Great Moments In Songs

Alvy Singer

The Big Money outro

The synth middle eight in Middletown Dreams

and of course...

'It's really just a question of your honesty...yeah your honesty'!!

They get me every time...

• Like 4

The second verse of "Territories", that sequencer pattern is off the chain! Also the chorus of "Xanadu", the solo section of "Cinderella Man", instrumental section and end of "Time Stand Still", second verse of "Lock and Key", first chorus of "Turn the Page", solo of "Between the Wheels" and "Emotion Detector", The synth solo in "Countdown", chorus and solo of "The Analog Kid"....I could go on for days!
  • Like 5

The power and drama of Earthshine around these lyrics -

Reflected light

To another's sight

And the moon

Tells a lover's story

My borrowed face

And my third-hand grace

Only reflect your glory

and Al's solo in la villa

Like totally awesome

• Like 4

The whole "Manhattan Project" and Geddy vocals on this song just send me shivers down the spine!!!! And "Mission" as well: Neil Peart drumming on this song, Alex uplifting and emotional Guitar solo and Ged bass and vocals performance on this song is very awesome and great!!!!!
  • Like 2

"one two, buckle my shoe" is my favorite moment on my favorite song on my favorite recording of all time. The live rendition of "In The End" and that moment and the beauty that follows never gets old. The clear crisp recording and the power therein has never been matched in my humble old opinion... :codger: :sigh:
  • Like 3

From ATWAS: "One, two, buckle my shoe..." and following; the playout of "Lakeside Park", the bit of feedback in "By-tor and the Snowdog" (because it reminds you it's live, and IMHO "By-tor" is live Rush at its best).

Does all of "Xanadu" count? And "Red Barchetta"?

The first "Wheels within wheels" refrain.

From Hemispheres: the instrumental middles of The Trees and La Villa, and of course this part at 19:43:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlNrQGmj6oQ

• Like 2

"one two, buckle my shoe" is my favorite moment on my favorite song on my favorite recording of all time. The live rendition of "In The End" and that moment and the beauty that follows never gets old. The clear crisp recording and the power therein has never been matched in my humble old opinion... :codger: :sigh:

You posted this as I was writing mine. Great minds think alike I guess. It must be all those chemicals in the Chesapeake Bay that seeped into our Maryland water supply as we were growing up.

• Like 1

You posted this as I was writing mine. Great minds think alike I guess. It must be all those chemicals in the Chesapeake Bay that seeped into our Maryland water supply as we were growing up.

:cheers: I agree with the rest of your post as well. ATWAS will never be replaced as my favorite recording all time by anyone in any genre ever, forever and always Amen.... The very best from the very best.... :)
  • Like 4

The second verse of "Territories", that sequencer pattern is off the chain! Also the chorus of "Xanadu", the solo section of "Cinderella Man", instrumental section and end of "Time Stand Still", second verse of "Lock and Key", first chorus of "Turn the Page", solo of "Between the Wheels" and "Emotion Detector", The synth solo in "Countdown", chorus and solo of "The Analog Kid"....I could go on for days!

Totatly agree with you on Territories. That's just awesome.

My other favorites include:

The main wall of sound in "Body Electric"

The lyics "pilot of Anola Gay, Flying out of the shock wave, on that August Day."

Numerous drum fills on Headlong Flight.

And of course the greatest countdown in any shong, from "Fith Order of Angles" - In the End: "One, two, three, FOURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!" :haz: <-That is rock and roll, baby!

• Like 1

Totatly agree with you on Territories. That's just awesome.

My other favorites include:

The main wall of sound in "Body Electric"

The lyics "pilot of Anola Gay, Flying out of the shock wave, on that August Day."

Numerous drum fills on Headlong Flight.

And of course the greatest countdown in any shong, from "Fith Order of Angles" - In the End: "One, two, three, FOURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!" :haz: <-That is rock and roll, baby!

Finally! I can never get anyone to acknowledge how dope that part of Territories is! And I wholeheartedly agree with you on your other choices, especially the "The Body Electric", such a unique Rush song Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Too many for me to mention. I find that probably 80% of their songs have some sort of magic moment. Be it something long like Alex's solo in LVS, something inspiring such as some of the songs already mentioned, or something that leaves you wanting more such as the outro to Different Strings. I even find so many subtle things that they do: a single note, a pause, or the way Geddy sings a word can produce one of those magical moments. It shows how much effort they put into song writing.
  • Like 3

It shows how much effort they put into song writing.

Like the little synthesizer sounds in the background during the "Brightness of new birth/Take heart from the harvest/Shave the harvest from the earth" section of 'Anagram'.

Or that guitar note held till the end of the song after Alex's solo on 'Limelight'.

I think one of the most under appreciated moments is the instrumental break in Red Lenses. I remember being weirded out by the song on first listen until that soft piano came in, and then it alternated with Marimba, and then kicked into high gear with in my opinion one of Rush's best instrumental breaks.
  • Like 5

I especially love the one part of the song where it goes all like "BRAGGHHH" :gumby:

And then, And then he goes all like "CRAWWWSSHHH" :16ton:

And then the other guy goes like "SoooWeeeesssH :D-13:

And then "BRGRGGRGRGRGRRGRG" :bang bang:

And then "BOOOOOMM", "CRWASHH", "CRACH, CRACH< CRAH" :Neil: :madra:

What's that song? "Rivendell"? Yeah, that's my jam.

Edited by BigBob

The entire Return of the Prince guitar solo, but in particular the 5 notes at the very end of it… sort of a wah-wah sound, but I don't think it's done with a wah-wah. It is a great example (one of many!) of the artistic genius of Alex Lifeson, in that it seems almost as if the entire solo (which is artistically beautiful on its own), is a preparation, or "build-up". if you will, for those five final notes.

Way too many great moments in songs, but I'll try to think of as many as I can...

-Natural Science (from Diff. Stages) - the whole "science like nature/the most endangered SPE-CIEEEES" section

-2112 (Diff. Stages) - too many goosebump-inducing moments that aren't on the studio version, so I'll just say the whole dang song

-TSoR (any version) - from "all this machinery" thru the end of that batch of lyrics

-Prime Mover - 'from the point on the compass...' through '...the point of departure is not to return'

-Middletown Dreams - "OOOHHHHHHHOOOOOHOOOOOHHOOOOOOOOOOOO..."

-Grand Designs - "...wild kinetic dreEEEEEEAMS...OHHHHH"

-By-Tor & tSD (Rio) - just love the way Ged sings that whole first line, with the emphasis on "TORCH-light"

-Ghost of a Chance - that tinny-sounding guitar bit Alex does in the choruses after "...and make it last"

-La Villa Strangiato (Time Machine) - the 'Lerxst in Wonderland' section

-Force Ten (studio version) - that cool little bass bit after "...to the rhythms of the night", which they NEVER do live, for some reason

-The Camera Eye - "from aaaaa leaden skyyy-YIIII"

-Between Sun and Moon - the last chorus, where it almost feels like Ged interrupts himself to sing the first half of the chorus again

-Limelight - solo

-The Garden - solo

-Clockwork Angels - "stars aglow like scattered sparks, span the sky in clockwork arcs"

Witch Hunt: Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice, and fear walk hand in haaaaaaaannnnnnnd. Then, into Geddy's bass outro with the signature synth riff beneath it. Chills......

The opening of TSOR on Permanent Waves, all these years later when you understand where the band was in their development.

Yes, every note of ATWAS, of course. The pure, raw, youthful energy that comes through in the recording.

Freewill (studio): Each of us, a CELL of awareness. (sung with a hint of that Geddy Lee wail from the past)

Freewill (live on Time Macine Tour): Geddy still going for it and nailing the note on the same line.