NY's Suzyn Waldman Plays The Fool . . . Again

Rick N. Backer

Last night, the NY Yankees' Michael Pineda did what Yankees do best, cheat and act surprised after getting caught. (see, Roger Clemens. see also, Alex Rodriguez). But the prize for biggest fool of the night goes to Ms. Waldman, arguably the biggest buffoon in sports broadcasting (although her partner deserves to be in that conversation). Her response? That John Farrell may have started something the Red Sox won't want, since the Yankees will now have Red Sox pitchers checked for foreign substances.

Good point Suzy. Because the Red Sox should have just let Pineda keep cheating, as he did the last time the teams played. And the Yankees' response to getting caught cheating will be to have players checked simply to irritate them. Stay classy NY.

Manny, Ortiz, Buchholz, Lester...

Yeah, Boston's slate is clean.

Pineda is an idiot, for sure, but Boston is far from innocent when it comes to "cheating".

And yes, Sterling and Waldman are horrible broadcasters.

Pineda is an idiot, for sure, but Boston is far from innocent when it comes to "cheating".

Gary Sheffield, Jason Giambi, . . .

Anyways, the point is really that Waldman's suggestion that the proper response to getting caught doctoring the ball is to harass the other team is asinine.

Anyways, the point is really that Waldman's suggestion that the proper response to getting caught doctoring the ball is to harass the other team is asinine.

I am Yankees fan. I have the displeasure of having to listen to Suzyn Waldman blab away on the radio. She knows nothing about baseball. I can't disagree with you assessment.

• Like 2

I forget exactly what she said, but I took it more as a statement that the Red Sox pitchers have clearly been loading up their disgusting hair in recent years, and that by reporting Pineida it could lead to investigations into whatever that shit in their hair (and then on the ball) is.

Personally, I think she's wrong. The Red Sox let it alone the first time, but Pineida forced them to call him out be doing it a second time in such a blatant manner. They'd have gotten killed by the media and their fans (and rightfully so) if they didn't act on it this time.

I forget exactly what she said, but I took it more as a statement that the Red Sox pitchers have clearly been loading up their disgusting hair in recent years, and that by reporting Pineida it could lead to investigations into whatever that shit in their hair (and then on the ball) is.

Personally, I think she's wrong. The Red Sox let it alone the first time, but Pineida forced them to call him out be doing it a second time in such a blatant manner. They'd have gotten killed by the media and their fans (and rightfully so) if they didn't act on it this time.

That could be what she meant. But she's still an @ss. As is Sterling.

I am Yankees fan. I have the displeasure of having to listen to Suzyn Waldman blab away on the radio. She knows nothing about baseball. I can't disagree with your assessment.

As far as I know, sports broadcasters are not required to have any experience in playing the actual sports that they announce. Sometimes, I wish it were required. Male or female, if you don't truly know the sport and all its intricacies and rules (written and unwritten), then why are you a broadcaster? :huh:

I am Yankees fan. I have the displeasure of having to listen to Suzyn Waldman blab away on the radio. She knows nothing about baseball. I can't disagree with your assessment.

As far as I know, sports broadcasters are not required to have any experience in playing the actual sports that they announce. Sometimes, I wish it were required. Male or female, if you don't truly know the sport and all its intricacies and rules (written and unwritten), then why are you a broadcaster? :huh:

I have worked with very smart coaches that never played the sport, but they new all the intricacies of the game. I don't know why people think playing a sport should be a prereq for anything.
  • Like 1

I have worked with very smart coaches that never played the sport, but they new all the intricacies of the game. I don't know why people think playing a sport should be a prereq for anything.

For one thing, if you've played the sport that you're announcing, there is a far lesser chance of you saying something ignorant (like what Waldman said). Your experience in the sport will help you gain others' trust and respect. Your career will probably continue because fans (and your employers) don't see you as a moron.

Take Joe Buck, for example. During the 2010 NFC Championship Game, the Packers' nose tackle, B.J. Raji, intercepted Bears QB Caleb Hanie and scored the decisive touchdown. Buck was astonished at Raji's play, and he asked, "What is he even doing out there?" Troy Aikman had to explain to Buck that the Packers were running a zone blitz, in which defensive linemen often drop back into coverage to confuse the offense. If Buck had had any experience playing football, he may not have asked such an ignorant question.

For one thing, if you've played the sport that you're announcing, there is a far lesser chance of you saying something ignorant (like what Waldman said). Your experience in the sport will help you gain others' trust and respect. Your career will probably continue because fans (and your employers) don't see you as a moron.

Take Joe Buck, for example. During the 2010 NFC Championship Game, the Packers' nose tackle, B.J. Raji, intercepted Bears QB Caleb Hanie and scored the decisive touchdown. Buck was astonished at Raji's play, and he asked, "What is he even doing out there?" Troy Aikman had to explain to Buck that the Packers were running a zone blitz, in which defensive linemen often drop back into coverage to confuse the offense. If Buck had had any experience playing football, he may not have asked such an ignorant question.

Luckily people don't have such a closed view on things... Mike Tirico, one of my favorites, may never been given a chance. John Gruden is MUCH better, I know.

Luckily people don't have such a closed view on things... Mike Tirico, one of my favorites, may never been given a chance. John Gruden is MUCH better, I know.

I have a "closed view" on things? Really? My opinion is different than yours, and that means I have a "closed view"? You must be spending too much time in SOCN......

I have a "closed view" on things? Really? My opinion is different than yours, and that means I have a "closed view"? You must be spending too much time in SOCN......

If one person thinks that anybody, regardless of background, can do something, and someone else thinks that only people of one background can do it (despite much evidence of people with that background sucking at it and people without that background being good), then, yes, the second person has a closed view.

• Like 1

Nothing to do with SOCN... Didn't meant to raffle your feathers, but in this case, saying "you shouldn't be a broadcaster if you haven't played" is a narrow view on this topic. The fact you completely looked past my Tirico point helps highlight this.

"People can't be a senator or governor (or whatever) unless they served elsewhere" is a similar narrow view.

• Like 2

Well, based on that example, I'd say there's value in having someone in the booth who's closer to the fan side of things. I bet LOTS of people watching that game had no idea that a "zone blitz" was being run. Thanks to Buck's "ignorant" question, plenty of fans probably came away with a much clearer understanding of what occurred during the play.

• Like 4