People that call them self for Rush-fans and then complain

YYZumbi

I dont understand some people...

People that call them self for Rush-fans, and then still complain on Rush, on things such as:

Rush havent done anything good after 1981 (Moving Pictures)

Neils lyrics

Geddys Voice

I mean, its ok not to like everything about a band, but stop the damn complains all the fuucking time! And think like this instead: Could I do it better myself? Do I have a band that have last for more then 40 years?

It exist some people on this Rush-forum, that I dont understand why they are even here! I will not say any names thou, because I think that if they wanna come clean, then they do.

• Like 6

I can recognize some members from your descriptions of complaints ;)

I don't understand why some people are so negative, but they do like to "converse" with like-minded who like themselves only like Rush before a certain era, or what not. Nothing wrong with that. It can get tiresome when they seemingly only have negative things to say, but I imagine the same people think it's tiresome to see appraisal on appraisal on material they think is substandard. They must think the rest of us is crazy.

Besides, I sometimes frequent a Tool fan site and that has made my skin thicker :P

• Like 4

Rush aren't flawless, but to call yourself a fan and then badmouth all their music post-MP? I would call that a sign of a casual fan, not a diehard. Real fans stick to their favourite band through thick and thin. I really don't like VT, but I believe it was a miracle for the band to produce anything in the wake of so much tragedy. I don't see the negative beyond personal taste, as that one nitpick is also in spite of a minor miracle.

Geddy Lee sounds different to how he did forty years ago. But to say his voice sucks because it has not aged well is tantamount to ageism and bullying.

Rush are Rush, always were, always will be. Fifty years from now someone will discover their albums for the first time and envy all those who attended the Clockwork Angels tour, the one where Geddy's voice apparently sucked, because any Rush at all is better than no Rush. And he will be decades to late.

One day this band will be dead and we will slap ourselves silly for being so darn critical in the bands later years.

And, for the record, how many forty year old bands release a new album that instantly becomes a modern classic, and possibly a stone cold fan favourite?

A fan would take note of the blemishes of time, and honour the aging process, favouring grace and grey over dye and botox.

I am 23 years old. I never got to see Rush in their "prime". Many middle age fans did, and now they complain. Stop and think and be grateful you were there in 1978, keep that memory clean, and respect the fact many younger fans can only hope they have the chance of at least ten years of good Rush memories. Those memories you have of the halcyon days of the late seventies are the equivalent of my fond memories I make of Rush in the 2010's.

I hate all the whinging.

• Like 4

People that call them self for Rush-fans, and then still complain on Rush, on things such as:

Neils lyrics

Geddys Voice

I mean, its ok not to like everything about a band, but stop the damn complains all the fuucking time! And think like this instead: Could I do it better myself? Do I have a band that have last for more then 40 years?

It exist some people on this Rush-forum, that I dont understand why they are even here! I will not say any names thou, because I think that if they wanna come clean, then they do.

So, who died and made you the sole arbiter of what it means to be a fan?

Get over yourself!

• Like 10

Rush aren't flawless, but to call yourself a fan and then badmouth all their music post-MP? I would call that a sign of a casual fan, not a diehard. Real fans stick to their favourite band through thick and thin. I really don't like VT, but I believe it was a miracle for the band to produce anything in the wake of so much tragedy. I don't see the negative beyond personal taste, as that one nitpick is also in spite of a minor miracle.

Geddy Lee sounds different to how he did forty years ago. But to say his voice sucks because it has not aged well is tantamount to ageism and bullying.

Rush are Rush, always were, always will be. Fifty years from now someone will discover their albums for the first time and envy all those who attended the Clockwork Angels tour, the one where Geddy's voice apparently sucked, because any Rush at all is better than no Rush. And he will be decades to late.

One day this band will be dead and we will slap ourselves silly for being so darn critical in the bands later years.

And, for the record, how many forty year old bands release a new album that instantly becomes a modern classic, and possibly a stone cold fan favourite?

A fan would take note of the blemishes of time, and honour the aging process, favouring grace and grey over dye and botox.

I am 23 years old. I never got to see Rush in their "prime". Many middle age fans did, and now they complain. Stop and think and be grateful you were there in 1978, keep that memory clean, and respect the fact many younger fans can only hope they have the chance of at least ten years of good Rush memories. Those memories you have of the halcyon days of the late seventies are the equivalent of my fond memories I make of Rush in the 2010's.

I hate all the whinging.

Funny thing is, I found Geddy's voice better on the CA Tour than it was during Time Machine. It's not perfect anymore, but I'd still kill to sing like he can.

And being 15, I'm in the same boat as you are. I'd have loved to see Rush in 1982, but I wasn't alive then, obviously. I saw my first show in 2011 (NYC) and was blown away. I saw them in 2012 also (EWR) and was again blown away by their talent. People who complain that Rush aren't as good as they used to be make me sick, because they're STILL better than any other band out there.

Edited by Disk98

There is a lot of good that can be said about Rush. There is a lot of criticism that can be levelled at Rush. You can be a fan and yet agree with both those statements. Shocking, I know.
  • Like 6

As long as it's done respectful. What's the Problem? Rush or any band/artist are not immune from criticism. What I dislike and I got this vibe from some CA fans. If you don't like the product.....shut up. So no I don't see a problem with not loving everything a band puts out.

Mick

• Like 2

Only thing is if I don't like something by the band I say so. For instance, I don't care for Test for Echo because I find it to be bland. Not sure why that would bother somebody to hear that. I'm not criticizing anybody's mother or anything.
  • Like 5

I really shouldn't jump back in and say this but it's bothering me. I was sort of pissed when i read. "Call yourself fans, and then complain" Forgive me....but i AM a fan. and.....GASP.....I do not bow at the alter at all they're releases. Sorry if that makes you butt hurt.

Damn, lol

That feels better, lol

Mick

• Like 6

I really shouldn't jump back in and say this but it's bothering me. I was sort of pissed when i read. "Call yourself fans, and then complain" Forgive me....but i AM a fan. and.....GASP.....I do not bow at the alter at all they're releases. Sorry if that makes you butt hurt.

Damn, lol

That feels better, lol

Mick

What he said. I feel better too..... :)
  • Like 4

Damn, lol

That feels better, lol

Mick

I think the main complaint (as if I would...) is over criticism over things the band cannot control, such as the constant moaning about Geddy's voice. I have no real issue with fans who complain about certain albums, except for the occasions my own personal "fandom" has been questioned or ridiculed in the past due to a love for, say, Roll The Bones. Often, it seems, the ones who hold the early albums the closest to their hearts are the ones who berate those who also equally appreciate anything post 1982...especially if it came out in the nineties!

So yeah...us younger fans would like a good old moan at the moaners, after all, we are aged fans in the making!

• Like 1

I hate all the whinging.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I will say however that people are entitled to their own opinion and I haven't seen one uneducated opinion on this forum from anybody, even the people that seem to be the targets here (hate everything after Moving Pictures, Hold Your Fire, or Test For Echo, etc.) I respect everyone's opinions here, even if I disagree with them.

And yes, people who worship everything the band does can be bothersome at times.

• Like 2

Gee, I wonder who he is talking about?

You call it complaining. It is not complaining. It is facing reality. I will be sixty in a couple of months. I can't do today what I did thirty years ago. Or twenty years ago. Or even ten years ago.

Rush is comprised of three mortal human beings. They can't do what they once did either. If they could, they would.

Sorry I don't fit into your fan mold.

• Like 8

Rush wouldn't have the success they have without us, the fans. They should bow to us and satisfy EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US. They have to realize that my perception and enjoyment of their music is the ONLY way they should write, perform and record. It's all about ME, the REAL RUSH fan. Can't anyone see that? Is it too hard to understand? Also, Neil needs to lighten up and become a good drummer again. Alex should go back to ripping off Neal Schon and writing guitar solos. And Geddy should get some kind of operation so he can sing the correct way, as he was intended. Also, Geddy needs to go back to writing good melodies, enough of the shoehorning lyrics to his uninspired and insipid attempts at melodies. I really think they should record a concept album on the works of George RR Martin and politics of Rand Paul. Is all this too hard to comprehend?
  • Like 3

Gee, I wonder who he is talking about?

You call it complaining. It is not complaining. It is facing reality. I will be sixty in a couple of months. I can't do today what I did thirty years ago. Or twenty years ago. Or even ten years ago.

Rush is comprised of three mortal human beings. They can't do what they once did either. If they could, they would.

Sorry I don't fit into your fan mold.

:codger: Right with you. It doesn't mean anyone likes them more or less. Keeping it honest and real can be tricky. What my mother used to tell me about "if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing at all" works in some cases but not all....
  • Like 2

I've always found the retort "could you do better" to be mind-numbingly dumb. So I can only criticize things which are done worse than I could physically do them? That's so insanely idiotic it is difficult for me to quantify it.
  • Like 7

As someone has already mentioned, this is true on every internet board for every music artist. Believe it or not, Rush fans are a lot more tolerant than other artists'. Plus, this board is more positive than other RUSH boards. I quit hanging around the 'Counterparts' board because it was too negative for my tastes.

Some people are happy and enjoy a lot of life.

Some people are pissed off at the world and complain about everything all of the time.

I tend to be in the former group. Some here are in the latter. It's just a fact.

Let the people vent when they need to, and try not to engage them in a debate -it's utterly worthless.

Peace,

Clem

Some people are happy and enjoy a lot of life and don't flinch at criticizing certain aspects of Rush (even aspects they can't control, like *gasp*, Geddy's voice!) and don't consider it disloyal or sacrilegious to do so.
  • Like 3

Neils lyrics

Geddys Voice

One day, you'll grow up, and become mature. When that happens, you'll be able to bear it when people criticize something you really like.

• Like 3

I think part of why there is complaining here is because this is a Rush forum. We're all here is so we can discuss aspects of the band and the music. Sometimes that's dissecting drum solos, other times it's talking about how the band has changed over the years. And certainly, even if Rush is your most favourite thing ever, there's no reason you should be expected to like 100% of what they've done (especially when they've put out very different sorts of music). I see it like, you can be completely in love with your partner but you don't like that one annoying habit of theirs.

As far as the complaining, well, yeah it can be annoying if that's all you're hearing. Maybe some people complain too much. But complaints are part of any good discussion, because nothing is perfect. Personally, while I don't plan on never complaining I do try to keep it to a minimum, where it belongs, and balance it with saying lots of non-complaints.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 1

I only get annoyed (and some will say defensive) when people suggest they should "give it up" or "retire" because now it's too excruciating to listen to them live. I couldn't disagree more and hope they have a few more years left in them.

On the other hand, I can sit here and bash Anagram all day long :)

edited to say my disappointment in the production of CA is also well noted.

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 3

I only get annoyed (and some will say defensive) when people suggest they should "give it up" or "retire" because now it's too excruciating to listen to them live. I couldn't disagree more and hope they have a few more years left in them.

On the other hand, I can sit here and bash Anagram all day long :)

edited to say my disappointment in the production of CA is also well noted.

I can tell you are a good dude and I think you realize that some of us talk this way because we love the band so much. I remember in my youth not enjoying the last year or two of my first sports hero's career. It was painful to watch Mr. Namath try to do what he could no longer. Rush isn't there yet but its coming and that is the truth no matter how difficult it is to accept... :(
  • Like 2

I only get annoyed (and some will say defensive) when people suggest they should "give it up" or "retire" because now it's too excruciating to listen to them live.

Why do you let that annoy you?