"A Farewell To Kings" Question (for those of you who were around when it came out)

Lorraine

Happy to have been along for the ride for so many years, but thankful and relieved that they've finally decided to hang it up while they still had a bit of dignity left (assuming the next tour is the last).

I agree completely. If you want to know the truth, watching Geddy sing on the CA DVD stresses me out. I keep waiting for him to go off key. When you watch the young Geddy sing, it doesn't cost him anything; unlike the Geddy of today - you can see it is an effort for him to sing those songs.

Oh man, it does me too. It almost makes me cringe at times. It's like I try to help him reach the notes and it's a physical effort. If he hadn't been such a great singer when he was younger it probably wouldn't be so depressing now. Watching the video it seems like every time Geddy struggles to hit a note or his voice breaks, Neil make a face.

That's the reason I really don't like watching the recent live videos—I feel so bad when Geddy strains and doesn't quite make some of those notes. It's tough to watch.

• Like 2

Happy to have been along for the ride for so many years, but thankful and relieved that they've finally decided to hang it up while they still had a bit of dignity left (assuming the next tour is the last).

I agree completely. If you want to know the truth, watching Geddy sing on the CA DVD stresses me out. I keep waiting for him to go off key. When you watch the young Geddy sing, it doesn't cost him anything; unlike the Geddy of today - you can see it is an effort for him to sing those songs.

Oh man, it does me too. It almost makes me cringe at times. It's like I try to help him reach the notes and it's a physical effort. If he hadn't been such a great singer when he was younger it probably wouldn't be so depressing now. Watching the video it seems like every time Geddy struggles to hit a note or his voice breaks, Neil make a face.

That's the reason I really don't like watching the recent live videos—I feel so bad when Geddy strains and doesn't quite make some of those notes. It's tough to watch.

Very painful. I posted the story of going to see the Clockwork Angels show in the movie theater with my wife, son and his girlfriend before. Especially when they were doing the Clockwork stuff I found myself cringing and sinking in my seat because of this. My wife and son (a musician and fan himself) know their older music and it wasn't so bad when they were doing some of that because they at least know the songs and what the vocals are supposed to sound like. The Clockwork stuff with exception of The Garden I sadly couldn't wait for it to end.... :(

Edit: mostly for their benefit not mine

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

If anyone here has a good imagination, tell me - picture yourself at the very last Rush concert. You know this is it. They are playing the last song. How do you feel? Are you choked up? Crying (even if you are a man)? Wishing you could freeze the moment forever?

That's it exactly!! That is exactly how I feel watching him - especially about helping him reach the notes and seeing what an effort it is for him to even do what he is doing. I don't understand what happened. I'm not saying that he can't sing. He can. But I honestly don't know if there is something wrong with his throat - polyps? I don't know. But something happened within the past ten years.

As for Neil - he's making an effort too. It is taking everything he has to play those drums. He use to do it with such ease. Both he and Alex are all hunched up and you can see the tension in them.

I'm sorry. I know people here will get offended by what I have written, but this is why I really think it is best if they do one final tour and then call it a day. Knowing what they once were and watching them in concert from twenty and thirty years ago, and then seeing them today - it is painful to watch, and I feel so bad for them. They can't help it. If they could still do what they once did, they would. But they can't anymore.

• Like 1

If anyone here has a good imagination, tell me - picture yourself at the very last Rush concert. You know this is it. They are playing the last song. How do you feel? Are you choked up? Crying (even if you are a man)? Wishing you could freeze the moment forever?

That's it exactly!! That is exactly how I feel watching him - especially about helping him reach the notes and seeing what an effort it is for him to even do what he is doing. I don't understand what happened. I'm not saying that he can't sing. He can. But I honestly don't know if there is something wrong with his throat - polyps? I don't know. But something happened within the past ten years.

As for Neil - he's making an effort too. It is taking everything he has to play those drums. He use to do it with such ease. Both he and Alex are all hunched up and you can see the tension in them.

I'm sorry. I know people here will get offended by what I have written, but this is why I really think it is best if they do one final tour and then call it a day. Knowing what they once were and watching them in concert from twenty and thirty years ago, and then seeing them today - it is painful to watch, and I feel so bad for them. They can't help it. If they could still do what they once did, they would. But they can't anymore.

There is offense from here. There should be no offense taken at anything you have said by any clear thinking person. The handwriting is on the wall. I would love one more "old school" type recording and tour and then they can call it a wonderful career.... :(
  • Like 1

I'm certainly not offended and am in much agreement with you, but I've been wanting them to hang it up (touring wise) since about TFE.

I'm certainly not offended and am in much agreement with you, but I've been wanting them to hang it up (touring wise) since about TFE.

Well, I'm glad they didn't, because if they had, I couldn't have become a Rush fan at the gig in 2007, and wouldn't have had the peak experiences of my 40s. So, ner!

• Like 1

Are you saying that when they came back, they were never the same?

Maybe in a roundabout way I am. I'm saying that starting with the VT tour, Geddy's voice really seems to have suffered in quality and it's been degrading ever since.

I've been seeing them since Hemispheres so maybe it's just that I started to hit the burnout point around VT. I haven't been jazzed about a Rush show in a long time. I still go, out of some misplaced sense of loyalty, but between Ged's voice, Alex's and Neil's inability to play like they used to, and set lists that seem to be fairly unimaginative, my enthusiasm is all but gone. Case in point: I spent far more time watching Howard work the lights on the last tour than I did watching the band.

Are you saying that when they came back, they were never the same?

Maybe in a roundabout way I am. I'm saying that starting with the VT tour, Geddy's voice really seems to have suffered in quality and it's been degrading ever since.

I've been seeing them since Hemispheres so maybe it's just that I started to hit the burnout point around VT. I haven't been jazzed about a Rush show in a long time. I still go, out of some misplaced sense of loyalty, but between Ged's voice, Alex's and Neil's inability to play like they used to, and set lists that seem to be fairly unimaginative, my enthusiasm is all but gone. Case in point: I spent far more time watching Howard work the lights on the last tour than I did watching the band.

I know that feelng. That's how I felt at the last Moody Blues concert I attended in the late eighties. I had to be dragged to it.

Edited by Lorraine

Just listened to this again for the first time in ages

First 3 songs are amazing. then it kinda fades into the background.

Hemispheres barring the title track is much MUCH better. The 3 songs on side 2 nearly K.O a Farewell to Kings. I say nearly cause.....Xanadu, lol.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

damn this thread has become depressing. If you don't like the way the band sounds stop going to the shows, but don't wish for them to hang it up.

I saw them in Portland last year for the 58th time and was I still blown away. Other than Ged struggling with some of the vocals, I don't notice their playing suffering at all, and I've seen every tour since AFTK.

Selfishly I still expect much more output from them.

damn this thread has become depressing. If you don't like the way the band sounds stop going to the shows, but don't wish for them to hang it up.

I saw them in Portland last year for the 58th time and was I still blown away. Other than Ged struggling with some of the vocals, I don't notice their playing suffering at all, and I've seen every tour since AFTK.

I can understand where you are coming from. From your posts (not just this one) its obvious that you love this band and want them around forever if that were possible. I really should only speak for myself but I am going out on a limb to just say we love this band too. I personally can't selfishly expect much more output from them. I think you and I are probably around the same age and have been fans since the mid 70's. I, in an honest moment would be thrilled with one killer old school turn the clock back album and a tour. I think I would be naive to expect much more. I am "only" 53 and know how I feel. Can't imagine the grind at their age.... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

I can understand where you are coming from. From your posts (not just this one) its obvious that you love this band and want them around forever if that were possible. I really should only speak for myself but I am going out on a limb to just say we love this band too. I personally can't selfishly expect much more output from them. I think you and I are probably around the same age and have been fans since the mid 70's. I, in an honest moment would be thrilled will one killer old school turn the clock back album and a tour. I think I would be naive to expect much more. I am "only" 53 and know how I feel. Can't imagine the grind at their age.... :)

Narps, thank you. I love them too.

I'm a year younger than Geddy and Alex, and I have absolutely no idea how they do what they do. It must be very hard on them.

• Like 2

I can understand where you are coming from. From your posts (not just this one) its obvious that you love this band and want them around forever if that were possible. I really should only speak for myself but I am going out on a limb to just say we love this band too. I personally can't selfishly expect much more output from them. I think you and I are probably around the same age and have been fans since the mid 70's. I, in an honest moment would be thrilled will one killer old school turn the clock back album and a tour. I think I would be naive to expect much more. I am "only" 53 and know how I feel. Can't imagine the grind at their age.... :)

Narps, thank you. I love them too.

I'm a year younger than Geddy and Alex, and I have absolutely no idea how they do what they do. It must be very hard on them.

If I am not mistaken Alex has psoriatic arthritis too? My dad has had that since I can remember. His fingers and joints (no pun intended) probably kill him on the road. My dad is 80 now and can barely move at all. At 60 he wasn't that much better as I recall. Thanks for the post. Needed that... :rose:
  • Like 1

This was my first Rush concert back in 1977. UFO opened up for them. A third band was to be playing but for some reason didn't play. If memory serves, it was The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. :D To be honest this was a very hard album to accept early on. ATWAS is what got me in to Rush.That live raw sound was out of this world! When Kings came out, I was like WTF? It wasn't heavy enough ect. I liked all the tunes but it just wasn't what I was introduced to so I was in shock. But as time went by I finally accepted that the band was doing what they wanted to do. Not what the record companies expected of them. I alway's knew that they would make it in the long run because of the band taking big chances and wanting to do things there own way. That's what I love about them the most. Rock on :rush: :Alex: :Neil: :geddy: Edited by troutman
  • Like 3

I can understand where you are coming from. From your posts (not just this one) its obvious that you love this band and want them around forever if that were possible. I really should only speak for myself but I am going out on a limb to just say we love this band too. I personally can't selfishly expect much more output from them. I think you and I are probably around the same age and have been fans since the mid 70's. I, in an honest moment would be thrilled with one killer old school turn the clock back album and a tour. I think I would be naive to expect much more. I am "only" 53 and know how I feel. Can't imagine the grind at their age.... :)

yep i'll be 52 on tuesday. They've been a huge influence on my life since I was 14 so of course I will be crushed when they do decide hang it up. And if I really felt they were overstaying their welcome, I would not selfishly want them to continue. But when I go see them live, I'm still experiencing a band pretty much on top of their game (again except the vocals). I saw Clockwork 3 times and Alex absolutely killed the solo in Analog Kid every time causing the crowd to go nuts. If he's in pain from arthritis, he's doing a great job of powering through it.

In fact, here's some video I shot last July. Does this look or sound like a band on their last legs?

http://youtu.be/qSUeUBW5r0E

• Like 5

I don't recall ANY of it being on the radio...I remember seeing ads for it in Circus Magazine, and made sure I got a copy when it came out (happened to be at a local mall that day, and begged my mother to get it for me)

I think the ONLY Rush you ever heard on the radio at that point was Fly by Night....

Circus Magazine - I used to read that too. I'd forgotten all about it until you mentioned it.

Yeah, I used to bug store owners for when the new issue would show up..I was totally addicted to it...I never was a fan of Kiss, but I LOVED reading the interviews with them! Always funny stuff! (a friend of mine was a big fan, used to try to "convert" me, but I just didn't dig them at ALL)

• Like 1

This was my first Rush concert back in 1977. UFO opened up for them. A third band was to be playing but for some reason didn't play. If memory serves, it was The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. :D To be honest this was a very hard album to accept early on. ATWAS is what got me in to Rush.That live raw sound was out of this world! When Kings came out, I was like WTF? It wasn't heavy enough ect. I liked all the tunes but it just wasn't what I was introduced to so I was in shock. But as time went by I finally accepted that the band was doing what they wanted to do. Not what the record companies expected of them. I alway's knew that they would make it in the long run because of the band taking big chances and wanting to do things there own way. That's what I love about them the most. Rock on :rush: :Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

That's the other thing about it....the album was VERY different from what I was used to hearing, but also being a Queen fan at the time, I was used to things being different from album to album, and this one just sat well with me...when Hemispheres came out, I was beyond hooked! In fact, the second time I played any of Hemispheres, I played Cygnus X-1, THEN "book II" !

This was just a great time to be a Rush fan!

• Like 4

I don't recall ANY of it being on the radio...I remember seeing ads for it in Circus Magazine, and made sure I got a copy when it came out (happened to be at a local mall that day, and begged my mother to get it for me)

I think the ONLY Rush you ever heard on the radio at that point was Fly by Night....

Circus Magazine - I used to read that too. I'd forgotten all about it until you mentioned it.

Yeah, I used to bug store owners for when the new issue would show up..I was totally addicted to it...I never was a fan of Kiss, but I LOVED reading the interviews with them! Always funny stuff! (a friend of mine was a big fan, used to try to "convert" me, but I just didn't dig them at ALL)

I hear ya! I've been digging Rush and laughing at Kiss for literally decades.. ;)

• Like 1

This was my first Rush concert back in 1977. UFO opened up for them. A third band was to be playing but for some reason didn't play. If memory serves, it was The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. :D To be honest this was a very hard album to accept early on. ATWAS is what got me in to Rush.That live raw sound was out of this world! When Kings came out, I was like WTF? It wasn't heavy enough ect. I liked all the tunes but it just wasn't what I was introduced to so I was in shock. But as time went by I finally accepted that the band was doing what they wanted to do. Not what the record companies expected of them. I alway's knew that they would make it in the long run because of the band taking big chances and wanting to do things there own way. That's what I love about them the most. Rock on :rush: :Alex: :Neil: :geddy:

That's the other thing about it....the album was VERY different from what I was used to hearing, but also being a Queen fan at the time, I was used to things being different from album to album, and this one just sat well with me...when Hemispheres came out, I was beyond hooked! In fact, the second time I played any of Hemispheres, I played Cygnus X-1, THEN "book II" !

This was just a great time to be a Rush fan!

That's one good thing about technology. Playing both them songs in sequence today doesn't involve pulling the needle off, carefully putting the record in that stupid sleeve, pulling the next album out and carefully syncing up the needle.. Major buzz kill haha

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 2

Circus magazine!! I loved that rag. I eagerly awaited every issue. It was great reading and photos for a young rock fan back then. A poster in every issue. Kids today (old guy sounding off) don't get that same excitement anymore. Back way before the internet etc., you literally had to go out to the local variety store and look through the magazine shelf to see if it had arrived yet. I remember the excitement when I would spot a new issue. I would race back home to eagerly read through it. Same thing with visits to the record store. It is a part of youth that has just disappeared.
  • Like 5

Circus magazine!! I loved that rag. I eagerly awaited every issue. It was great reading and photos for a young rock fan back then. A poster in every issue. Kids today (old guy sounding off) don't get that same excitement anymore. Back way before the internet etc., you literally had to go out to the local variety store and look through the magazine shelf to see if it had arrived yet. I remember the excitement when I would spot a new issue. I would race back home to eagerly read through it. Same thing with visits to the record store. It is a part of youth that has just disappeared.

Beautiful ^^^^^^ and no truer words were ever spoken. I had the same experience and every picture I could find of my band and the others I loved was like gold to me. My room was wallpapered with them.... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

Beautiful ^^^^^^ and no truer words were ever spoken. I had the same experience and every picture I could find of my band and the others I loved was like gold to me. My room was wallpapered with them....

I'd go to the record store and get stuff like Circus, Kerrang, Creem, NME, Sounds, or one of those Guitar magazines if they had articles about bands I liked, or wanted to know more about. In the very early 80s I liked stuff that didn't get played on the radio and I knew very few people who liked the same stuff I did, so magazines and interviews (in magazines) were the only way I had to find out about new music (short of going and buying random albums, which I didn't have the money for).

Prior to when I got back into Rush some years ago the only things I knew about them were what I happened to have read way back when. Now we've got Wikipedia and pretty much every article ever on Cygnus-X1.net and it's no longer a treasure hunt to get info on or photos of the band...

Beautiful ^^^^^^ and no truer words were ever spoken. I had the same experience and every picture I could find of my band and the others I loved was like gold to me. My room was wallpapered with them....

I'd go to the record store and get stuff like Circus, Kerrang, Creem, NME, Sounds, or one of those Guitar magazines if they had articles about bands I liked, or wanted to know more about. In the very early 80s I liked stuff that didn't get played on the radio and I knew very few people who liked the same stuff I did, so magazines and interviews (in magazines) were the only way I had to find out about new music (short of going and buying random albums, which I didn't have the money for).

Prior to when I got back into Rush some years ago the only things I knew about them were what I happened to have read way back when. Now we've got Wikipedia and pretty much every article ever on Cygnus-X1.net and it's no longer a treasure hunt to get info on or photos of the band...

And Circus (or hit parader, I forget) always had that page with lyrics to a song! Now it's nothing to punch that shit up on the internet. It's too damn easy now!

• Like 3