The Official Golf Hacker Thread

I'll try to make a long story short. I used to play a ton of golf in my younger years and at my best in my early to mid forties I was around a 6 handicap. Nothing great but nothing terrible either. I quit playing altogether for many reasons about 2008 and had 3 right wrist fusion surgeries from 2013 to 2015. I figured for sure I would never play again and certainly not well enough to even want to. I have been going through a divorce for a little over a year now and my new lady friend could tell how much I loved the game and missed it and said why don't you at least try it again.

I tinkered with it last fall and realized I could at least hit it with some success and I could possibly play again. I put it away for about 8 months until a little over a month ago and started playing again, got the proper equipment(for me anyway) and practicing regularly.

The last few weeks I have been going out and playing 2 balls (2 scores) two or three times a week. Great practice. I have been shooting between 80 and 83 consistantly the last 3 or 4 rounds. Today 76/77. I honestly think I will better than I ever was before....

Long story short lol :LOL: I am sooo stoked about the potential of my golf game again

• Like 2

I'll try to make a long story short. I used to play a ton of golf in my younger years and at my best in my early to mid forties I was around a 6 handicap. Nothing great but nothing terrible either. I quit playing altogether for many reasons about 2008 and had 3 right wrist fusion surgeries from 2013 to 2015. I figured for sure I would never play again and certainly not well enough to even want to. I have been going through a divorce for a little over a year now and my new lady friend could tell how much I loved the game and missed it and said why don't you at least try it again.

I tinkered with it last fall and realized I could at least hit it with some success and I could possibly play again. I put it away for about 8 months until a little over a month ago and started playing again, got the proper equipment(for me anyway) and practicing regularly.

The last few weeks I have been going out and playing 2 balls (2 scores) two or three times a week. Great practice. I have been shooting between 80 and 83 consistantly the last 3 or 4 rounds. Today 76/77. I honestly think I will better than I ever was before....

Long story short lol :LOL: I am sooo stoked about the potential of my golf game again

My story is similar. I gave up the game when I got married because I didn't want to keep spending the kind of money and time I was spending on golf lest I find myself divorced quickly. Fast forward to now, my daughter has moved out, it's just the wife and me and we no longer have the financial burdens we had when we had just gotten married.

So a month ago I got out my golf net and started hitting balls in my back yard 3 or 4 days a week. I haven't played a round yet this year as my swing has gone away completely and I am trying to relearn the game. I myself was an 11 handicap when I gave up the game.

Anyway, I hope to start getting to the course soon and I have access to an indoor range so I hope to keep up the work over the winter and really be able to get back at it next spring.

• Like 2

My story is similar. I gave up the game when I got married because I didn't want to keep spending the kind of money and time I was spending on golf lest I find myself divorced quickly. Fast forward to now, my daughter has moved out, it's just the wife and me and we no longer have the financial burdens we had when we had just gotten married.

So a month ago I got out my golf net and started hitting balls in my back yard 3 or 4 days a week. I haven't played a round yet this year as my swing has gone away completely and I am trying to relearn the game. I myself was an 11 handicap when I gave up the game.

Anyway, I hope to start getting to the course soon and I have access to an indoor range so I hope to keep up the work over the winter and really be able to get back at it next spring.

Awesome. Yes I quit for financial reasons, my son played junior golf through high school and then pretty much lost interest(I loved playing with him) and my body (hand/wrist and other things) was breaking down. I don't even notice my wrist won't bend anymore. I have learned to swing around it I guess. I honestly think I'll be a better player than I ever was. Pretty exciting to be honest. Best of luck with your game....
  • Like 2

Yeah, you two f*cking clowns can stop posting in the "hackers" thread any time now. :)

And take goose with you. People who shoot in the 70s, or 80s aren't hackers.

• Like 2

Yeah, you two f*cking clowns can stop posting in the "hackers" thread any time now. :)

I probably would have a hard time getting in the 80's if I were to go out and play now.

I probably would have a hard time getting in the 80's if I were to go out and play now.

I'd probably have a hard time getting in the 80s if I were to go out and play right now, too. Except I played on Sunday. :)

I'd probably have a hard time getting in the 80s if I were to go out and play right now, too. Except I played on Sunday. :)

how many times a year do you play?

Not a lot. Somewhere around 5 times most years, although it's been a little more the last couple because the kids play now. We'll go out about every other Sunday around 5 pm and play 9.

Awesome. Yes I quit for financial reasons, my son played junior golf through high school and then pretty much lost interest(I loved playing with him) and my body (hand/wrist and other things) was breaking down. I don't even notice my wrist won't bend anymore. I have learned to swing around it I guess. I honestly think I'll be a better player than I ever was. Pretty exciting to be honest. Best of luck with your game....

I love walking the course with the kids. We talk about everything and nothing, don't keep score, and just laugh. It's very similar to me to riding the chair lift skiing with them. I tell them to take in what's around them, because "that's what it's all about." But that's actually more true for me just being there with them.

• Like 1

I am so glad to read this, Narps. I know how much you love the game, and was crushed that you couldn't play anymore. Shooting in the 70's again? :dweez:
  • Like 1

After some time off, I played like crap today. No warm up, just jumped out of the car and tee'd off. It was one of those rounds where early on, I literally had no idea where it was going. There was a lot of wind, so that didn't help.

I did manage a birdie on a par five, and par'd the last two holes.

Not a lot. Somewhere around 5 times most years, although it's been a little more the last couple because the kids play now. We'll go out about every other Sunday around 5 pm and play 9.

That's not very many.

When my handicap was 11, I was hitting golf balls 5 days a week, either by going to a range, a local school with a big field or by playing rounds of golf. Do that for 6 months and you will have no problems getting in the 80's most times out.

Edited by thesweetscience

But aren't they talking about mini golf?

I bet you ALWAYS ace the windmill hole. cuz, you know, you're so damn good!

That's not very many.

When my handicap was 11, I was hitting golf balls 5 days a week, either by going to a range, a local school with a big field or by playing rounds of golf. Do that for 6 months and you will have no problems getting in the 80's most times out.

That depends on the difficulty of the course and most importantly counting every shot :)

My handicap for the last few years has been around 10-12 for 18 holes on my League course. of course there are a few "gimmes" given each round so the handicap is a little dubious. We all will miss some 2-3 footers a round.

Edited by Mithrandir

That's not very many.

That depends on the difficulty of the course and most importantly counting every shot :)

My handicap for the last few years has been around 10-12 for 18 holes on my League course. of course there are a few "gimmes" given each round so the handicap is a little dubious. We all will miss some 2-3 footers a round.

We never did gimme's in my leagues. You had to play every shot and you had to count it because you were playing with the guy you were playing against.

That's not very many.

We never did gimme's in my leagues. You had to play every shot and you had to count it because you were playing with the guy you were playing against.

I like that and wish that my league would make you play every putt with no gimmes. My league is match play so we always play against our opponent.

But aren't they talking about mini golf?

No. They aren't immature idiots the way you are.

Can you skate? "I played deck hockey for two decades." Do you realize what a tool that makes you?

No dummy I admit I'm not. You're the clown who thinks floor hockey is as hard as real hockey. And likely lies about his golf score to boot.

That's not very many.

I like that and wish that my league would make you play every putt with no gimmes. My league is match play so we always play against our opponent.

Then man up and say you'll putt it anyways.

Do you wear your Crosby jersey to play in?

Shot 42 today, making par on 4 of the first five holes. Two of the final four holes were tough par 3s with b.s. pin positions. The pin-setter does that from time to time, in a dickish way I re-grouped and made a nice par on the final hole, though.

Shot a 42 on league night. Was giving a stroke on 5 holes, match play and i won 4/9 points.

Two shots cost me:

1. I topped my first tee shot which led to a 6.

2. Short par 4 with tees up. I didnt really think it through and hit driver. I hit it solid, but pulled it slightly and it went ob. If i had hit my hybrid it wouldnt have went ob.

That's not very many.

Then man up and say you'll putt it anyways.

Do you wear your Crosby jersey to play in?

if a putt is conceded the hole is over. I see you know the rules of golf as well as you know the rules of hockey.

No dummy I admit I'm not. You're the clown who thinks floor hockey is as hard as real hockey. And likely lies about his golf score to boot.

Show me where i said deck hockey is as hard as ice hockey. I consistently said that i know the rules of hockey because i played a version of hockey. You proceeded to mock me because you have issues of some sort i guess. Issues related to hating Crosby. Like a little kid. Sad really.

Take your fight to the hockey thread1 Golf is a gentleman's game. ;)

Anyway...I played men's club and the format was match play. I managed to win my math 4&3, and also managed a pretty good round stroke-play wise. We played the ball down,since not too many guys in our men's club understand the concept of giving a putt. Literally, guys made their opponents mark and putt out a ten-inch putt.

I shot 40-40 for an 80, and that includes four-putting the last hole. :LOL:

• Like 2