The Official Golf Hacker Thread

I haven't played many rounds this year but I have been on the range 3 days a week for going on a month now and the swing is starting to really come together. I need the weather to get its shit together so I can get out and play.

I need to spend time on the range. Right now every swing is different.

I haven't played many rounds this year but I have been on the range 3 days a week for going on a month now and the swing is starting to really come together. I need the weather to get its shit together so I can get out and play.

I spend a ton of time on the range and still have the same issue. Pretty soon I will have to stop blaming the fact that my right wrist is fused. It kills any semblance of power but there is no good reason I can't be consistent. When I play from 6000, 6100 yards I can shoot 78 without doing anything spectacular but push me back 20 yards or so each hole and I lose my mind...smh

I spend a ton of time on the range and still have the same issue. Pretty soon I will have to stop blaming the fact that my right wrist is fused. It kills any semblance of power but there is no good reason I can't be consistent. When I play from 6000, 6100 yards I can shoot 78 without doing anything spectacular but push me back 20 yards or so each hole and I lose my mind...smh

The past four years I played in a Sunday league that used the tees two-up from the tips (the middle tees of five available). From there I could use a 7iron off the tees on a lot of the 4pars, and other holes it was driver-wedge. Now I am in a league that plays the tips, and I am having to come on from 180-200 on a lot of holes. Much tougher to score from there.

My focus on the range has been same routine, same swing. I take my time and focus on making each shot a replica of the last. And I am starting to strike the ball well 8 times out of 10 instead of 2 times out of 10 like it was back in late April.

My short game will be a mess but I am itching to get out and play a round to see if I can put what I am doing on the range to work on the course from tee to green.

The weather has been dog shit of late though.

Another Thursday, and another nauseating 9 holes. A general inability to string together two good swings in a row kept me from hitting greens in reg and on the bogie train through the first seven holes. Par 5 8th I finally get on in regulation and make a horrendous first putt that led to another bogie. The closing hole saw a blocked drive into the rough, an ill-advised duckhooked 5-wood across the fairway into a bunker, a yanked nine-iron behind a tall pine, followed by an attempted flop-shot into said pine.

The ball disappeared high into the heavy branches, refusing to drop out of the tree. My group finished out, and I had thrown in the towel as the following group finished their approach shots. But then...the ball drops out of the tree, I pitch over a greenside bunker and drain a 15-footer for a double bogie. :LOL:

• Like 2

Another Thursday, and another nauseating 9 holes. A general inability to string together two good swings in a row kept me from hitting greens in reg and on the bogie train through the first seven holes. Par 5 8th I finally get on in regulation and make a horrendous first putt that led to another bogie. The closing hole saw a blocked drive into the rough, an ill-advised duckhooked 5-wood across the fairway into a bunker, a yanked nine-iron behind a tall pine, followed by an attempted flop-shot into said pine.

The ball disappeared high into the heavy branches, refusing to drop out of the tree. My group finished out, and I had thrown in the towel as the following group finished their approach shots. But then...the ball drops out of the tree, I pitch over a greenside bunker and drain a 15-footer for a double bogie. :LOL:

Apologies but your play by play of your last hole made me chuckle a bit. I took a week off but played the last two days. 78/79. At some point I WILL piece the whole game together and shoot some scores like I used too back in my early 40's when I was younger and healthy. It's coming...

Apologies but your play by play of your last hole made me chuckle a bit. I took a week off but played the last two days. 78/79. At some point I WILL piece the whole game together and shoot some scores like I used too back in my early 40's when I was younger and healthy. It's coming...

I have that same positive thinking going on, but no where near the results you're having, so congrat's to you. :cheers:

I'm feeling like I'm trapped in a Mickleson 13th hole Groundhog Day moment

• Like 1

It finally happened. Shot 72 today on the par 71 layout Heathland at The Legends Myrtle Beach. 14 pars, 2 birds, 1 double and 1 bogey. No mulligans(ever) and no gimmies....Now I have to live up to it lol. No pressure
  • Like 4

It finally happened. Shot 72 today on the par 71 layout Heathland at The Legends Myrtle Beach. 14 pars, 2 birds, 1 double and 1 bogey. No mulligans(ever) and no gimmies....Now I have to live up to it lol. No pressure

Nice round!
  • Like 1

Btw I am a realist. Had I played the same as I did today at Shinnicock this weekend I couldn't have broken 110 lol...

Btw I am a realist. Had I played the same as I did today at Shinnicock this weekend I couldn't have broken 110 lol...

:LOL:

I was thinking that if you spotted me by letting me start on each green at Shinnecock, I still couldn't break par, the way they were rolling.

• Like 1

Played two courses around Frederick Maryland June 9-10.

First course (6058 yds) I shot a 91. Score was inflated due to 2 really bad holes. An 8 on a par 5 and a 6 on a par 3. I Tried to get more distance off the tee and it didn't really work.

Second course (6203 yds) shot an 81. Played my regular swing off the tee and was more accurate. The last 4 holes did me in though.as i had 59 with 4 holes left and went 6-5-6-5. Missed a short putt on 15 and sort of lost my composure for the next 3 holes.

Stupid rain cancelled golf league last night. The only rain we have had for over a week and of course it comes the 3 hours of golf league!

Edited by Mithrandir

First course (6058 yds) I shot a 91. Score was inflated due to 2 really bad holes. An 8 on a par 5 and a 6 on a par 3. I Tried to get more distance off the tee and it didn't really work.

Second course (6203 yds) shot an 81. Played my regular swing off the tee and was more accurate. The last 4 holes did me in though.as i had 59 with 4 holes left and went 6-5-6-5. Missed a short putt on 15 and sort of lost my composure for the next 3 holes.

Stupid rain cancelled golf league last night. The only rain we have had for over a week and of course it comes the 3 hours of golf league!

I was born and raised in Maryland and played a ton of courses up there but never played in the Frederick area. I would bet there are some beauties up there...
  • Like 2

Nice 81, Mith! I shot 42 last night in my 9-hole Thursday league. I was 2 over through 6 holes but, like you, didn't close out the round. On the par 5 hole 7 I pushed my drive into the pond which led to a bogie, then made 6 on a short but well-guarded par 4, and closed with a bogie on the long and challenging 9th.

42 should get me low net with my bloated handicap. :P

• Like 2

I was born and raised in Maryland and played a ton of courses up there but never played in the Frederick area. I would bet there are some beauties up there...

I grew up in the area. Maryland from Frederick going west has some really quality golf courses.

I hit the most difficult bucket of balls ever today. No bucket will ever match the painful frustration of this one. :rage:

You see, just to my right was a major league hottie, about 40-ish, with a magnificent body and a short, white skirt and tight grey top.

Trying to focus on my swing was futile. I had to keep from getting caught ogling this wonderful work of human art ..... especially since her man was right next to her, and he was twice as big as me...... :doh:

• Like 2

I hit the most difficult bucket of balls ever today. No bucket will ever match the painful frustration of this one. :rage:

You see, just to my right was a major league hottie, about 40-ish, with a magnificent body and a short, white skirt and tight grey top.

Trying to focus on my swing was futile. I had to keep from getting caught ogling this wonderful work of human art ..... especially since her man was right next to her, and he was twice as big as me...... :doh:

Along the same lines I will never forget a round of golf I played years ago. It was at Northwest Park in Montgomery Co MD (A very long and tough track). I went out as a single a lot in those days and was paired with the best female golfer I had ever played with. She played the whites same as me (about 6,900 yards). It was hot as blazes and you could cut the humidity with a knife which it often is on a DC area summer day. She wore a short skirt and a sleeveless top with about 3 buttons that were all unbuttoned all day and NO BRA. Every time she bent down to do anything, good grief. I swear they never swayed or moved. Incredibly hot... :codger:
  • Like 1

It's difficult to get the hands in correct position with a stiffy.
  • Like 1

Along the same lines I will never forget a round of golf I played years ago. It was at Northwest Park in Montgomery Co MD (A very long and tough track). I went out as a single a lot in those days and was paired with the best female golfer I had ever played with. She played the whites same as me (about 6,900 yards). It was hot as blazes and you could cut the humidity with a knife which it often is on a DC area summer day. She wore a short skirt and a sleeveless top with about 3 buttons that were all unbuttoned all day and NO BRA. Every time she bent down to do anything, good grief. I swear they never swayed or moved. Incredibly hot... :codger:

You: "Can you mark that?"

Her: "In the fairway?"

• Like 2

It's difficult to get the hands in correct position with a stiffy.

She even bent over to pick up a ball, but alas, she was not going commando..... :|

• Like 1

So, I went out for a rare practice round this afternoon. Time on the range has helped get the timing a little better, but a lack of course play has made for a lack of a shot routine. That's deadly for me, as I'm a pretty deliberate player. Here's the tale of the tape...

The front side was pretty much bogie golf, which I'm coming to accept as the new "good" for me. Rounds above the low 40s used to be a rarity, but so far this year it's been mostly high 40s and low 50s. I decided to use an older, heavier driver I had hanging around, with the idea that I needed to slow down my swing. It kind of worked. On hole 1, I made solid contact but blocked it right. My approach out of the rough landed short, and was followed by a long chip that left an 18' comebacker. I putted it close for a tap-in bogie, which felt better than the ten-footers I've been draining for a scrambly-bogie. Hole 2 and 3 were similar. Drives in the rough, mediocre approaches and pitches, decent lag putts and tap-in bogies. #4 is a 165yd par 3, which is a perfect 8-iron for me. I hit it well...well enough to carry the pin and leave a 25 ft putt. I lagged and tappen in for a par. #5 is an easy par 5 that I bogied, and followed that with bogies on 7 & 8. Nine is a longish par 4, and I decided to switch back to my lighter driver to try and get something going. I pured it down the middle, leaving an easy 135yd gap wedge to the pin. Almost sank the 15ft birdie putt and tapped in for par.

The back nine starts with a par five. I stung my drive, but decided to lay up with a 6-iron rather than go for the green. 90yds out, I choked down on a 60-degree wedge that landed 10" from the pin and rolled to 4 feet. Made the birdie putt. Foriegner's "Feels Like The First Time" was playing in my head and i had to laugh. I parred #11, bogie the well-guarded 230yd par 3 #12 (I'll take four and skip it every time), then went par-par-par-par-par. I was feeling it! The game is so effortless when everything is flowing, and the mind is so empty. And then it happened. As I stand set up over my ball on the par4 #18...

:openthoughtbubble:

"I can't wait to post this on the Hacker thread..."

:closethoughtbubble:

Sure enough, I duck hook my drive about 190 yards into the rough. I manage to poke a 5-wood pretty solid, and it carries the green. Really wanting an up-and-down, I pitch a wedge aggressively and it rolls past the front pin (they had the wrong colored pin in!!!! blue, not red!!!! didn't need to hit 5 wood...). I make a pretty good putt from the fringe and tap in for a bogie. One birdie, two bogies. That's a 37! :dweez:

• Like 1

You: "Can you mark that?"

Her: "In the fairway?"

:LOL:

The rain held off for League night yesterday.

I had a match with a guy who has the same hdcp as me so no strokes either way. We both played mediocre as poor putting did us both in. We both shot a 44.

I did win 5 out of 9 points though, so I had that going for me! :)

I am around 10th place so far out of 26. Top 16 make the playoffs.

Yesterday, I hit the ball better than I have in over a year. Off the tee, in the fairway (I was getting ooh's and aah's from my buddies), and chipping during the last few holes. Still, a tree and two really bad wedge shots cost me at least six strokes on my scorecard, so I can't be all that proud of myself.

Still excited, though. Slowly but surely, I'm improving my game. :)

• Like 1