Rosemary's Baby remake

circumstantial tree

They did a remake of "Carrie" in 2003 that was going to continue into a series. Didn't make it thank goodness. Of course, they just made a 3rd "Carrie" in theatres that doesn't touch the original.

When are remakes of thrillers and horror movies ever as good as the original? Can someone give an example of a good one?

The only good horror remake that comes to mind is "The Fly" (Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis). It was outstanding. Of course, they made a sequel to it, which was pathetic.

• Like 1

When are remakes of thrillers and horror movies ever as good as the original? Can someone give an example of a good one?

I can think of one where I liked the remake just as good... "The Hills Have Eyes."

In fact, I might have liked that remake even better. I think the actors made it for me, and the modernization of the film actually worked in it's favor. I liked the CGI, it was done well...

Of course, there's several remake that are insufferable and disgraceful. Off of the top of my head: Psycho, TXCM, EVIL DEAD, House of Wax, Black Christmas...

The only good horror remake that comes to mind is "The Fly" (Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis). It was outstanding. Of course, they made a sequel to it, which was pathetic.

Oh, shit! That's an obvious one I overlooked. But then again, and I don't mean to discredit your point, the remakes from the last century tended to do a better job, especially if they were remaking old classic films made in the 20s-50s.

Like, for example, in the mid 50s Hammer Productions remade Mummy, Dracula, and Frankenstein, and did a good job. Kind of an apples and oranges situation there actually, but still - nicely done.

Edited by Mr. IsNot

Oh, shit! That's an obvious one I overlooked. But then again, and I don't mean to discredit your point, the remakes from the last century tended to do a better job, especially if they were remaking old classic films made in the 20s-50s.

Like, for example, in the mid 50s Hammer Productions remade Mummy, Dracula, and Frankenstein, and did a good job. Kind of an apples and oranges situation there actually, but still - nicely done.

Horror films aren't the best candidates for remakes. You can improve the special effects, you can raise the level of gore, but can you raise or even match the level of true "horror" that the original audiences felt? IMO, it's very rarely achieved.

• Like 1

Speaking of bad remakes and Mia Farrow, there was no need for that Omen remake which was released just to cash in on 6-6-6. The only real EVIL that day was Fox unleashing a bland remake to fill up cinemas. I saw 20-30 minutes of it on F/X and that was enough for me.

Let Me In is one of the better horror remakes that is on the same level as the original, Let The Right One In. Also, even though the original is better, I respect the makers of that Evil Dead remake for using old school makeup gore instead of the phony CGI crap today's horror abuses.

Manchurian Candidate was real good. Bad Lieutenant w/Nick Cage was outstanding. Not sure if it classifies as thriller. The Thing is an under appreciated work...is it a masterpiece? It's held up pretty well over time. Not many that's for sure

John Carpenter's The Thing is the best remake.

Good call. Love the atmosphere of that movie.

I think Cape Fear is a pretty good remake. De Niro acts very good and the story isn't that flat. A film I still can enjoy.

Really GOOD call on horror flicks being bad candidates because -- unless you change the plot entirely -- you're already aware of the suspense that awaits.

Mostly I just RESENT that classics, especially, are being redone. There was an article the other day about the controversy over the family being African American this time, etc. NOT the issue. The issue is lazy Hollywood unable to come up with good, original ideas...and falling back on remakes and sequels. Bloody feckin' hell...enough already.

I watched the first part of the movie last night. The only black person is the part of Rosemary. The movie this time around has different circumstances surrounding it and is placed in Paris instead of New York.

There were some good aspects to what I saw last night, but ultimately doesn't come close to the original. A lot more gore in this one. The surprising thing is that it was allowed on network TV. More gore in this than John Carpenter's Halloween (which virtually had none) and that was rated "R".

The gore and the lesbian kisses that I saw weren't at all necessary. Yes, there's a lesbian scene or two in the remake. Margaux Castavet passionately kisses Rosemary in one scene. Not something Ruth Gordon's "Minnie Castavet" would have done in the original with Mia Farrow. LOL.

The kind of psychology that Ira Levin uses in his novels are absent in this remake. He wrote Rosemary's Baby and the Stepford Wives among others.

More gore in this than John Carpenter's Halloween (which virtually had none) and that was rated "R".

That's because it also had Ta-Ta's in it!

More gore in this than John Carpenter's Halloween (which virtually had none) and that was rated "R".

That's because it also had Ta-Ta's in it!

Oh yeah, the character "Linda" who kept saying "totally" a lot and her infamous line "see anything you like?"

Good call on Cronenberg's Fly. Great movie! But, I loved the sequel also. It was completely different of course. You have to put on your b-movie appreciation helmet before you start watching. I thought the bit about the horribly disfigured dog was very sad, but then, (spoiler alert), at the end, dog is ok and evil profit-monger who cares nothing for others, be they dog or human, gets what he was dishing out. Great morality play with giant fly effects. How can you not like that?! :)

John Carpenter's The Thing is the best remake.

This came out when I was in high school, and after it left regular theaters it stayed a long while as a "midnight movie." Being the days before VHS tapes (they were just coming out, along with Beta) and on-demand movies, midnight movies or special screenings were the only way to see a movie like that. We went almost every weekend while it lasted. Never got tired of seeing a head turn into a spider I guess. Still don't.

I really love the 2006 The War Of The Worlds.

Charlton Hestons Ben Hur is better than the (very impressive) silent movie version.

As for this...I doubt it will be good. But I am glad they packed in the idea of remaking Jaws!

I watched the remake of Rosemary's Baby and it was overall really bad. The reviews for it weren't good either. Last night I decided to watch the original with Mia Farrow and it is so much better.