A Farewell To Kings 2015

Brucey

Ged said in an interview that they tried rehearsing it but he couldn't do it without hurting himself. It does have quite the number of high notes.

I know what you mean, and I don't think the song would be quite the same if he lowered them.

Edited by Lorraine

Ged said in an interview that they tried rehearsing it but he couldn't do it without hurting himself. It does have quite the number of high notes.

I remember that interview. Ged mentioned that they didn't want to downtune it or anything. Why?? I say down tune it! I want to hear the song!
  • Like 1

I remember that interview. Ged mentioned that they didn't want to downtune it or anything. Why?? I say down tune it! I want to hear the song!

The song just doesn't sound the same if they downtune it. They'll do 2112, but they did Circumstances back on the Snakes and Arrows Tour, and it just didn't sound right.

The song just doesn't sound the same if they downtune it. They'll do 2112, but they did Circumstances back on the Snakes and Arrows Tour, and it just didn't sound right.

Personally, I thought that Circumstances sounded great! Sure, it was a little different sounding, but Geddy nailed it and it was awesome!
  • Like 2

Personally, I thought that Circumstances sounded great! Sure, it was a little different sounding, but Geddy nailed it and it was awesome!

Any song that gets detuned from it's original tuning is going to sound different in some way, it might sound great and heavier or it might lose the vibe/energy of the original. Case in point, just now, I detuned AFTK on Audacity to the key they play in for 2112 nowadays, and I think it sounds great and might give it a bit more heaviness to it. However, I did the same thing with Xanadu and Hemispheres and it just doesn't translate well detuned IMO.

To me 2112 sounds weird when they do it in concert now down tuned. Sounds like it drags. I think that's a problem with a lot of songs that are played in a different key lower than the original. When I was playing in the last cover band I was in there were quite a few songs that we couldn't down tune due to the same reason.
  • Like 1

I would love to see them play it live but others have mentioned that interview with Geddy where he says they rehearsed it and the song didn't work out. Since then i've given up hope it will ever be played by them again. I understand that to, as a lot of those songs from the 70s probably just don't sound right to them once they've been detuned. Also, I thought they rehearsed it for R30 not the S&A tour.
  • Like 1

Also, I thought they rehearsed it for R30 not the S&A tour.

From the anecdotes for AFTK on the Power Windows/2112.net fansite...

"We tried to rehearse 'A Farewell To Kings' on the last tour and I couldn't successfully sing that without hurting myself, so we gave up. So yeah, there are moments of the past I cannot sing anymore." - Geddy Lee Blender, April 2009

• Like 2

"We tried to rehearse 'A Farewell To Kings' on the last tour and I couldn't successfully sing that without hurting myself, so we gave up. So yeah, there are moments of the past I cannot sing anymore." - Geddy Lee Blender, April 2009

*pout*

*pout*

Not news to me but still sucks. "My era" is reduced to instrumedleys. Better than nothing mind you. Like I have posted before a nice long instrumedley covering 74' - 79' would be acceptable.... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I wonder how much he strained his voice singing AFTK that he almost hurt himself in the process. If he tried singing it back in 2007, I wonder if he'll even make it to the first word if he tried singing it now unless they detuned it a whole step (or even more). Speaking of instrumedleys, I came up with one just now that covered '74-80 and used these batch of songs...

What You're Doing/Fly By Night/The Fountain of Lamneth/Something For Nothing/A Farewell to Kings/Hemispheres/Jacob's Ladder

I wonder how much he strained his voice singing AFTK that he almost hurt himself in the process. If he tried singing it back in 2007, I wonder if he'll even make it to the first word if he tried singing it now unless they detuned it a whole step (or even more). Speaking of instrumedleys, I came up with one just now that covered '74-80 and used these batch of songs...

What You're Doing/Fly By Night/The Fountain of Lamneth/Something For Nothing/A Farewell to Kings/Hemispheres/Jacob's Ladder

Needs to be longer.... :D

AFTK and Jacobs Ladder are the two songs worth admission alone. I'm hoping they play them because that would make a great graduation present for me in 2015 :P Down tuned or not I mean we'd still here AFTK live and I'd rather hear Ged sing it comfortably for a whole tour rather than burn out and cut it out on a possible second leg. If they decide to include it somewhere in the setlist I hope it's towards the end of the first or second set like they did with Circumstances in 2007 and Manhattan Project just recently. Edited by default236
  • Like 3

I would be happy with a medley of a bunch of songs ala R30. Especially if they throw in some songs that we haven't heard or rarely ever hear any more. I wouldn't hold my breath on getting anything much from AFTK's though we can hope.
  • Like 1

No, no medleys, please! I think they're a tease, getting you worked up to hear something you know and love, then they let you down hard because they are not complete :( They're like a really bad date.
  • Like 2

That tour was my first Rush concert,

Let's just hope they tour again regardless! :D :rush:

me too :)

with UFO?

Yep,

UFO opened up for them. It was September 77'. I think the cost was around $6.50 a ticket.

:codger: :haz: :rush:

• Like 1

That tour was my first Rush concert,

Let's just hope they tour again regardless! :D :rush:

me too :)

with UFO?

Yep,

UFO opened up for them. It was September 77'. I think the cost was around $6.50 a ticket.

:codger: :haz: :rush:

I believe the exact date for the Santa Monica Civic show was 10/01/77. But I think my ticket was $8.50! I got ripped off!

• Like 1