Henry Aaron's 715th—April 8 1974, 40 yrs ago today

Anybody else watch this? I'll never forget it. What a great moment...

Of course that means I'm old.

Anyway...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 1

I watched it. I also watched 714 also I think opening day in Cincy if memory serves. This was back when baseball was king for me. Watched it all and knew it all. I actually used to find a game pretty much every night on my little transistor radio and listen for hours. Mostly only Saturday baseball on t.v (Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek) and the stink'in Orioles local to watch in those days. After dark in DC you would be surprised who I could pick up on AM radio between all the static..... :)

I watched it. I also watched 714 also I think opening day in Cincy if memory serves. This was back when baseball was king for me. Watched it all and knew it all. I actually used to find a game pretty much every night on my little transistor radio and listen for hours. Mostly only Saturday baseball on t.v (Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek) and the stink'in Orioles local to watch in those days. After dark in DC you would be surprised who I could pick up on AM radio between all the static..... :)

Yeah, I remember listening to Jack Buck on KMOX, Marty Brennaman on WLW, Ernie Harwell on WJM, even Joe Tait on WWWE...all time great wordsmiths (in between quite a bit of static.)

Yeah, I remember listening to Jack Buck on KMOX, Marty Brennaman on WLW, Ernie Harwell on WJM, even Joe Tait on WWWE...all time great wordsmiths (in between quite a bit of static.)

Those were the main ones I listened to. 50,000 watts would carry for sure. Was Pete Franklin the dude that had the call in sports show on WWWE? I listened to him all the time after games and the nights when the Cavs, Indians and even Barons where not playing. In the DC area Ken Beatrice was the big sports call in show I listened to all the time. Your next on Sports Call !! he would say. Oh the days.... :) Thanks for the thread BTW

Those were the main ones I listened to. 50,000 watts would carry for sure. Was Pete Franklin the dude that had the call in sports show on WWWE? I listened to him all the time after games and the nights when the Cavs, Indians and even Barons where not playing. In the DC area Ken Beatrice was the big sports call in show I listened to all the time. Your next on Sports Call !! he would say. Oh the days.... :) Thanks for the thread BTW

Yep, I remember Pete. He didn't have a lot of love for Forrest Gregg.

I remember that. He loved him some Abdul Jabbar though. I was a huge Pistol Pete fan throughout his entire career. He was a fan of his as I recall and I used to listen to alot of NBA and ABA on radio too. I always tried to find a broadcast when the Hawks and then later the Jazz could be heard so I could keep up with him. It was wonderful to see him finish in Boston and with a good team finally. So sad he died so young.... :(

I remember that. He loved him some Abdul Jabbar though. I was a huge Pistol Pete fan throughout his entire career. He was a fan of his as I recall and I used to listen to alot of NBA and ABA on radio too. I always tried to find a broadcast when the Hawks and then later the Jazz could be heard so I could keep up with him. It was wonderful to see him finish in Boston and with a good team finally. So sad he died so young.... :(

Yep, I only saw him once in college. Averaged 44.2 ppg if memory serves. The game was on TV and I wanted to see how many he could put up. Don't remember exactly, but he did this without a 3 pt line. Could have been 50 ppg with one.

Yep, I only saw him once in college. Averaged 44.2 ppg if memory serves. The game was on TV and I wanted to see how many he could put up. Don't remember exactly, but he did this without a 3 pt line. Could have been 50 ppg with one.

Still holds the total points record (career) I am pretty sure and back then with only 3 years of eligibility and as you said no 3 point line. They could put a 5 point line in and it will still never be broken for many reasons....

Still holds the total points record (career) I am pretty sure and back then with only 3 years of eligibility and as you said no 3 point line. They could put a 5 point line in and it will still never be broken for many reasons....

Yep, 3667. Broke the Big O's record if memory serves.

My favorite Trivia question in all of sports: Name the top 3 single season scorers in NCAA history. 1) Pete Maravich 2) Pete Maravich 3) Pete Maravich
  • Like 2

My favorite Trivia question in all of sports: Name the top 3 single season scorers in NCAA history. 1) Pete Maravich 2) Pete Maravich 3) Pete Maravich

:cheers:

I remember reading a Maravich biography that I thought was well worth the time.

http://kellylowenstein.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/pete-maravich.jpg?w=399

• Like 1

I remember reading a Maravich biography that I thought was well worth the time.

http://kellylowenstein.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/pete-maravich.jpg?w=399

I have read it more than once. I may still have it somewhere. I have even seen the crappy movie about his life. The dude had a basketball with him almost 24/7 and deserved all of his success and more....
  • Like 1

And in two of these he played only 26 games, not the 40 games a season they play today.

I was in 7th grade, in a Catholic elementary school in Northern Kentucky, and the teachers were kind enough to let us watch the Reds-Braves game on Opening Day. Hank Aaron came up and blasted #714 off of Jack Billingham, and we all just went nuts. It was one of the VERY FEW times when we kids were allowed to be so expessive and emotional.....:LOL: