I have finally caved and bought a smartphone

Blue J

Against my better judgment, I got a smartphone over this past weekend- the first I've ever owned. I've always been sheltered (by choice) when it comes to technology...I had my 2004-vintage dumbphone for the longest time, and was perfectly happy with it, but...what can I say? Time rolls on.

It's funny, I've heard things from people like, "Ooooh, nice- isn't it faster?" And I say, "No, it doesn't make phone calls faster than any other phone I've ever used"- because seriously, that's the only thing I do with a phone. (That's why it's called a phone, right?).

Anyway...I just wanted to let you all know that I have welcomed myself to the 21st century.

• Like 1

I use mine to listen to music when I'm on the move, organize my calendar, as a camera and a bunch of other useful uses. Before I bought one I find I didn't need one, but I'm glad I got one. Could I live without? Sure I could, but it also makes somethings easier.
  • Like 1

Against my better judgment, I got a smartphone over this past weekend- the first I've ever owned. I've always been sheltered (by choice) when it comes to technology...I had my 2004-vintage dumbphone for the longest time, and was perfectly happy with it, but...what can I say? Time rolls on.

It's funny, I've heard things from people like, "Ooooh, nice- isn't it faster?" And I say, "No, it doesn't make phone calls faster than any other phone I've ever used"- because seriously, that's the only thing I do with a phone. (That's why it's called a phone, right?).

Anyway...I just wanted to let you all know that I have welcomed myself to the 21st century.

Mobile data is a ripoff. If I wasn't on the road all the time, by myself, I wouldn't have a smartphone. But Google Maps, Slacker Radio, and, lately, The Rush Forum, are something I can't seem to live without. If you're home a lot, keep it on wi-fi, and use wi-fi at any establishment that has it for free. If you use Slacker Radio, or any of the other radio apps, cache the stations when you have wi-fi. Download books when you have wi-fi. Download apps when you have wi-fi. Only use YouTube when you have wi-fi. An hour on YouTube will burn up all your data. Try to download all your podcasts only when you have wi-fi.
  • Like 1

Mobile data is a ripoff. If I wasn't on the road all the time, by myself, I wouldn't have a smartphone. But Google Maps, Slacker Radio, and, lately, The Rush Forum, are something I can't seem to live without. If you're home a lot, keep it on wi-fi, and use wi-fi at any establishment that has it for free. If you use Slacker Radio, or any of the other radio apps, cache the stations when you have wi-fi. Download books when you have wi-fi. Download apps when you have wi-fi. Only use YouTube when you have wi-fi. An hour on YouTube will burn up all your data. Try to download all your podcasts only when you have wi-fi.

I just got what I refer to as a "real cell phone" last September. I had an old school flip phone through my work for the previous 7 and a half years. I could make and receive phone calls and text. Its funny and it really is true with many things in life and this is no exception. You can't miss what you don't or never had. I probably could have gone on and on with that phone and been perfectly happy. When my company and I parted ways I finally got my own "real phone". Aiken you are so correct about this forum. I can't imagine not having it on my phone at this point. Love it!!....

I've had a smartphone for a few years now and the best thing about it is it is much easier to text on than my old flip phone. (I do more texting than calling, although I don't do a whole lot of either.) Although I rarely use it, it is nice to have an internet connection when I'm away from home—say to look something up while I'm out shopping and I need more information. But please please don't become one of those people who is always looking at their phone and is so dependent on it they can't go a few hours without it.
  • Like 2

Congrats. Aside from being a decent capacity MP3 player with a great user interface and a phone I don't see much use in the things given that the data plans are criminal.

Like Blue, It took me awhile to transition to the Smartphone from my old Blackberry and prior to that the formerly trusty Motorola flip phone almost three years ago. Remember those "old" things? However, I can't leave the house now without my iPhone! I'll get to the car in the garage and panic, "OMG, where's my phone????" Boy, how times have changed, eh?? :laughing guy:

I chose a ringtone called "Presto".

But that was only because there wasn't anything on the list called "Hemispheres".

If it wasn't for the music player in my smartphone I would sometimes leave house without it. I hate the fact that since most people have a mobile phone they think they can reach you anytime of day. I like to have hours during the day where you can't reach me. The only thing I hate more than that is listening to people talk on public transportations, so that's why I need my music player.
  • Like 2

I ordered my mom a smartphone last night. It's going to be a real challenge though, because she doesn't really understand what wi-fi is, and I'm not so sure she is going to learn. They still drive around, periodically, during the week, and personally hand checks to businesses to whom they need to pay.

Lmao my iPod plays music just fine- I also have no extra apps on it.

I am quite happy with our shitty, tiny, rectangular pay as you go phone! Lol I only use it to call and text.

That's all I need my cell to do. I hate smart phones.

I just bought my first smartphone about a month ago.

I. Love. It.

I fought the urge for the longest time because I thought it would be pointless and loathed the feeling that I could be reached at any point in time. But I find myself salivating whenever I hear the little "ping" that let's me know I have a text message.

• Like 1

My cell phone still rotary dials it's so old. Anyone under 40 probably won't even get the reference. :huh:

I would love a smart phone but I prefer my stupid cell phone bill. I don't even know why they call them phones still. Probably the least used feature on them with texting, internet, MP3 players, cameras, etc.

My cell phone still rotary dials it's so old. Anyone under 40 probably won't even get the reference. :huh:

I would love a smart phone but I prefer my stupid cell phone bill. I don't even know why they call them phones still. Probably the least used feature on them with texting, internet, MP3 players, cameras, etc.

Nokia or Motorola?

Nokia or Motorola?

Old Verizon.

Nokia or Motorola?

Old Verizon.

Dang. Nearly had it.

• Like 1