.

Agreed. No concession unless it's literally a kick in. Two and a half footers can and are missed by folks like us (unfortunately lol)....

So, I just finished day 3 of 4 days of golf at Running Y out of Klamath Falls, OR. We're here with a group of 16 guys (two teams of 8) for the annual Reno Ys-Guys Cup tourney. It's match play, two pts winnable per hole. Four ball in the AM, two ball in the PM. 36 holes per day has helped me get my swing feel back. I've won all but one of my matches so far, with the 21-15 loss being at the hands of an 18hcper shooting a gross 79 and a team net 56. We shot net-61 as a team.

I've had some birdies for net-eagle stand up for skins, plus my room won the practice round 4-man scramble. Looking forward to singles matches tomorrow.

:ebert:

• Like 1

Closed out my Thursday golf league with a 5-over 41, which included a 3-putt from 15' on hole one and double from a terrible greenside lie on hole nine. Feels good to have the game back in order!

So, I just finished day 3 of 4 days of golf at Running Y out of Klamath Falls, OR. We're here with a group of 16 guys (two teams of 8) for the annual Reno Ys-Guys Cup tourney. It's match play, two pts winnable per hole. Four ball in the AM, two ball in the PM. 36 holes per day has helped me get my swing feel back. I've won all but one of my matches so far, with the 21-15 loss being at the hands of an 18hcper shooting a gross 79 and a team net 56. We shot net-61 as a team.

I've had some birdies for net-eagle stand up for skins, plus my room won the practice round 4-man scramble. Looking forward to singles matches tomorrow.

Oh...the final day singles matches.

My game had been coming around, and I was feeling good. 36 holes per day, a laid back atmosphere, and perfect playing conditions was really helping. I was matched with a similar handicapper (I had to give him one stroke), so I felt confident. My playing partners hit their drives right to thick rough on a wooded side hill. I piped mine. A solid second shot had me just past the flag, maybe 15 feet. My opponent made his five for bogie, and my first putt was a good one, just missing the cup and stopping two feet past the cup...a putt that had been good all week with everyone else i had played with. My partner putted out, and was waiting for my opponent to say "that's good". Silence. I set up, expecting him to give it to me while I'm in my stance. Silence. Of course I pull it left, and make five as the guy walks off the green.

It was the best thing he could have done for me. The swing had been coming around, and now I switched into a mode I hadn't felt in a long time, a complete singularity of focus fueled by a desire to stomp this guy into the ground. Hole 2, par for a win. Hole 3, par for a win. Hole four, par for a win. Hole 5, bogie push. Hole 6, birdie for a win. The best was on hole 13, where my opponent had hit a good approach to hit the green. i had pushed mine right, flopped it above the hole, and two-putted for bogie. My opponent lags to about five feet, giving himself a tough par putt. The moment I'd been waiting for...

"That's good."

There's a million and one ways to say "f**k you", and that was one of them. ;)

• Like 2

Oh...the final day singles matches.

My game had been coming around, and I was feeling good. 36 holes per day, a laid back atmosphere, and perfect playing conditions was really helping. I was matched with a similar handicapper (I had to give him one stroke), so I felt confident. My playing partners hit their drives right to thick rough on a wooded side hill. I piped mine. A solid second shot had me just past the flag, maybe 15 feet. My opponent made his five for bogie, and my first putt was a good one, just missing the cup and stopping two feet past the cup...a putt that had been good all week with everyone else i had played with. My partner putted out, and was waiting for my opponent to say "that's good". Silence. I set up, expecting him to give it to me while I'm in my stance. Silence. Of course I pull it left, and make five as the guy walks off the green.

It was the best thing he could have done for me. The swing had been coming around, and now I switched into a mode I hadn't felt in a long time, a complete singularity of focus fueled by a desire to stomp this guy into the ground. Hole 2, par for a win. Hole 3, par for a win. Hole four, par for a win. Hole 5, bogie push. Hole 6, birdie for a win. The best was on hole 13, where my opponent had hit a good approach to hit the green. i had pushed mine right, flopped it above the hole, and two-putted for bogie. My opponent lags to about five feet, giving himself a tough par putt. The moment I'd been waiting for...

"That's good."

There's a million and one ways to say "f**k you", and that was one of them. ;)

You're a better man than me. I would have made him putt every single putt, no matter how short......just to stick the knife in and twist it.

Cause I'm cold, I'm merciless, and I embrace the Dark Side ..... :laughing guy:

• Like 1