"A Farewell To Kings" Question (for those of you who were around when it came out)

Lorraine

For TRF members who remember when A Farewell To Kings came out in the seventies, do you recall what kind of reception it got? Did people like it?

I've been listening to it, and I know for a fact that IF I had heard this album on the radio back in 1977, I would have absolutely loved it. But, I don't recall hearing it played on NYC FM stations.

Want to add that I remember hearing Closer To The Heart a lot on the radio (which probably turned me off to exploring the rest of the album), but none of the other songs.

Personally, I would never have chosen that song to represent the album, but no one asked me my opinion.

This was my first "new release" as I have posted before. I bought this one the day it hit the record store. I don't recall anybody liking it besides me and a very few friends of mine. DC101 was the big rock station in the DC area and they may have played Closer To The Heart from time to time from what I remember. I honestly and truthfully don't remember Rush getting any airplay worth mentioning at all until Moving Pictures of course.... It was depressing really at the time. Most of "my music" wasn't on the radio and they were no different..

BTW: any thread to do with this recording is a good thread in my view. Their most special studio work for me ever... :chills:

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

This was my first "new release" as I have posted before. I bought this one the day it hit the record store. I don't recall anybody liking it besides me and a very few friends of mine. DC101 was the big rock station in DC area I they may have played Closer To The Heart a few time from what I remember. I honestly and truthfully don't remember Rush getting any airplay worth mentioning at all until Moving Pictures of course.... It was depressing really at the time. Most of "my music" wasn't on the radio and they were no different..

I'm trying to remember who was big that year to see what kind of competition they were up against.

This album should have catapulted them to the top. Their talent and individuality is evident in every song. They must have had either poor management, poor promotion, or too much competition.

Too bad this album didn't come out in 1968 or 1969. It would have fit right in. :cool:

Narps, wanted to add that this proves your exquisite taste in music. :)

And yours my sweet..... This recording is super special to me as I have said. My one and only tat to date below......

http://s28.postimg.org/x3fra3ijh/IMAG0748.jpg

• Like 3

Let's see - 1977 - you were 16? You got that tattoo when you were sixteen?

When I turned 50 I got it. I could have gotten a tattoo of many things but I picked this. Seems silly but it was special then (77') in giving comfort to a loser 16 year old and it still is to this day. Its hard to explain...
  • Like 2

Like Narpski, AFTK was the "new" Rush album when I first got into the band and like Narpski, outside my circle of friends I had no idea if anyone else even knew who Rush was. Rush certainly wasn't getting much in the way of airplay back then. In those days FM radio was in love with bands like Nazareth, ZZ Top, Queen, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Foreigner, STYX, Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Kiss (but pretty much only Beth or Rock and Roll All Night) -- all great bands, mind you, but none that sounded anything like Rush in their heyday. You might hear Rush at late night, but it was almost always In The Mood back then.

Like Narpski, AFTK was the "new" Rush album when I first got into the band and like Narpski, outside my circle of friends I had no idea if anyone else even knew who Rush was. Rush certainly wasn't getting much in the way of airplay back then. In those days FM radio was in love with bands like Nazareth, ZZ Top, Queen, Kansas, Pink Floyd, Foreigner, STYX, Ted Nugent, AC/DC, Kiss (but pretty much only Beth or Rock and Roll All Night) -- all great bands, mind you, but none that sounded anything like Rush in their heyday. You might hear Rush at late night, but it was almost always In The Mood back then.

Not to nitpick my brother but I was with you till AC/DC. I was a huge fan of theirs to in 1977 and was wearing out everything from LTBR back on my turntable. When Highway To Hell came out it got a little play but of course not until Back In Black did anybody seemingly but me know who they were. Just how I remember it. They were hated or at least ignored by my recollection...... :)

That's a shame. Like I said, I distinctly remember hearing Closer To The Heart a lot on the radio back then, but that was it. The next time I remember hearing Rush was Tom Sawyer.

If I remember correctly, Alex said they recorded this album in five days?

Let's see - 1977 - you were 16? You got that tattoo when you were sixteen?

When I turned 50 I got it. I could have gotten a tattoo of many things but I picked this. Seems silly but it was special then (77') in giving comfort to a loser 16 year old and it still is to this day. Its hard to explain...

You shouldn't say that about yourself. And you don't have to explain. I can relate.

I'll be back. I am going for a walk to a local store (about 3 miles) to a grab couple things before it rains. I am going to listen during my walk to A Farewell To Kings in honor of one of my fav members around here. Miss Lorraine. Thanks for the thread my dear. It really gets my juices flowing to talk about this recording.... :cheers: :rose: BRB Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

First and most memorable show of my life, remember being excited by the explosion after the acoustic part on the song "A Farewell to Kings". :yay:
  • Like 1

Aerosmith

Peter Frampton

Renaissance

Kansas

Foreigner

That's who I was listening to. Maybe some others that I can't think of right now.

I took a trip to the faaaair

Ah! I see you know them. Without cheating and off the top of my head, that song is from Scheherazade? That would be the album I was listening to around 1977 as it had recently come out.

• Like 1

Not to nitpick my brother but I was with you till AC/DC. I was a huge fan of theirs to in 1977 and was wearing out everything from LTBR back on my turntable. When Highway To Hell came out it got a little play but of course not until Back In Black did anybody seemingly but me know who they were. Just how I remember it. They were hated or at least ignored by my recollection...... :)

They were a somewhat popular band in my school around that time. I think they toured with Van Halen around '77 or '78 and that may have put them on the radar in my neck of the woods, but yeah, nothing like their explosive popularity following BiB.

Aerosmith

Peter Frampton

Renaissance

Kansas

Foreigner

That's who I was listening to. Maybe some others that I can't think of right now.

In '77 I was listening to lots of

Rush

Foreigner

Judas Priest

Ted Nugent

Triumph

Nazareth

April Wine (Live at the El Mocabo -- I love that album to this day!)

Blue Oyster Cult

Montrose

Edit: and how could I have forgotten Pink Floyd!

Edited by JARG

First and most memorable show of my life, remember being excited by the explosion after the acoustic part on the song "A Farewell to Kings". :yay:

I was looking through a pair of binoculars right at that moment. I saw spots for the rest of the song!

This was my first "new release" as I have posted before. I bought this one the day it hit the record store. I don't recall anybody liking it besides me and a very few friends of mine. DC101 was the big rock station in DC area I they may have played Closer To The Heart a few time from what I remember. I honestly and truthfully don't remember Rush getting any airplay worth mentioning at all until Moving Pictures of course.... It was depressing really at the time. Most of "my music" wasn't on the radio and they were no different..

I'm trying to remember who was big that year to see what kind of competition they were up against.

This album should have catapulted them to the top. Their talent and individuality is evident in every song. They must have had either poor management, poor promotion, or too much competition.

Too bad this album didn't come out in 1968 or 1969. It would have fit right in. :cool:

Competition is irrelevant.. Rush wasn't within anyone's format because for some crazy reason the best music wasn't found on commercial radio.. Still isn't ;)

• Like 1

Aerosmith

Peter Frampton

Renaissance

Kansas

Foreigner

In '77 I was listening to lots of

Rush

Foreigner

Judas Priest

Ted Nugent

Triumph

Nazareth

April Wine (Live at the El Mocabo -- I love that album to this day!)

Blue Oyster Cult

Montrose

Edit: and how could I have forgotten Pink Floyd!

Nice list. For me 1977......

Rush

Yes

AC/DC

JP

Scorpions

UFO

Pat Travers Band

Triumph

Journey

Budgie

Led Zep

Nothing remotely popular at all except for Zep. Hey its the same as I listen to today... :codger: :)

Oops forgot Moxy

Edited by Narpski

It was quite a big deal in England. My big brother & his friends were all over it at the time of its release. I was too young though.

I also remember it getting a good deal of coverage in the music press too (Sounds etc). My brother's circle all read that stuff & talked about it all the time.

So yes, as I recall it made quite an impression over here.

• Like 1