Caress Of Steel- great album or modest rebirth?

Segue Myles

So Rush had released two albums prior to Caress Of Steel, "Rush" and the underrated "Fly By Night". But I think most will agree that Rush truly found their feet with Caress Of Steel, an album which featured two of the bands first epics (I would rank By Tor And The Snow Dog as the bands first). Some regard it as a classic, others think it was a poor test run for the superior 2112. My verdict? I have come to enjoy CoS almost as much as AFTK, 2112 and Hemispheres. Usually I say my favourite album streak began with 2112 and ended with MP, but now I will start from CoS, as it has grown on me to become one of my very best Rush albums.

I know there are probably many similar threads to this, but recently a very good discussion began based on my personal favourite, A Farewell To Kings, but now I have come to truly understand and enjoy CoS, I want to find out more of what you think of this wonderful album. Its taken me two years, only now am I ready to call this a classic album. (Some may have noticed in my top ten Rush albums I booted off Roll The Bones and replaced it with this!)

• Like 4

COS is most definitely my favorite 70's Rush album by a long shot. Always has been. And I thought they did what they felt and they succeeded. In fact, for me, 2112 was a slight letdown after COS. but that's just me.

Mick

• Like 2

It took me awhile to 'get COS as well. Being on this forum for many years, there have been a LOT of similar comments that is the album that takes awhile to absorb more than any other.

I became obsessed with Rush around the age of 14-15. It didn't become my favorite until I was 20. Most likely related to when I started smoking weed in college and got my mind in the same realm as the band was when they recorded it. Then I really understood it.

• Like 2

And just to add.....those first 2 Rush album were rough for me. Really don't like either of them. So when I got to COS i thought. this is where real Rush properly began. Again, all IMO.

Mick

• Like 1

I don't think CoS was a test run for 2112 exactly, although it was obviously a precursor. I feel the band was exploring certain territory, decided they liked it, and revisited it with 2112. In this respect I think CoS is a classic album, although maybe not "as classic" or as accessible as 2112.

I think our problem is we are seeing it in hindsight. If we had been there in the early 70s we would have seen the progression of the band firsthand and that could have altered our perception. I bet in that case some people would feel differently about CoS than they do now.

• Like 2

Well it is certainly one of my favorites. I love everything about it, from its name and album cover to the songs themselves (especially 'The Necromancer'!!!). In answer to your question, I think I would say yes and yes. Yes it is absolutely a great album. To the second prong of your question, I think RUSH has always been an evolving force, and CoS was an important part of that evolution of RUSH. It is easily one of RUSH's most creative efforts, and yes, I think it paved the way for 2112 and everything that came after it. But it is SOOOOOO much more than just a building block to the future of RUSH. I find it a bit sad that so many fans, and possibly even RUSH themselves, undervalue and under appreciate this pure, raw, energetic, creative, fantastic album.
  • Like 1

It's an ok album. Definitely not my favorite ever, but it has it's moments. Alex's guitar on this thing is just tremendous and his tones are gorgeous. No One At the Bridge is a particular highlight in that regard. Necromancer is excellent as well and is a total highlight of the 70's catalog. I will never understand why the "Under the Shadow" instrumental jam hasn't made any live appearances. It would absolutely kill! I Think I'm Going Bald is pretty funny, but also a strong track.

For me though, a good number of the tracks on here just don't work. Lakeside Park is meh, as are many parts of the Fountain of Lamneth. Bastille Day is pretty cool, but it always struck me as being Anthem's less dynamic younger brother.

• Like 1

I love ITIGB and Lakeside Park is one of my favourite slow Rush songs. Bastille Day is my favourite song of the first three albums...the epics are both fantastic. The guitar work on this album is beyond superb...
  • Like 6

I also like ITIGB. I see it as sort of an AC/DC song on steroids, with some added complexity and thought provoking lyrics. I also like Lakeside Park, particularly the drums. It is a different style than Neil normally plays, but great just the same. I also love the nostalgic "Everyone would gather on the 24th of May…" verse. I always think of happy childhood memories when I hear it.
  • Like 1

I do think Caress Of Steel is better than good but I wouldn't call it great. I have sort of a weird take on a couple of the songs from this album as well as the two other albums that proceeded it. ATWAS was my first Rush album (or any album) and I listened to it constantly before ever getting the first 4 studio records. I had a preconceived notion of what songs like Bastille Day and Lakeside Park sounded like. I must admit when I got to the studio versions I was a bit disappointed. They rocked out live and were full of energy! I still prefer the ATWAS versions of all those early songs. I do think however that the CoS songs sound "more different live" than any of the rest of the songs do. In The End (my all-time favorite) is the other one that really stands out as being grand and rock'in live and not so much on FBN...... :)
  • Like 1

After some tentative steps in Fly By Night, I do think Rush started finding themselves in earnest on CoS.

I, too, like it better than 2112 actually. ITIGB (which I've actually come to like) is the weakest song on the album, but to me it's still stronger than both Tears and Lessons from 2112.

Edited by Bangster of Goats
  • Like 1

I do think Caress Of Steel is better than good but I wouldn't call it great. I have sort of a weird take on a couple of the songs from this album as well as the two other albums that proceeded it. ATWAS was my first Rush album (or any album) and I listened to it constantly before ever getting the first 4 studio records. I had a preconceived notion of what songs like Bastille Day and Lakeside Park sounded like. I must admit when I got to the studio versions I was a bit disappointed. They rocked out live and were full of energy! I still prefer the ATWAS versions of all those early songs. I do think however that the CoS songs sound "more different live" than any of the rest of the songs do. In The End (my all-time favorite) is the other one that really stands out as being grand and rock'in live and not so much on FBN...... :)

Atwas was my first real intro to Rush. I wore out that 8-track tape like my first gf!

Atwas was my first real intro to Rush. I wore out that 8-track tape like my first gf!

As I recall my first gf didn't last nearly as long. She just used me for my young body and energy and then discarded me.... :)

As I recall my first gf didn't last nearly as long. She just used me for my young body and energy and then discarded me.... :)

No wonder you're smiling in your new avi!!

COS doesn't really do it for me. Bastille Day's alright, but I think Lakeside Park and ITIGB are terrible (especially Lakeside Park, though it's a little better on ATWAS). The Necromancer doesn't really do it for me, but about half of Fountain is pretty good. As a guitar player, I have no problem admitting that the album does have some really good Lerxst moments.

Yeah, I'd say this comes off as a bad test run before 2112. I rank it pretty low on my list. The epics aren't NEARLY as good as the future epics (2112, the Cygnii, Xanadu, Natural Science, Camera Eye), and By-Tor is better than this entire album, I think.

:codger: :codger: :codger:

• Like 3

COS doesn't really do it for me. Bastille Day's alright, but I think Lakeside Park and ITIGB are terrible (especially Lakeside Park, though it's a little better on ATWAS). The Necromancer doesn't really do it for me, but about half of Fountain is pretty good. As a guitar player, I have no problem admitting that the album does have some really good Lerxst moments.

Yeah, I'd say this comes off as a bad test run before 2112. I rank it pretty low on my list. The epics aren't NEARLY as good as the future epics (2112, the Cygnii, Xanadu, Natural Science, Camera Eye), and By-Tor is better than this entire album, I think.

:codger: :codger: :codger:

:goodone:

She was older and definitely broke the seal on my package so to speak. She gave me confidence for sure and I owe her for that at least. She used, abused and taught me and then sent me on my way..... :)

She was older and definitely broke the seal on my package so to speak. She gave me confidence for sure and I owe her for that at least. She used, abused and taught me and then sent me on my way..... :)

Here's a meaning for my life

A shelter from the storm

Pacify my troubles with

Her body, soft and warm

Naked in our unity

A smile for every tear

Gentle hands that promise me

Comfort through the years

Yet I know I must be gone

Before the light of dawn

Panacea, passion pure

I can't resist your gentle lure

My heart will lie beside you

And my wandering body grieves

• Like 1

Here's a meaning for my life

A shelter from the storm

Pacify my troubles with

Her body, soft and warm

Naked in our unity

A smile for every tear

Gentle hands that promise me

Comfort through the years

Yet I know I must be gone

Before the light of dawn

Panacea, passion pure

I can't resist your gentle lure