NIGHTMARES!! (spin off of the dream thread)

hobo73

What are some of the worst nightmares you remember having? Also, can you more often than not wake yourself up if a dream is too scary? (I usually cannot, even when I can control everything that happens in that nightmare.)

The dream thread got me thinking, and last night chatting with my buddy pal Cy, I told him of a couple I had as a kid. When I tell people of these 2 specific dreams, they either can't believe it, tell me I'm f*cked up or stare at me with the mouth open lol.

Keep in mind, I was extremely little when I had these nightmares. My mom was hellbent on showing me terrifying movies since I was a toddler, so I'm not surprised I had them :P

**** I had a dream that I was in the bathtub and little bits of plaster started falling from the ceiling into the bath water. I looked up to see the ceiling give way to a rotting corpse that was, apparently, hidden in the attic. THE DEAD BODY LANDED ON ME IN THE TUB.

I'm 23 and to this day, I keep my eye on the ceiling above me as I bathe!!! Not even lying lmao.

**** I was in a dimly lit bathroom and noticed the bathtub (yes, the tub again) was filled with water. I leaned over to look and Regan from the Exorcist was at the very bottom of the tub, under the water with her eyes closed.

Her eyes popped open underwater and she jumped up, literally flying at me!

I ran down one of those never-ending hallways and she was floating/running after me, screaming at the top of her lungs and her head was spinning 0_o

.....I remember waking up screaming after that one!

• Like 1

The Exorcist girl is an abomination that no kid should ever have to see, let alone get chased down endless hallways by. Thank goodness she wasn't also doing that creepy spiderwalk.

But now we know the solution is simple: just crank up Holy Wars and hack her head off.

• Like 1

The Exorcist girl is an abomination that no kid should ever have to see, let alone get chased down endless hallways by. Thank goodness she wasn't also doing that creepy spiderwalk.

But now we know the solution is simple: just crank up Holy Wars and hack her head off.

NO MORE MISTAKES!!

• Like 1

Reminds me of a Nightmare On Elm Street movie. Think it was the third one, where a girl is bathing in a bathtub and suddenly Freddy appears from the deep, and you can probably guess the rest.

I don't really get nightmares (I enjoy them too much to call them that) but as child I had a dream about a tidal wave coming in and washing everything away, killing my family. That is the most vivid dream and I call still remember the landscape. I'm curious if I will someday stand and say "I've been here before" knowing the place is where my dream played out.

I have nightmares every night, usually. I would be in an insane asylum if I tried to read into them. If the OP wishes I might post some of them on here, but it would have to be when I wake up, because I don't remember them. If I could, I'd be insane.

Last night was dinosaurs, but I can't remember the details.

Years ago I used to have dreams about either poisonous snakes trying to attack me or sharks.This was in my 20's - 30's. I never actually got bit, but it was always super close and tehn I'd usually wake up. Very vivid with sounds, color the whole nine yards. The snake ones were usually lots of snakes and I'd be running through them or having to get past them and they would chase me. The shark ones vaired, sometimes lots of smaller ones 4-5 feet or a a few large great whites, less than 5.

One of the shark ones was recurring. It my dream I thought I was at Santa Cruz Beach, CA probably becuase that's the beach I went to the most growing up but it didn't look like Santa Cruz. I'd be walkjng along the beach and all of a sudden the beach was a cliff with the ocean right up the edge (like the edge of a huge fish tank) and teaming with small sharks. The edge would keep crumbling and mey feet kept slipping into the ocean but I was always able to keep from getting bit. I always woke up from that one a bit scared.

The ones with the great whites were always in some kind of tank, or a large mansion/warehouse type thing with walk ways over or alongside tanks and the skarks would follow me around trying to eat me. Of course I'd slip and fall into the water sometimes and then get out just in time.

They stoped a few months after my first wife told me she met someone else and I decided we were getting a divorce. True story, haven't had one in almost

10 years.

Sometimes dreams have a meaning, but mostly I thik they are processing and purging clutter in our minds.

When I was about 19, I had a dream that I was raped by my mother, and then my aunt- in the same dream. That's one of the worst that I can remember.

I also had a dream about a nuclear holocaust one time, but it wasn't as scary as you might think. I was in the car, and something came on the radio about a nuclear attack, and the missile came down right in front of me, in the street. But it was more like a firecracker or something. Yet everybody around was acting as if it was 'the end', you know...it was part Armageddon, and part carnival. Bizarre. I saw a city bus that had confetti just bubbling out of it, through the roof. And it had big inflated animal balloons strung to it and floating in the air, like you'd see in the Macy's parade at Thanksgiving, or something.

I also had a dream about a tornado that came through and killed everyone, and leveled everything, for as far as I could see. But I was left unharmed, and completely alone. It scared the bejesus out of me.

I remember the first nightmare I ever had, too- it involved watching Guy Smiley, the game-show host guy on the Muppets. Remember him? It was bizarre, too, but scared the crap out of me. I think I was five years old.

I had recurring dreams as a kid where I was bicycling on a very narrow piece of wood, very very high above the sea. It would stretch as far as you could see, and I would always try to keep my balance, but of course I would fall down and wake up. Now that I think of it, most of my bad dreams back then involved me falling through the sky. I would wake up before I hit the ground or water.

As a child I was scared of my emotions.

Now when I get those dreams I follow through, and land in the water. In those dreams I can breathe underwater and it's an exciting world to discover. Sometimes I even decide what I'm going to dream about before I go to sleep.

It's funny. I've had nightmares with gruesome imagery, drowning, etc but the most terrifying I've ever had is just being alone. No one died in that nightmare -- all of my friends and family were still around but nobody wanted to have anything to do with me. Same went for anyone I came into contact with in that nightmare.

Why am I always running in slow motion? What the hell!!!

Don't worry. Everything looks cool in slow motion anyway :P

I've been lucky so far! I wrote a poem in college about my nightmares, have to see if I can find it - this is at least 20 years ago.

Oddly enough - and speaking of which, i had a dream related to this AGAIN last night - I occasionally have nightmares related to September 11. Like, I'll be RIGHT THERE near the twin towers, then suddenly...yeah - you guys know the rest.

My worst nightmares involve being pregnant. I've never had or wanted children (or been pregnant) and have kind of a weird knee-jerk revulsion to the idea of being pregnant (just me, not other people). I've literally woken up while clutching frantically at my abdomen, then sighed with relief upon realizing it was a dream. One dream I remember fighting with my husband over who was going to have to stay home to raise the child!

I've had my tubes tied for ages now but I still get the pregnancy dreams!

Last night I dreamt that I was in this apartment building where two of my friends live, and it was infested with Deathclaws. Luckily, I just so happened to find a gun at some point, and I made it my mission to clear out the building and save the residents.

I don't know if I'd call it a nightmare since I enjoyed it thoroughly... but it was definitely frightening at points.

Just woke up from this weird dream and have to write it down before I forget it.

I'm in a foreign city, most likely Amsterdam, with some friends to go see Rush. But it's like they never go on stage. I'm out in the lobby trying desperately to buy a beer, but nobody will tell me where to buy one. Then I hear what seems to be the start of Limelight so I run back into the hall just to see it's someone making a parody of the song, dressed up as clowns. I can't find my friends and now it has been an hour into the concert and still no Rush. I then see someone who looks exactly like my father and suddenly he is gone. I conclude I must have dozed off and dreamt because he is dead. Next the dream skips to me sitting in a car with my ex girlfriend, and I think we're just taking a short ride and getting back to the concert. But we're not. I start panicking and yell and scream at her, but nothing I do changes the fact that she is in control. I get terrified when I see her drive into a old city square with a Spanish name, and I freak out because I think she'll want me to meet her new boyfriend which is from Spain. He's not there but she leads me into a dormitory, introduces me to some people. We go into a adjacent room and she gives me two envelopes with money in it. I take them out, lay it in a pile on the floor and starts crying. She puts her hand on my shoulder and says "Breathe".

That dream hurt me on so many levels :(

Edit: What hurt me the most in that dream was that my father didn't recognize me even though he looked straight at me.

Edited by The Analog Grownup

If I'm stressed, I often dream about nearly falling into the sea. Sometimes I'm falling off a cliff and can't keep my balance, sometimes it's a steeply sloping shingle beach where the faster I try to scramble over the stones, the further I slip back. Or sometimes I have to cross a wide river on a very narrow bridge that I know is unsafe.

I had several very weird dreams last year about people trying to kill me in surreal ways (e.g. forcing my head back and pouring ink down my throat till I start to choke - no idea where that one came from) but oddly, these didn't scare me as much.

The very first dream I have upon falling asleep is a nightmare. Most times, thankfully, I don't remember the dream, but sometimes I do.

In other dreams, the most frequent thing that occurs is that I am driving a car only to find out the brakes don't work, or the car won't turn in the direction I want.