When I was a little kid I loved to watch cooking shows yet wouldn't actually want to eat the foods the chefs prepared because I was such a picky eater. Growing up kind of poor I didn't really have much access to fresh fruits, "exotic" foods, etc... And by the time I did it took me years to actually get used to real food and enjoy the flavors. My love of cooking shows has continued into my adulthood and has inspired me to try new foods, even things I said I'd never try. I've made the foray into veganism and vegetarianism a few times but there are always animal products that I want to try at least once, and then end up really liking. But I didn't really start to branch out until about 5 years ago. This past year I've really expanded my palette and was wondering what foods you all have started to enjoy in your adulthood that you maybe never thought you'd try or like.

Here's my list:

• bone marrow
  • yellow-fin tuna
  • octopus
  • raw tuna (sushi)
  • bison
  • elk
  • venison
  • proscuitto

Too stubborn. I am the type that can eat the same thing for days and days on end because I know what I like. On my recent trip to Florida I went to the same restaurant all 3 nights for dinner and had the same thing. Fish and chips (excellent BTW) and a Sam Adams (or two). Once I find what I like I stick with it. Captain Borefest here.... :codger: :)

I never liked green peppers growing up, I like them a lot now.

I also wasn't a seafood eater, but some of my favorite dishes include Ahi Tuna and scallops.

Still don't like mushrooms :)

Edited by Lost In Xanadu

Most of what I eat today is stuff I never ate as a kid, either because I was a picky eater or I was never exposed to it. I was a child during the 60s and 70s and grew up on a diet of processed food. Plus, I didn't like vegetables except for salad. Nowadays my diet is mostly vegetables and hardly any processed foods.

Some things I didn't discover until I was an adult and cooking/eating on my own are: Thai food, (vegetarian) sushi and other Japanese foods, quinoa, kale, beets, chai, molé, nopales, all sorts of cheeses besides what you find packaged at the supermarket, etc. etc.

I am and always will be extremely anti-mushroom. Those things give me the creeps.

I used to hate beets as a kid, you know those pickled canned ones. UGH! But 5 years ago I was at a potluck BBQ and someone brought fresh raw beets straight from their garden and I ate them all up and i believe even went for seconds! Now I LOVE LOVE LOVE beets. Especially raw just a lil warmed up so the juices flow nice.

I'm addicted to the food websites and cooking diaries and new recipes. Since I'm sticking with the raw diet (because it works for me... not saying it works for everyone) I'm enjoying finding new creative ways to eat food raw.

• Like 1

There is not much I don't like today. I was not picky as a kid, but like many, I was not fond of most vegetables.

The one vegetable I still cannot eat is green peas. I could make myself eat peas that came from frozen, but it would most likely take a gun to get me to eat peas that originated from a can.

There is not much I don't like today. I was not picky as a kid, but like many, I was not fond of most vegetables.

The one vegetable I still cannot eat is green peas. I could make myself eat peas that came from frozen, but it would most likely take a gun to get me to eat peas that originated from a can.

Vegetables that come out of a can are not actual food.

• Like 4

Onions

Mushrooms

Asparagus

Tomatoes (can only eat the canned ones)

When my mom made meatballs she would put little bits of chopped onion in it, and I would sit and dissect it. My parents always joked that I could split a meatball into it's ingredients :P. Also didn't like mushrooms and asparagus. My grandfather once asked why I ate around them in a dish. "Because I don't like them" I said. "Well, have you tried them?" He then asked and I said no. "I'll give you one danish krone for each piece of asparagus you eat" and being a crafty little bucker I ate them all. Turned out they didn't taste that bad after all :D.

I liked cherry tomatoes as a child, but now I can only eat canned tomatoes. I was a picky eater as a child but it changed one day my father waited till I was old enough to reason, and he suggested that I take a little of everything from the plate onto my fork and taste that. Lo and behold it was a revelation! My parents never force-fed me anything. It was okay to try it and don't like it. But they made sure we didn't fill and entire plate with something we might not like. They taught us early on the value of not wasting food. :)

Sorry, this is unrelated but I felt like sharing it anyway: When I was 12 years old or something my father and I made a bet. We bet that if I could eat 5 big steaks that were left over from dinner I would get 100 danish kroner (not too bad). It took me half the evening but I shall never forget the look on my fathers face when I came into the living room with an empty plate. He never ever took a bet with me again :D

Edited by The Analog Grownup
  • Like 1

I used to hate beets as a kid, you know those pickled canned ones. UGH! But 5 years ago I was at a potluck BBQ and someone brought fresh raw beets straight from their garden and I ate them all up and i believe even went for seconds! Now I LOVE LOVE LOVE beets. Especially raw just a lil warmed up so the juices flow nice.

I still have a hard time with beets. No matter how hard I scrub them they still taste like dirt to me :huh: But, I will use them in my fruit/veggie juices. I can handle the taste mixed with other stuff. :yes:

Other than that, I can't eat peas out of a can (have to be frozen or fresh). Never been able to eat those nasty things. I still can't stand mayo, and fish eggs just weird me out.

I'm a pretty open-minded eater after that. I've always been willing to try just about anything once. I was never very picky as a kid.

• Like 1

I love pickled beets. Absolutely delicious with french paté.

http://nourishingjoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/pate-french-country-style.jpg

Ooof that's a dish I'd have a hard time trying.

• Like 1

http://nourishingjoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/pate-french-country-style.jpg

It's a very typical danish dish ;)

From what I've seen I'd have a hard time with Danish food lol.

Beets are hard for me to handle also. I can take them in a juice as long as I mix them with either something sweet, like almond milk and cinnamon, or something savory like carrots, tomato, and jalapeno.

Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 1

Beets are hard for me to handle also. I can take them in a juice as long as I mix them with either something sweet, like almond milk and cinnamon, or something savory like carrots, tomato, and jalapeno.

Have you tried pickled beets? It's a mixture of sweet and sour. :)

Here's another typical danish dish.

http://gamledanskeopskrifter.dk/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/opskrifter1.jpg

Oh dear God what is that?

I love how my thread has gone from talking about open-mindedness to cringing at pictures of foods I've never tried. :laughing guy:
  • Like 3

Oh dear God what is that?

Roast pork with parsley sauce. The danish 'cuisine' is based upon pork meat.

http://b.bimg.dk/node-images/207/2/620x/2207372-df-undsiger-regeringen-i-sag-om-kdklister.jpg

I love how my thread has gone from talking about open-mindedness to cringing at pictures of foods I've never tried. :laughing guy:

Yup, that backfired alright :D

Parsley-sauce, there's something that would take me years to prepare myself to try.

Edited by gangsterfurious

I didn't like most fruit growing up, and I still don't like most fruit today. That includes Tomatoes. Fruit is usually so cloy and has that squishy juicy texture that just makes me want to gag. There are exceptions for Apples, Bananas, and occasionally citrus fruits (oranges, grapefruit, pomellos) but the rest is just awful.

But when I was a kid, I used to hate most ground meat... Hamburgers, Tacos, Meatloaf... ect... Today it's a staple of my diet that I absolutely love.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

Yup, that backfired alright :D

Parsley-sauce, there's something that would take me years to prepare myself to try.

It's delicious :drool:

There are an awful lot of vegetables I don't like. I remember one Christmas Eve at my great-uncle's trying to eat enough brussels sprouts to be polite and literally throwing up in my mouth. I tend to like expensive vegetables, things like artichokes. I love peas but will not eat canned ones.

If it's meat or cheese - different story. I like pork tenderloin served PINK (gasp!) in the middle, rare hamburgers (I'd like steak tartare if it didn't involve an egg), and just about all kinds of sushi EXCEPT anything with octopus. I've never met a cheese I wouldn't at least try and there are very, very few I have actively disliked.

I will not venture near tripe or menudo or head cheese.

I grew up thinking that squid just had to be nasty; once I was old enough and adventurous enough to try calamari I discovered my childhood hunch was dead bang on! Have never had any that didn't make me think of flavorless rubber bands. I will not eat identifiable tentacles. As for other seafood, I used to like tilapia until I discovered that its diet is largely fish shit; it's put into trout farm tanks to help keep the tanks cleaner, and the fish farms get 2 for 1.

There are an awful lot of vegetables I don't like. I remember one Christmas Eve at my great-uncle's trying to eat enough brussels sprouts to be polite and literally throwing up in my mouth. I tend to like expensive vegetables, things like artichokes. I love peas but will not eat canned ones.

If it's meat or cheese - different story. I like pork tenderloin served PINK (gasp!) in the middle, rare hamburgers (I'd like steak tartare if it didn't involve an egg), and just about all kinds of sushi EXCEPT anything with octopus. I've never met a cheese I wouldn't at least try and there are very, very few I have actively disliked.

I will not venture near tripe or menudo or head cheese.

I grew up thinking that squid just had to be nasty; once I was old enough and adventurous enough to try calamari I discovered my childhood hunch was dead bang on! Have never had any that didn't make me think of flavorless rubber bands. I will not eat identifiable tentacles. As for other seafood, I used to like tilapia until I discovered that its diet is largely fish shit; it's put into trout farm tanks to help keep the tanks cleaner, and the fish farms get 2 for 1.

Calmari is very difficult to cook properly cause if it's overcooked you get the rubber texture but I have had it done VERY VERY well and it was soooooo good. But like I said it's difficult to find places who do it well.

I'm a BIG fish eater with arctic char and pickerel being my 2 faves to eat and prepare. I also love sushi but I can't eat anything with shellfish because of my allergy.

Funny thing about Brussels sprouts, I HATED them for years yet last Christmas we went out to eat with his family and the turkey I ordered was served with a single sprout. I did the polite thing and ate it and was sad there was only one. I guess they cooked it right. A lot of people cook it in bacon grease which is a no-no for me because of my pork and nitrate sensitivity. But however they cooked them was very yummy.