New transfer rule... what do you say...

Tom Sawyer

Was this the correct call?

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/transfer-rule-leads-to-overturned-call-for-marlins-against-mariners-in-miami?ymd=20140418&content_id=72604752&vkey=news_mlb

It's not like football when you are going out of bounds and you have to maintain possession.

Why does this matter? If he dropped it, Ok. But he did catch it and ... I don't know.

Seems stupid to me!

It's really dumb, and it needs to be changed. A catch is a catch. Now they're trying to create some sort of process. It's stupid.

Well, everyone has been complaining that the pace of baseball is just to fast. Just too much continuous action to follow, and all that. MLB is making the right move here, slowing the game down to make it easier for fans to follow.

:facepalm:

• Like 1

Didn't you guys know?

Baseball has always meant to evolve into a metaphysical argument about the nature of a "catch" and a "throw."

Also, add some existential discussion about "fair" and "foul", or in the case of the left field line at Fenway, knowing when neither fair nor foul applies.

I'm with John Kruk; this replay system is a mess and getting worse by the day.

• Like 1

When is a catch not a catch? After it's cleanly a catch? When after a catch, it's called not a catch because you didn't keep it a catch... and tried to make it more than a catch?

More

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/04/18/nationals-player-confused-upset-about-the-transfer-rule/

Edited by Tom Sawyer
  • Like 1

I'd like to think that the rule will be scrapped. Preparing to throw the ball to another base is clearly unrelated to the out that you just made. The runner was out at 3rd - no question about it.

A re-post from the MLB 2014 thread...

SEATTLE -- The baseball season will be two weeks old Sunday, and it seems as if the sport is oddly different.

The A's beat the Mariners 3-1 Saturday night, and they got the usual good pitching from Sonny Gray and the bullpen and some timely hitting.

But two transfer plays, plays that would have been routine outs in the past, had the A's a little off balance.

In the third inning and again in the sixth, Mariners left fielder Dustin Ackley dropped the ball transferring it from his glove to his throwing hand. The new interpretation of that is it's not an out, much to the general dismay.

"I don't like it,'' third baseman Josh Donaldson said. He was forced to go back to first base in the third when Brandon Moss' fly to left was caught, then not, by Ackley. Moss was credited with an RBI single, then was called out for having passed Donaldson, who thought the ball had been caught and who was retreating to first base as Moss was rounding the bag.

"I've been playing baseball for over 20 years, and that's always been an out,'' said Donaldson, whose two-run, first-inning homer was the decisive blow for Oakland. "It's similar to football where you have to catch the ball, then come down with your feet before it's a catch.

"When the ball's in the glove, it's a catch.''

http://www.mercuryne...eattle-mariners

When is a catch not a catch? After it's cleanly a catch? When after a catch, it's called not a catch because you didn't keep it a catch... and tried to make it more than a catch?

More

http://www.washingto...-transfer-rule/

Stupid.

Maybe we could have the player count to 2-Alligator?

Edited by goose

More

Stupid.

Or maybe he should catch the ball, show the ball to the ump, wait for the "out" signal, and then throw it......

A re-post from the MLB 2014 thread...

SEATTLE -- The baseball season will be two weeks old Sunday, and it seems as if the sport is oddly different.

The A's beat the Mariners 3-1 Saturday night, and they got the usual good pitching from Sonny Gray and the bullpen and some timely hitting.

But two transfer plays, plays that would have been routine outs in the past, had the A's a little off balance.

In the third inning and again in the sixth, Mariners left fielder Dustin Ackley dropped the ball transferring it from his glove to his throwing hand. The new interpretation of that is it's not an out, much to the general dismay.

"I don't like it,'' third baseman Josh Donaldson said. He was forced to go back to first base in the third when Brandon Moss' fly to left was caught, then not, by Ackley. Moss was credited with an RBI single, then was called out for having passed Donaldson, who thought the ball had been caught and who was retreating to first base as Moss was rounding the bag.

"I've been playing baseball for over 20 years, and that's always been an out,'' said Donaldson, whose two-run, first-inning homer was the decisive blow for Oakland. "It's similar to football where you have to catch the ball, then come down with your feet before it's a catch.

"When the ball's in the glove, it's a catch.''

http://www.mercuryne...eattle-mariners

Yep they were robbed as well.

Gee maybe they should add that if you lift one foot off the ground and your shoulders aren't square, if the right elbow is higher than your left, no wait, if your chin isn't parallel with your right big toe... no wait.... :facepalm:

More

Stupid.

Or maybe he should catch the ball, show the ball to the ump, wait for the "out" signal, and then throw it......

Yes. The runners would have to freeze, of course, until the ump gave the "un-freeze" signal.
  • Like 1

Maybe they could come up with a signal that would trigger the PA system to play "Freeze". Then when play resumed they could play "Cut to the Chase"...
  • Like 2

I was watching a Reds game long ago, and a routine out was made at 1st base. 1st baseman Tony Perez had already come off the bag to throw the ball around the horn, and the ball slipped out of his hand right before he let it go. The 1st base ump ruled the runner SAFE. :facepalm:

The new transfer rule has been scrapped. Old rule is reinstated.

:) :) :)

The new transfer rule has been scrapped. Old rule is reinstated.

:) :) :)

I thought you were joking, but... http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24538973/report-mlb-fixes-transfer-rule-effective-immediately

The Committee has determined that a legal catch has occurred pursuant to OBR 2.00 (Definition of Terms, “Catch”), or a valid force out or tag has occurred pursuant to OBR 2.00 (Definition of Terms, “Tag”), if the fielder had complete control over the ball in his glove, but drops the ball after intentionally opening his glove to make the transfer to his throwing hand. There is no requirement that the fielder successfully remove the ball from his glove in order for it be ruled a catch.

:dweez:

• Like 2

They're worried about the wrong things in baseball. Umps can call balls and strikes any way they please and we're worried about this bullshit. They need to be careful before they turn into nba or nfl.
  • Like 1

They're worried about the wrong things in baseball. Umps can call balls and strikes any way they please and we're worried about this bullshit. They need to be careful before they turn into nba or nfl.

Damned straight. Some of these umps KNOW that they're not calling pitches properly, but they do it anyway. They have their own personal zones......or so it seems.

There is one umpire (I forget his name) who won't let the catcher throw a new ball to the pitcher. He does it himself. He told one catcher that he "hasn't earned the privilege...." :wtf: What arrogance......

Damned straight. Some of these umps KNOW that they're not calling pitches properly, but they do it anyway. They have their own personal zones......or so it seems.

There is one umpire (I forget his name) who won't let the catcher throw a new ball to the pitcher. He does it himself. He told one catcher that he "hasn't earned the privilege...." :wtf: What arrogance......

Trying to be a player still.... It's not even that the umps have their own zones, some of the pitchers have special zones. I thought greg Maddox was a hell of a pitcher but he got so many calls just because he was greg. Still happens

• Like 2

Trying to be a player still.... It's not even that the umps have their own zones, some of the pitchers have special zones. I thought Greg Maddox was a hell of a pitcher but he got so many calls just because he was Greg. Still happens

:goodone:

I have good memories of Maddox and Glavine getting special treatment from the umps. They got a reputation for having masterful control, they hit the catcher's target consistently, and the ump would call it a strike....even when it wasn't a strike. That's what Maddox and Glavine enjoyed for years.....their Special Zone was at least six inches wider than everyone else's.