I have a question about protein. I haven't really paid attention to it in the past except for one time when I was vegetarian, started doing weights, wasn't getting enough and started to experience constant flu-like muscle aches. I found plant-based nutrition and was able to correct the issue. But now that I am getting back into weights I'm looking for more ideas of what I can eat to get more protein. According to my personal dietary guidelines I should be getting 156 grams a day and I'm lucky if I hit 75 grams. I've tried cottage cheese, protein shakes, the occasional omelette, chicken breast, nuts, soy products, etc... And I'm still not getting enough. Does anybody know anything about this and what can be done?

I am curious also. I have pretty well decided to do the vegetarian thing starting next Monday. Even going through all the health issues I have had lately I still have remained pretty fit but want to take my health and fitness to the next level. I enjoy eating fruits and vegetables anyway and I don't think I will miss the meat. I have read a little about the protein thing and apparently beans are a good source and I love beans too. Lentil, pinto, kidney beans etc are good and I like them. I enjoy peanut butter also. There are other kinds that are better from what I hear so I will be looking into those also. This will be fun I think. After my sinus/septum surgery next Tuesday and hopefully feeling better after a few days I am planning on taking some workouts to the beach and see how that changes things with my fitness. The weather is warming here and running and walking the beach (at least every other day alternating with the gym) should be fun and shock my body to the next level hopefully..... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I am curious also. I have pretty well decided to do the vegetarian starting next Monday. Even going through all the health issues I have had lately I still have remained pretty fit but want to take my health and fitness to the next level. I enjoy eating fruits and vegetables anyway and I don't think I will miss the meat. I have read a little about the protein thing and apparently beans are a good source and I love beans too. Lentil, pinto, kidney beans etc are good and I like them. I enjoy peanut butter also. There are other kinds that are better from what I hear so I will be looking into those also. This will be fun I think. After my sinus/septum surgery next Tuesday and hopefully feeling better after a few days I am planning on taking some workouts to the beach and see how that changes things with my fitness. The weather is warming here and running and walking the beach (at least every other day alternating with the gym) should be fun and shock my body to the next level hopefully..... :)

Can I ask why you are going veggie? Oh yeah I totally forgot to mention beans! I've had black, kidney, pinto, garbanzo, etc... in my diet as well.

I am curious also. I have pretty well decided to do the vegetarian starting next Monday. Even going through all the health issues I have had lately I still have remained pretty fit but want to take my health and fitness to the next level. I enjoy eating fruits and vegetables anyway and I don't think I will miss the meat. I have read a little about the protein thing and apparently beans are a good source and I love beans too. Lentil, pinto, kidney beans etc are good and I like them. I enjoy peanut butter also. There are other kinds that are better from what I hear so I will be looking into those also. This will be fun I think. After my sinus/septum surgery next Tuesday and hopefully feeling better after a few days I am planning on taking some workouts to the beach and see how that changes things with my fitness. The weather is warming here and running and walking the beach (at least every other day alternating with the gym) should be fun and shock my body to the next level hopefully..... :)

Can I ask why you are going veggie? Oh yeah I totally forgot to mention beans! I've had black, kidney, pinto, garbanzo, etc... in my diet as well.

Health and fitness reasons. I have lost so much weight (the past 11 months) and am pretty fit now but want to be super fit and healthy. Its just my nature to go overboard with everything I do. I don't eat much fruit and vegetables now and this will force me to eat healthier and I know I can do it. Like I said when I decide to do something, it will happen. That simple really...
  • Like 2

I am very interested in health, and I have studied nutrition—both formally in school and informally by doing a lot of my own reading. I've worked with registered dietitians and physicians to fine-tune my own eating habits. And I've been vegetarian for over seven years. One thing that I have learned over the years is that if you eat meat you do not have to worry about your protein intake. It's more likely you are getting too much protein rather than too little. If you are a vegetarian and eating a healthy diet (meaning not just all bread and processed food) then you do not have to worry about your protein intake as eggs, beans, and even vegetables have enough protein for you.

The only people who might have to pay more attention to getting enough protein are serious weight lifters, as in, huge competition people. If you are going to the gym and doing some weights to stay healthy that's not what is considered "weight lifting."

If you have serious concerns about your diet I suggest consulting with a registered dietician. Beware the title "nutritionist" as it does not necessarily mean the person has medical qualifications. Beware asking an MD for dietary advice as most MDs only take a basic nutrition course as an undergrad and get no advanced training.

• Like 3

I am very interested in health, and I have studied nutrition—both formally in school and informally by doing a lot of my own reading. I've worked with registered dietitians and physicians to fine-tune my own eating habits. And I've been vegetarian for over seven years. One thing that I have learned over the years is that if you eat meat you do not have to worry about your protein intake. It's more likely you are getting too much protein rather than too little. If you are a vegetarian and eating a healthy diet (meaning not just all bread and processed food) then you do not have to worry about your protein intake as eggs, beans, and even vegetables have enough protein for you.

The only people who might have to pay more attention to getting enough protein are serious weight lifters, as in, huge competition people. If you are going to the gym and doing some weights to stay healthy that's not what is considered "weight lifting."

If you have serious concerns about your diet I suggest consulting with a registered dietician. Beware the title "nutritionist" as it does not necessarily mean the person has medical qualifications. Beware asking an MD for dietary advice as most MDs only take a basic nutrition course as an undergrad and get no advanced training.

How much do you think I should be getting in terms of grams per day? Does 165 sound reasonable?

Great advice.

I've tried cottage cheese, protein shakes, the occasional omelette, chicken breast, nuts, soy products, etc...

If you're incorporating eggs, dairy, meat, and nuts into your diet regularly and taking protein shakes on top of that, you're doing fine. There's always a bit more you could add to the mix—a can of tuna here and there is a cheap, easy way to get additional protein, for instance—but as x1yyz explained, you probably don't need to worry about it.

How much do you think I should be getting in terms of grams per day? Does 165 sound reasonable?

Unless you're an extreme athlete and/or really shooting to build up muscle, 165 is likely much more than you actually need. A "regular person" can be happy and healthy taking in 50-60 per day.

• Like 2

Great advice.

I've tried cottage cheese, protein shakes, the occasional omelette, chicken breast, nuts, soy products, etc...

If you're incorporating eggs, dairy, meat, and nuts into your diet regularly and taking protein shakes on top of that, you're doing fine. There's always a bit more you could add to the mix—a can of tuna here and there is a cheap, easy way to get additional protein, for instance—but as x1yyz explained, you probably don't need to worry about it.

Unless you're an extreme athlete and/or really shooting to build up muscle, 165 is likely much more than you actually need. A "regular person" can be happy and healthy taking in 50-60 per day.

Okay so yesterday I was at 74 without really trying. Thanks for the advice, that really helps a lot.

Also, I don't count anything food-wise—calories, fat, protein. Two things I learned from Weight Watchers are: The more you count stuff, the more you obsess over it, and you should not obsess over food; and, your eating habits should be sustainable for the long-term and unless you're planning on counting stuff every day of your life then don't bother with it now.

Instead, concentrate on eating well. Eat foods that don't come in packages, eat a variety of different things, and try to make sure most of the food is plants.

• Like 4

I have a question about protein. I haven't really paid attention to it in the past except for one time when I was vegetarian, started doing weights, wasn't getting enough and started to experience constant flu-like muscle aches. I found plant-based nutrition and was able to correct the issue. But now that I am getting back into weights I'm looking for more ideas of what I can eat to get more protein. According to my personal dietary guidelines I should be getting 156 grams a day and I'm lucky if I hit 75 grams. I've tried cottage cheese, protein shakes, the occasional omelette, chicken breast, nuts, soy products, etc... And I'm still not getting enough. Does anybody know anything about this and what can be done?

Are you going back to being a vegan too?

You can get a surprising amount of protein from vegetables believe it or not. 1 cup of cooked spinach has 7g of protein, the same amount of many beans would give you double dose of protein.

Adding Hemp seeds to smoothies gives you extra protein as well.

Switching to soy or almond milk has protein

Nut butters... peanut, almond, cashew

QUINOA- what a powerhouse it is. 1 cup gives you 9g of protein

Tofu, lentils- 1 cup = 18g

Sprouts, tempeh

I don't think you'll have too much trouble getting enough protein in your diet. :)

• Like 2

Also, I don't count anything food-wise—calories, fat, protein. Two things I learned from Weight Watchers are: The more you count stuff, the more you obsess over it, and you should not obsess over food; and, your eating habits should be sustainable for the long-term and unless you're planning on counting stuff every day of your life then don't bother with it now.

Instead, concentrate on eating well. Eat foods that don't come in packages, eat a variety of different things, and try to make sure most of the food is plants.

This is the very best of all advice for losing weight or just staying healthy.

• Like 2

This is the very best of all advice for losing weight or just staying healthy.

Agreed. I never count anything. Its to much like work....

Oh I'm an obsessive counter, if I don't, I gain weight. I have a log and a special formula and everything. Except I will admit I don't worry so much if I'm eating super healthy.

Oh I'm an obsessive counter, if I don't, I gain weight. I have a log and a special formula and everything. Except I will admit I don't worry so much if I'm eating super healthy.

I used to use that calorie counter app too.. I think I added you to my friends on it actually.. :LOL:

I found that while it helped to motivate me to be more active in exercising, it STILL wasn't the best thing for me. I've lost 7lbs since starting to eat raw and cutting out gluten and refined sugar. 7lbs that I have been able to KEEP OFF! Which is really saying something.

The calorie counter doesn't give too much detail about your daily requirements of protein, carbs, fibre, calcium etc... so that's why i stopped using it.

• Like 1

I used to use that calorie counter app too.. I think I added you to my friends on it actually.. :LOL:

I found that while it helped to motivate me to be more active in exercising, it STILL wasn't the best thing for me. I've lost 7lbs since starting to eat raw and cutting out gluten and refined sugar. 7lbs that I have been able to KEEP OFF! Which is really saying something.

The calorie counter doesn't give too much detail about your daily requirements of protein, carbs, fibre, calcium etc... so that's why i stopped using it.

I've lost 22 lbs and two pants sizes since late January simply by eating well and exercising.

Also, don't put a whole lot of emphasis on the scale. If you are also exercising you will be building muscle, and muscle is denser than fat. So you might only "lose" 5 lbs, but what's really happened is you've lost 10 lbs of fat and built 5 lbs of muscle, but you've also lost a clothing size. Measurements and fitness mean more than weight.

Eat foods that don't come in packages, eat a variety of different things, and try to make sure most of the food is plants.

This is what did it (is doing it) for me.

• Like 2

I've lost 22 lbs and two pants sizes since late January simply by eating well and exercising.

Also, don't put a whole lot of emphasis on the scale. If you are also exercising you will be building muscle, and muscle is denser than fat. So you might only "lose" 5 lbs, but what's really happened is you've lost 10 lbs of fat and built 5 lbs of muscle, but you've also lost a clothing size. Measurements and fitness mean more than weight.

Eat foods that don't come in packages, eat a variety of different things, and try to make sure most of the food is plants.

May I ask what a typical day of eating looks like for you?

I have done the same the past 11 months. I have gone from 36 waist pants that were tight to 32 waist pants that are loose. I cared the first 6 or 7 months (40 pounds gone) what the scale said but the last 4 months I really don't give a sh*t. My weight hasn't changed much the last 4 months but I am slimmer and more muscular. My clothes tell me everything I need to know..... :)
  • Like 1

Today I had a banana & tea when I got up.

Ran/walked for 60 mins.

Had breakfast of chia pudding and berries.

Lunch was kale salad with quinoa, pecans, & avocado.

Sweet tooth was acting up so I had a handful of little chocolate covered raisins.

For a snack I might have some kale chips or fruit.

Tonight we're going out to an Indian restaurant for a friend's birthday do I'll have to figure out what to eat there. Indian food has so much cream & butter it often gives me a tummy ache, but hopefully I can find a nice veggie dish. I may splurge and have a beer.

Oh yeah, I'm a vegetarian so that's why there's no meat here :)

• Like 2

Ran/walked for 60 mins.

Sweet tooth was acting up so I had a handful of little chocolate covered raisins.

Tonight we're going out to an Indian restaurant for a friend's birthday do I'll have to figure out what to eat there. Indian food has so much cream & butter it often gives me a tummy ache, but hopefully I can find a nice veggie dish. I may splurge and have a beer.

Nice.... :rose: :notworthy:
  • Like 1

Ran/walked for 60 mins.

Also, I don't measure what I eat. Since most of what I eat is fruits and veggies I just eat until I'm no longer hungry. (You can't eat too many veggies.) If I decide to eat some sweets or bread I'll keep the portions on the small size.

• Like 1

Ran/walked for 60 mins.

Also, I don't measure what I eat. Since most of what I eat is fruits and veggies I just eat until I'm no longer hungry. (You can't eat too many veggies.) If I decide to eat some sweets or bread I'll keep the portions on the small size.

If you wouldn't mind I may ask you for some advice with the vegetarian thing from time to time. I am planning on giving it a try beginning Monday. I will probably get a couple slices of ham out of the way tomorrow and start fresh Monday. I don't eat that much meat anyway now and pay attention to everything I eat anyway. You seem to really know what you are doing and I may have a few questions along the way if you wouldn't mind.... :)

If you wouldn't mind I may ask you for some advice with the vegetarian thing from time to time. I am planning on giving it a try beginning Monday. I will probably get a couple slices of ham out of the way tomorrow and start fresh Monday. I don't eat that much meat anyway now and pay attention to everything I eat anyway. You seem to really know what you are doing and I may have a few questions along the way if you wouldn't mind.... :)

Thank you. And sure, I would be honored! When I first turned veggie I did cheat a bit, mostly as I tried to figure out what to do. But do let me know if you have any questions.

Oh ya I should mention the 7lbs was pure body fat. I do yoga and Pilates so I do have muscle tone. I'm going to be running again soon. That will help the cardio out more.

For me the reason I changed my diet wasn't to lose weight it was to be able to absorb nutrients from food and cleanse my leaky gut.

• Like 1

Ran/walked for 60 mins.

That all actually sounds really good. Do you have a dressing that you use on your kale or do you go the oil or raw route?