Xanadu 2015?

Disk98

it'd kick ass but I wouldn't get my hopes up for them playin it. if they do, I don't think it'd be 11 minutes either.

Why?

they haven't played the whole song since 1981, I just don't see them doing it. then again no one saw them pulling out the body electric or middletown dreams on the last tour either so who knows. obviously I hope I'm 100% wrong though

That's where I found it.

I found it on an R30 concert they did at Radio City Music Hall.

Well. I honestly don't think Geddy could sing it anymore. He could still sing ten years ago, but his voice has dropped, for whatever reason, considerably. It keeps getting lower.

Also, is it my imagination, or are Alex's guitar playing and Neil's drumming slower in beat than they used to be?

Forgot to add that Geddy sang effortlessly back then (Exit...Stage Left). Not so today.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I could handle that. I would prefer "In The End" but that is just me and I know it will never happen. They could even do By Tor before if they want....
  • Like 1

Might be interesting if they did this big long medley of a whole bunch of obscure songs from the first album to the last.

I really don't care if they change certain parts of old songs. live experimentation and improvisation is something I wish rush and prog bands in general embraced more. it kinda sucks how if you've seen one rush bootleg from a tour, you've seen em all. same with genesis and other bands

Yup. Its the one aspect of the band that annoys me. And its the toughest to defend against the haters..they have loosened up more over the years, but still quite methodical and stiff...thats why stuff like Working Man is cool to see, cause they let it rip

Edited by Xanadoood

I'm GLAD they don't try to do the whole song anymore.

Why???

Because nowadays, they'd totally half-ass it. They don't have that fire in them to play their old songs EXACTLY right like they used to. Watch the Exit Stage Left version...they are actually manually PLAYING all the keyboard intricacies and Taurus pedals in the beginning; it's just PERFECT. You could tell they prided themselves back then on the TINY DETAILS that made them a GREAT band. Every little noise and sound was actually PLAYED.

Nowadays, you KNOW they'd do it like they did with The Camera Eye recently...then entire keyboard intro would be nothing more than Geddy holding one key down while a big long sample autonomously played in the background. Totally useless, totally cheezy, totally for lack of caring and a total loss of attention to detail, totally LAME.

You know these guys can't be bothered anymore to learn the old songs properly; they don't even make an attempt. Check out Geddy's complete disregard for the original bassline in The Analog Kid as well as the dismissal of the AMAZING original bassline during the solo at the end of The Camera Eye where nowadays he totally dicks it up...or the bass solo in Mission where he doesn't even attempt the fast part at the end; rather than finger each note individually he just slides through them. He couldn't care less to play these older songs properly (well, with Mission I doubt he could play that solo fast and properly nowadays with his whole flamenco crapstyle). And don't EVEN get me started on Neil's horrendous new versions of Red Sector A or the destruction of the amazing original drum parts to Middletown Dreams. It's like he's totally forgotten how to play hi-hat like he used to, and that was one of his signature identifiable sounds (that he has since totally disregarded; even his current hi-hat tone is non-distinct and unnoticable). And when they DO play Natural Science, Neil dumbs it down so much that it's as if he just hasn't got the finesse or stamina for it; in actually it's just that he doesn't give a damn...what happened to that amazing descending tom roll he used to do before the "In their own image" verse? He does some terrible blocky herky jerky slow thing that ruins the flow of the song...RUINS it. A complete failure and disregard for his "old" self.

So, I digress. I hope they play Xanadu, but if they aren't going to play all the parts RIGHT, then don't even attempt them. Play the shorter version without the intro...no one wants to hear several minutes of a sample being played in the background by holding down one key before the actual song starts and the band actually PLAYS their instruments.

Shit, i hate to say it, but i agree with a lot of this

I could handle that. I would prefer "In The End" but that is just me and I know it will never happen. They could even do By Tor before if they want....

That song is SO overdue. It should absolutely be put in an encore medley like the old days. And it may be very appropriate if this ends up being their last big tour.

• Like 2

That song is SO overdue. It should absolutely be put in an encore medley like the old days. And it may be very appropriate if this ends up being their last big tour.

Well said.... :cheers:

One of their best songs and I would love to hear the full version live. I saw them do it on the R30 tour and it was awesome but they did so a shorter version. I think Geddy should still be able to pull this off alright vocally. Obviously, it would have to be down tuned a bit though.
  • Like 1

I also miss the ending of it, where they go down that scale. They could use it to segue into Tom Sawyer or TSoR or something.

OK, rant over.

Whoa. That would be AWESOME. Holy shit.

Just imagine, the awesomeness that is Xanadu…and then Lerxst playing The Spirit of Radio with a double-neck…that'd make it more interesting for those of us who are a bit tired of it. (Not that I am…I could listen to TSoR all day.) That'd be SO awesome!

• Like 1

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Edited by yyz211282
  • Like 1