Caress Of Steel- great album or modest rebirth?

Segue Myles

Caress...as you can tell...is slowly making its way to my top five...
  • Like 2

Alex's guitar on this thing is just tremendous and his tones are gorgeous

+ Juan.

I love his tone on COS.

Clarity with balls, that peaked with hemispheres.

• Like 3

This thread has put the following thought in my mind:

Time to turn off the tv and computer.

Warm up the amp. Plug in the PRS. Jam along with COS.

• Like 4

Truthfully, in my opinion, CoS was a pretty weak follow up to the stellar Fly By Night. I've listened to it time and again but somehow cannot locate the superior greatness that others find in this album. Bastille Day is by far my favorite track and while the two long epics were decent attempts at much greater things to come, I still feel as though the album fell flat coming off of Fly By Night. When I listen to Anthem, Fly by Night or By-Tor and the Snowdog, I almost can't believe that CoS came after that album.
  • Like 1

Welcome, Segue, into the fold! Caress of Steel is a monster!

By the way...you picked the right day to post about your love for this album. It's clearly the most THC-influenced of RUSH's catalog. :smoke:

• Like 4

This is my favorite album for a few reasons. Bastille day rocks and has brains. Lakeside Park is a nice setting song with nostalgia, though i agree it's better on ATWAS. ITIGB is fun and riffy, but is my least favorite on the album. But I love the epics. The guitar on Necromancer is among Alex's best, and both are soundtracks to interesting stories, the first time Rush did this well.
  • Like 5

Yeah, I'd say this comes off as a bad test run before 2112. I rank it pretty low on my list. The epics aren't NEARLY as good as the future epics (2112, the Cygnii, Xanadu, Natural Science, Camera Eye), and By-Tor is better than this entire album, I think.

"The Cygnii" -- I love it! Well, and I love them, too. So great. But those are other albums :)

I think the (deserved) appreciation of CoS is a matter of hindsight, in light of what they accomplished after. I know several people who were Rush fans from the first album. Fly by Night was immediately considered a great follow-up to Rush (even won an award in Canada though I don't recall what that was exactly; anyway, I don't think Fly by Night has ever been "underrated", has it?), and a logical progression, but CoS had people scratching their heads, like "WTF is this!? The "Necromancer"? And a 2nd side that starts and goes nowhere??" There's a reason a Rush was going down ("the tubes") after CoS, and had to be "saved" by 2112.

That all said, I loved CoS from the first I heard it, but I see why others didn't or don't. Also agree with those who say that the ATWAS versions eclipse the originals. That for me is the biggest shortcoming of those early albums. Great material, just much better on ATWAS.

Edited by Rutlefan

ATWAS- still haven't heard it...gulp...

It's by no means my favorite live release (that title goes to R30 and Rio) but it's got some good stuff on there, particularly In The End, 2112, Something For Nothing, and By-Tor.

It's decent.

I still think the S/t is pretty blah and Fly By Night is fairly bland, so CoS is their first "good" album. It's not amazing and has a lot of flaws, but it's the first record in their catalog that I can listen to all the way through without skipping around. It would lead into 2112 and then AFtK and then so on into a string of really great Rush records. I don't even know if I can put CoS in my top 10 albums, but I appreciate that it exists.

For me, Caress Of Steel is a great album. The third weakest of the seventies, but overall the start of Rush's first great album streak. Fly By Night has some good moments and Rush is fairly decent typical seventies rock, but CoS I think is the first album where Rush as we have come to love them truly started. I wish I was there at the time haha!

Alongside Vapor Trails, Presto, and either Hold Your Fire or Snakes And Arrows, the first two Rush albums are part of my bottom five.

I think that the Fountain of Lamneth is their most ambitious, and lyrically, the most poetic, of their epics. It is not merely a simple story or a simple allegory, as most of the other epics are. It has deeper layers and more difficult to internalize meanings. Listen, I'm not saying this is Shakespeare, but I suspect that after people reacted with a collective "WTF", Neil toned down the more obscure meanings or, at the very least, made the primary meaning much easier and palatable to a wide audience. But it is the depth of Fountain of Lamneth which draws me back to it repeatedly.

I liked it at first, but I've grown to enjoy it more and more as I listen and read the lyrics more and more...getting different pieces out of it almost each time.

CoS was my first Rush STUDIO album..(I had it on 8-track!)

(ATWAS was my first Rush ALBUM)

But CoS to me is MUCH better than 2112, I think there's more intense music (and it's recorded better IMHO) and the only sleeper was ITIGB..whereas Lessons and Tears are pretty much sleepers from my pespective.

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 1

:o wha wha what?

That and "Unleashed In The East" by Judas Priest are my 2 favorite live albums ever. Get On It!

• Like 1

:o wha wha what?

That and "Unleashed In The East" by Judas Priest are my 2 favorite live albums ever. Get On It!

I'm of the opinion that anyone who doesn't have "Unleashed in the East" as their favorite live album simply hasn't heard it yet.

• Like 1

meh. I think that they've done better. The version of 2112 on there is great. To me, the rest of the tracks on it are not the definitive versions.

I don't like Caress Of Steel. I'll just leave that there for you all to absorb.

Eat my poo.

With love,

Seggerz

• Like 1

It troubles me when rush fans even ask this question. COS is a seminal masterpiece, but for a number of albums also of superlative standard id even say was the guys' finest, but just has to fit in bracket of 'one of their best'.

Although obviously an intense and powerful sound at times is also my goto album when i need something relaxing from the band is so well balanced and put together.

Odd as i've read interviews in which ged & Al dont seem too enamoured with it, making it seem a slightly goofy project even.

Awesome rush.

• Like 4

It troubles me when rush fans even ask this question. COS is a seminal masterpiece, but for a number of albums also of superlative standard id even say was the guys' finest, but just has to fit in bracket of 'one of their best'.

Although obviously an intense and powerful sound at times is also my goto album when i need something relaxing from the band is so well balanced and put together.

Odd as i've read interviews in which ged & Al dont seem too enamoured with it, making it seem a slightly goofy project even.

Awesome rush.

You speak eloquently.

Don't eat that poo. It's not for the consumption of good people.

Here, have a...chocolate...cupcake