Xanadu 2015?

Disk98

I'm GLAD they don't try to do the whole song anymore.

Why???

Because nowadays, they'd totally half-ass it. They don't have that fire in them to play their old songs EXACTLY right like they used to. Watch the Exit Stage Left version...they are actually manually PLAYING all the keyboard intricacies and Taurus pedals in the beginning; it's just PERFECT. You could tell they prided themselves back then on the TINY DETAILS that made them a GREAT band. Every little noise and sound was actually PLAYED.

Nowadays, you KNOW they'd do it like they did with The Camera Eye recently...then entire keyboard intro would be nothing more than Geddy holding one key down while a big long sample autonomously played in the background. Totally useless, totally cheezy, totally for lack of caring and a total loss of attention to detail, totally LAME.

You know these guys can't be bothered anymore to learn the old songs properly; they don't even make an attempt. Check out Geddy's complete disregard for the original bassline in The Analog Kid as well as the dismissal of the AMAZING original bassline during the solo at the end of The Camera Eye where nowadays he totally dicks it up...or the bass solo in Mission where he doesn't even attempt the fast part at the end; rather than finger each note individually he just slides through them. He couldn't care less to play these older songs properly (well, with Mission I doubt he could play that solo fast and properly nowadays with his whole flamenco crapstyle). And don't EVEN get me started on Neil's horrendous new versions of Red Sector A or the destruction of the amazing original drum parts to Middletown Dreams. It's like he's totally forgotten how to play hi-hat like he used to, and that was one of his signature identifiable sounds (that he has since totally disregarded; even his current hi-hat tone is non-distinct and unnoticable). And when they DO play Natural Science, Neil dumbs it down so much that it's as if he just hasn't got the finesse or stamina for it; in actually it's just that he doesn't give a damn...what happened to that amazing descending tom roll he used to do before the "In their own image" verse? He does some terrible blocky herky jerky slow thing that ruins the flow of the song...RUINS it. A complete failure and disregard for his "old" self.

So, I digress. I hope they play Xanadu, but if they aren't going to play all the parts RIGHT, then don't even attempt them. Play the shorter version without the intro...no one wants to hear several minutes of a sample being played in the background by holding down one key before the actual song starts and the band actually PLAYS their instruments.

Why???

Because nowadays, they'd totally half-ass it. They don't have that fire in them to play their old songs EXACTLY right like they used to. Watch the Exit Stage Left version...they are actually manually PLAYING all the keyboard intricacies and Taurus pedals in the beginning; it's just PERFECT. You could tell they prided themselves back then on the TINY DETAILS that made them a GREAT band. Every little noise and sound was actually PLAYED.

Nowadays, you KNOW they'd do it like they did with The Camera Eye recently...then entire keyboard intro would be nothing more than Geddy holding one key down while a big long sample autonomously played in the background. Totally useless, totally cheezy, totally for lack of caring and a total loss of attention to detail, totally LAME.

You know these guys can't be bothered anymore to learn the old songs properly; they don't even make an attempt. Check out Geddy's complete disregard for the original bassline in The Analog Kid as well as the dismissal of the AMAZING original bassline during the solo at the end of The Camera Eye where nowadays he totally dicks it up...or the bass solo in Mission where he doesn't even attempt the fast part at the end; rather than finger each note individually he just slides through them. He couldn't care less to play these older songs properly (well, with Mission I doubt he could play that solo fast and properly nowadays with his whole flamenco crapstyle). And don't EVEN get me started on Neil's horrendous new versions of Red Sector A or the destruction of the amazing original drum parts to Middletown Dreams. It's like he's totally forgotten how to play hi-hat like he used to, and that was one of his signature identifiable sounds (that he has since totally disregarded; even his current hi-hat tone is non-distinct and unnoticable). And when they DO play Natural Science, Neil dumbs it down so much that it's as if he just hasn't got the finesse or stamina for it; in actually it's just that he doesn't give a damn...what happened to that amazing descending tom roll he used to do before the "In their own image" verse? He does some terrible blocky herky jerky slow thing that ruins the flow of the song...RUINS it. A complete failure and disregard for his "old" self.

So, I digress. I hope they play Xanadu, but if they aren't going to play all the parts RIGHT, then don't even attempt them. Play the shorter version without the intro...no one wants to hear several minutes of a sample being played in the background by holding down one key before the actual song starts and the band actually PLAYS their instruments.

PFFTTT speak for yourself, dude!!! HELL YEAH I HOPE THEY PLAY XANADU!!!

• Like 5

Why???

I disagree. They aren't "ruining" the songs. They're just playing them a bit differently. Personally, I have no issue with it. And anyway, what's there to sample in the beginning of Xanadu? It's Lerxst on the guitar, Neil with some weird bells and blocky things, and Ged with a couple keys on the keyboard. They don't need any samples.

In terms of the R30 arrangement, it wasn't bad, but I missed the third verse. I know Geddy may not be able to hit the "OHHH, PARADIIIIIIIISE!" anymore, but he could tone that part down a little or just omit it. I also miss the ending of it, where they go down that scale. They could use it to segue into Tom Sawyer or TSoR or something.

OK, rant over.

• Like 2

Why???

I disagree. They aren't "ruining" the songs. They're just playing them a bit differently. Personally, I have no issue with it. And anyway, what's there to sample in the beginning of Xanadu? It's Lerxst on the guitar, Neil with some weird bells and blocky things, and Ged with a couple keys on the keyboard. They don't need any samples.

In terms of the R30 arrangement, it wasn't bad, but I missed the third verse. I know Geddy may not be able to hit the "OHHH, PARADIIIIIIIISE!" anymore, but he could tone that part down a little or just omit it. I also miss the ending of it, where they go down that scale. They could use it to segue into Tom Sawyer or TSoR or something.

OK, rant over.

:goodone:

RHRM: I was just going to mention that you do three-hour shows. And the type of music you play, it's not like you are doing three-minute pop songs. So, we talked about your signature acoustic guitar. When is the signature double neck coming out? Ha ha ha.

AL: You know, I am doing something with Gibson. Just a limited series of, you know, like an Alex Lifeson double neck. They don't have a lot of people that are promoting these sort of things. Jimmy Page and myself, I think, are probably the only two that are connected with that particular guitar. But I think they want to do a short series of that guitar based on my white double neck. And we'll have some fun with it, I think.

RHRM: Ha ha ha. I was just joking with you. But there really is one coming out!

AL: Yeah. We're developing it now, in fact.

RHRM: I love those guitars. I visited the Gibson factory. To watch the construction of those double neck guitars, it's the most incredible process to watch them being developed from scratch to the point where there is a finished product. So, then you have to play "Xanadu" on the next tour.

AL: Hmmm. I think so. Ha ha.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/red-hot-rock-05.2014.php
  • Like 1

I really don't care if they change certain parts of old songs. live experimentation and improvisation is something I wish rush and prog bands in general embraced more. it kinda sucks how if you've seen one rush bootleg from a tour, you've seen em all. same with genesis and other bands
  • Like 1

I also miss the ending of it, where they go down that scale. They could use it to segue into Tom Sawyer or TSoR or something.

OK, rant over.

Whoa. That would be AWESOME. Holy shit.

I really, really miss them playing the song live but I don't want them to do it if Geddy doesn't think he can sing it. Only thing worse than them not playing it would be them playing it and him not being able to handle the vocals.
  • Like 1

I really, really miss them playing the song live but I don't want them to do it if Geddy doesn't think he can sing it. Only thing worse than them not playing it would be them playing it and him not being able to handle the vocals.

I think Geddy could still sing it. He pulled it off just fine on the R30 tour, I don't think his voice has degraded much since then so I think it's very possible

I think Geddy could still sing it. He pulled it off just fine on the R30 tour, I don't think his voice has degraded much since then so I think it's very possible

Oh really? I think it's degraded considerably, especially in the last two years. I guess we'll see. I suppose he won't sing it if he doesn't think figure he can handle it. Though they still do The Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer and he really struggles with those. I hope they figure out a way to do it. I just want to hear it one more time at least before they retire.

• Like 2

RHRM: I was just going to mention that you do three-hour shows. And the type of music you play, it's not like you are doing three-minute pop songs. So, we talked about your signature acoustic guitar. When is the signature double neck coming out? Ha ha ha.

AL: You know, I am doing something with Gibson. Just a limited series of, you know, like an Alex Lifeson double neck. They don't have a lot of people that are promoting these sort of things. Jimmy Page and myself, I think, are probably the only two that are connected with that particular guitar. But I think they want to do a short series of that guitar based on my white double neck. And we'll have some fun with it, I think.

RHRM: I love those guitars. I visited the Gibson factory. To watch the construction of those double neck guitars, it's the most incredible process to watch them being developed from scratch to the point where there is a finished product. So, then you have to play "Xanadu" on the next tour.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/red-hot-rock-05.2014.php

Damn that interview is depressing... Really sounds like they're being forced to tour and don't really want to. This might be it for them :(

http://www.cygnus-x1...ock-05.2014.php

Damn that interview is depressing... Really sounds like they're being forced to tour and don't really want to. This might be it for them :(

This is not the end for them! Why is everybody saying this!? They will do ATLEAST 1 more tour after this tour, since its been talk about a new album as well! But they will probarly do more then that! Damn it...they are not that old really... I am so tired of people like you!

• Like 1

Perhaps, it could be good, but I'd rather have it in an alternating list with something less vocally taxing for him. If he felt that his voice wasn't up to scratch that night, they slap in the other song, if he feels alright, Rush play Xanadu. I think that's a fair trade, right? I mean, I know some people would be gutted to nit see the song, but I think they'd feel even worse to see Geddy suffer on the vocals to that song!

If, they feel it would cause too much if an upset within fans if the song isn't there, they can work on an instrumental version, or even, as a VERY LAST RESORT, have Ged lip-sync the song if he's not feeling great that night!

Edited by WavesandWindows

Perhaps, it could be good, but I'd rather have it in an alternating list with something less vocally taxing for him. If he felt that his voice wasn't up to scratch that night, they slap in the other song, if he feels alright, Rush play Xanadu. I think that's a fair trade, right? I mean, I know some people would be gutted to nit see the song, but I think they'd feel even worse to see Geddy suffer on the vocals to that song!

If, they feel it would cause too much if an upset within fans if the song isn't there, they can work on an instrumental version, or even, as a VERY LAST RESORT, have Ged lip-sync the song if he's not feeling great that night!

I could see that. Ooh! They could alternate it with La Villa Strangiato and a Lerxst rant! Problem solved, I'm a genius.

Why???

Yes, but all of your shallow post aside, tell us what you really think.

Oh really? I think it's degraded considerably, especially in the last two years. I guess we'll see. I suppose he won't sing it if he doesn't think figure he can handle it. Though they still do The Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer and he really struggles with those. I hope they figure out a way to do it. I just want to hear it one more time at least before they retire.

I have to agree about his voice.

• Like 1

http://www.cygnus-x1...ock-05.2014.php

I think they are way, way, way beyond being forced to do anything by anyone. If they didn't want to tour, they wouldn't. It is not like they are desperate for money.

• Like 2