Please someone help with MS Office install. . . .

Mara

My husband purchased the Office Suite (home and student); it's legit as he bought it from Staples. Took forever to get it installed as there were about one million steps, but it seems to be completed.

One problem: now that it's installed, we cannot find the actual program in order to actually USE the thing. It's in the program files, or appears to be, but all we are finding are .exe. and .dll files, roots and the like. We have yet to be able open, say, Word and start typing away.

I am pretty certain this is a PICNIC (Problem In Chair Not In Computer) issue, but neither of us is feeling particularly moved to call tech support and sit on hold for "Mike" in India.

Half the problem is that neither of us is particularly literate in Windows 8 yet. I'm not exactly a computer whiz, but generally handle some basic housekeeping for both computers (mine's an e-Machine on Windows 2007; his is an HP) and am a bit more literate than he is. But I told him he's mostly on his own for Windows 8.

Where can I find the actual application????????

Mara, MS Office install should be straightforward. Put the disc in, enter registration, install. Should be no "steps" it just installs all the programmes of the disc and then should be ready to use.

Press the Windows Tab to get the start screen, then if you cannot see the Office tile, right click in a blank bit of screen and choose all apps.

If Office still doesn't appear or load I suggest you uninstall it and start again with the disc.

• Like 1

I don't know if I can help as I have Windows 7 but, in looking around after reading your post, I discovered that, not only does Microsoft Office show up in the Program Files, it also shows up in the Program Files (x86) list. When I clicked on the Microsoft Office folder in Program Files, I saw that there was just one folder titled "Office14" and that, as in your case, there are no program launching applications in there.

However, when I went to Program Files (x86) and clicked on Microsoft Office, there were a bunch of folders in there, including another "Office 14" folder. When I opened that one, there was a long list of files and folders and application extensions and whatnot. I scrolled down through this list and found launching applications for all the Office programs (Word, Excel, etc.). If you find the same thing in your Program Files (x86) list, simply scroll through the list until you see the icon for Excel that is titled "EXCEL" in all caps. It will be listed as an application. Right click on that and send it to the desktop as a shortcut. Keep scrolling through the same list until you run across the other icons that will show up as : WINWORD, OUTLOOK, etc in all caps. Right click on each of these in turn and send to the desktop like you did the first one and then you should have all your shortcuts and be able to launch from there.

Thanks to all; I feel like kind of a moron!

Tony - by "a ton of steps", I meant that DH had to create the account and evidently he had some issues as I heard a hell of a lot of blue language during the install process! He is technologically cursed and knows it (seriously - his smartphone and computer seem to develop issues completely unique to him. He's not allowed on my computer because I am scared he'll curse it as well).

He finally did the online chat process with the MS tech support and all seems well. He was very impressed with their tech support.

You can always find the programs by hitting the Windows key and searching for the files, if needed. WINWORD.EXE, EXCEL.EXE, OUTLOOK.EXE, POWERPNT.EXE. MSACCESS.EXE, ONENOTE.EXE, MSPUB.EXE are the file names of the programs. Right click on them to create a shortcut.

I hate Windows 8. f***ing hate it.

I quickly learned to hate it. 7 is so much more user-friendly. I need that start menu tab in the bottom left corner.

I quickly learned to hate it. 7 is so much more user-friendly. I need that start menu tab in the bottom left corner.

Update to 8.1 and you get your Start button back.

Tony, is there a way in 8.1 for everything to look and function like the old desktop as in XP, 7, etc? Or is it still the tiles-bullshit just with a start button?

Tony, is there a way in 8.1 for everything to look and function like the old desktop as in XP, 7, etc? Or is it still the tiles-bullshit just with a start button?

Yes, windows key+d shows a traditional desktop.

Thanks. It looks like 8.1 was made for the purpose of allowing the user to customize and make it like a traditional windows theme. Good move by them IMO.

I'm sticking with Windows 7 on my PC laptop.

Mind you, treated myself to a Macbook Retina Pro a couple of weeks ago. Much better than Windows despite the cost and poseur reputation.

Take a look at a program called "Classic Shell". It is free and it gives you a start button and a more "traditional" windows experience.

Oh AWESOME! Thanks so much for the 8.1 hint, Tony. John, good information to have handy.

Didn't they learn with XP that if it ain't broke, don't fix it????