Food textures!!

hobo73

OK, I have this food texture thing. Even if something tastes really good, I cannot eat it if the texture is all wrong.

Examples:

Yogurt- delicious taste, yes. But it feels like I have a mouthful of globby snot. I have never been able, even as a kid, to force myself to swallow a spoonful of yogurt. Blech.

Jello- tastes alright, but again with the "globby snot" texture. No can do.

I prefer skinless grapes because AGH THE SKIN IS SO GROSS TO HAVE IN MY MOUTH.

Pulp- my orange juice must be pulp-free. The very second pulp touches my teeth, I start dry heaving. I HATE the texture lol

red onions- OK, I'm picky about these. They taste awesome on sandwiches- but the second I bite into em and they have that soggy, stringy texture, I take them all off my sandwich. They don't always get stringy like that.

Pudding- Let's not get me started on pudding. lol

applesauce- sucks because I love the taste, but it's too....chunky. I don't like chunks of applesauce in my mouth lmao.

Anyone else have weird texture issues with food??? lol

• Like 3

Bananas, unless they aren't very ripe. Same goes for really soft apples, I can't stand food with a "grainy" texture.

Canned mushrooms.

Eggs that are prepared any other way but in an omelet.

Celery and "stringy" foods.

SUPER crunchy foods or food parts.

Jell-O or any other gelatin based food. I can't stand gelatin.

Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 1

OK, I have this food texture thing. Even if something tastes really good, I cannot eat it if the texture is all wrong.

Examples:

Yogurt- delicious taste, yes. But it feels like I have a mouthful of globby snot. I have never been able, even as a kid, to force myself to swallow a spoonful of yogurt. Blech.

Pulp- my orange juice must be pulp-free. The very second pulp touches my teeth, I start dry heaving. I HATE the texture lol

red onions- OK, I'm picky about these. They taste awesome on sandwiches- but the second I bite into em and they have that soggy, stringy texture, I take them all off my sandwich. They don't always get stringy like that.

applesauce- sucks because I love the taste, but it's too....chunky. I don't like chunks of applesauce in my mouth lmao.

Judging by this post.... you're a spitter....

:outtahere:

• Like 4

Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt immediately come to mind for me.

ewwwww greek yogurt is so chalky and thick!!!!

weird thing- I like the small curd cottage cheese. "big curd" cottage cheese is too much for me.

.....Curd.

Examples:

Judging by this post.... you're a spitter....

:outtahere:

HAHAHAHA darling, if it's already in my mouth, I swallow :D

AND EW one time I put crunchy jalapenos on a bologna sandwich and NO NO NO

Edited by hobo73
  • Like 1

Texture is a huge part of food! And I think a lot of people don't pay much attention to it.

I'm sure there must be foods I don't like because of the textures, but I certainly know the right combination of textures can make or break a meal. And sometimes you don't want a particular taste so much as you want a texture—crunchy, chewy, creamy, whatever.

Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt immediately come to mind for me.

ewwwww greek yogurt is so chalky and thick!!!!

weird thing- I like the small curd cottage cheese. "big curd" cottage cheese is too much for me.

.....Curd.

Which I read as "turd" because I'm having allergies and my eyes are foggy.

• Like 1

For me, I like having a mix of textures... I don't like all soft or all hard meals. I like a salad with some crunch from croutons or something... I like toasted bread with sandwiches otherwise it's all mushy... There really is an art to making a completely satisfying meal, and texture definitely plays a role.
  • Like 2

I can't stand jello or any kind of custard-y sort of egg-based dish that has that rubbery spongy texture.

Liver - aside from the taste, which to me is just weird, it has a grainy mouthfeel to it that's nasty.

I also hate mealy, grainy apples.

I can't stand jello or any kind of custard-y sort of egg-based dish that has that rubbery spongy texture.

Liver - aside from the taste, which to me is just weird, it has a grainy mouthfeel to it that's nasty.

I like Jello, and love custardy type desserts... especially creme brulee....

I agree with the other 2. I don't eat liver because of the taste, not so much the texture, and old apples suck. if they start getting soft - I make applesauce with them.

Examples:

I hate dried crumbly biscuit textures...rubbery chicken...KFC chicken being the worst...and the word pudding makes me wanna cringe...I hate that word!

I agree with the other 2. I don't eat liver because of the taste, not so much the texture, and old apples suck. if they start getting soft - I make applesauce with them.

Red Delicious apples come off the tree that way, I swear. They're mushy, mealy, and have zero flavor. Their name is a misnomer.

I do like creme brulee, but it's very creamy and not eggy at all - at least not if it's made correctly.

• Like 1

Red Delicious apples come off the tree that way, I swear. They're mushy, mealy, and have zero flavor. Their name is a misnomer.

I do like creme brulee, but it's very creamy and not eggy at all - at least not if it's made correctly.

I agree, Red Delicious are some of my least favorite apples. I love McIntosh, but they are only good for a short window and get mealy really quick.

Hmm ... can't really think of anything right now. Looks have much more to do with how much I wan't to taste something. Take cottage cheese. I won't spoil it for you but the way it looks - no way I'm putting that in my mouth, and no way in Hell I'll swallow if I should happen to eat it by mistake!

Yuck!

I agree, Red Delicious are some of my least favorite apples. I love McIntosh, but they are only good for a short window and get mealy really quick.

Granny smith apples is where it's at!!

Red Delicious were bred to look nice, with no regards for taste.

Try heirloom apples, if you can get them. I love:

Gala - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gala_(apple)

Fuji - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuji_(apple)

and heirloom Arkansas Black - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Black

Hmm ... can't really think of anything right now. Looks have much more to do with how much I wan't to taste something. Take cottage cheese. I won't spoil it for you but the way it looks - no way I'm putting that in my mouth, and no way in Hell I'll swallow if I should happen to eat it by mistake!

Yuck!

It looks like smegma. There, I said it. And it smells awful.

Red Delicious are awesome off the tree. The problem is that they (try to) preserve them in cold storage for up to a full year, then dump them on the market.

I agree that a mealy Red is the worst.

A lot of people don't like flan because of the texture. I love it. :drool:

Mealy apples, or pears, are the worst as has been stated. Tried oysters 2 or 3 times, never again. I won't fall for the "Oh, but you haven't tried the oysters here" ever again.

Calamari can be hit or miss. It's tasty when done properly but sometimes you get the ones that feel like you are chewing on a rubberband; thos are gag inducing.

"Loose" hamburger patties. If a restaurant makes their own patties and when you take a bite and the patty just falls apart in your mouth; that just ruins the taste/experience for me. Dense patties just work better for me.