Are all dreams supposed to have meaning???

Mara

Because I cannot even begin to explain the one I had last night. It involved theology (Catholic vs. a very Church Lady-like Protestant woman) and a Gene Simmons handmade Christmas ornament. By that I mean an ornament of Gene Simmons, not one that he himself made.

What the hell? I'm not a KISS fan, don't watch Gene's show, and as to the theology? Who knows? Except that the judgypants church lady was really pissing everyone off.

Some dreams I get; they may be pretty convoluted and odd but I can pick out certain elements and know where those references came from.

And before anyone asks, yes, I was stone cold sober!

A Gene Simmons ornament? WTF?

• Like 4

It's just your brain cleaning up and processing stuff. We dream all the time. I'm curious about why i rarely remember my dreams, while other people can go on and on about theirs. I mean, sometimes I can but not like other people.
  • Like 2

Gene Simmons Christmas Ornament...maybe it was a nightmare.

Your post reminded me of the song "Scenes From a Night's Dream" by Genesis.

"Eating all kinds of food so close to bed time, they always made him have these nightmares it seemed..."

Pretty strange dream you've had there, that's for sure.

One time as a kid, I had a dream where I was sleeping on my couch. omg....a giant Pokemon character broke into my house and I woke up, frantically throwing the couch pillows over me to "hide" (it was a terrible hiding spot, if I'm being totally honest!).

The Pokemon saw me & started gnawing on my leg, then I woke up.

My point is, sometimes dreams HAVE no meaning lol if that ^^^ had one, I don't know what it is!

• Like 1

Every dream you have is a visit to another dimension, another universe you might say. So you're visiting with another you in a different situation, maybe completely different or maybe just slightly different.
  • Like 3

I've never thought dreams of having any meaning - at least not in a crucial sense. People sometimes act as though your dreams are giving you important messages to decipher, but I never bought that. This is probably a cheap cop-out of a rationale, and I wouldn't recommend applying it to too many other things in life, but if a dream is too hard to understand or seems too ambiguous, generic, what have you, it's probably because the reason you had the dream is trivial and irrelevant to begin with. Edited by Mr. IsNot
  • Like 2

I think that some dreams are so completely bizarre that it's probably not worth the effort to figure out what they mean.

I once dreamt that I was an ear of corn. Still on the stalk, in a field, just...hanging out, I guess you could say. It was a bright, sunny day. Oh, and then there was a combine coming toward us all (you know, my fellow corn cobs and me), but I woke up before it got to me. I suppose maybe it's not terribly hard to read some kind of meaning into the combine, but anyway...

• Like 1

It's just your brain cleaning up and processing stuff.

Like defragmenting your computer? :P

We dream all the time. I'm curious about why i rarely remember my dreams, while other people can go on and on about theirs. I mean, sometimes I can but not like other people.

I would sell my soul to have no memory of my dreams, which are too often extremely lucid. Of course, the pleasant or silly dreams aren't the problem; it's the bad dreams. :blink:

• Like 2

It's just your brain cleaning up and processing stuff. We dream all the time. I'm curious about why i rarely remember my dreams, while other people can go on and on about theirs. I mean, sometimes I can but not like other people.

This is my experience too...my wife remembers all of hers but I can hardly remember any of mine.

The best thing about my dreams is that I can wake myself up during the nightmares, there's always something that serves to identify them as unreal, and I use that to wake me up.

• Like 1

The best thing about my dreams is that I can wake myself up during the nightmares, there's always something that serves to identify them as unreal, and I use that to wake me up.

Same here. Most of my nightmares are about past jobs, so my reaction during them is always, "Damnit, not AGAIN...." :rage:

• Like 2

I wonder if you can sleep through a nightmare and not know about it when you wake up? Lately I've woken up literally drenched in cold sweat but with no recollection of having dreamt. I do have some weird ass dreams lately. One involved me on a little tricycle going around the countryside. I got to a steep hill and no matter how much I tried I would stay still halvway up. A man in a car comes from the other direction, stops and hands me a pack of burger buns. Then I wake up.

Another dream was more menacing. The only detail that stuck with me is that I'm sitting on top of a steep hill. Suddenly a small group of people charge up that hill, and when they are at the edge a couple of meters from me they tear off their faces and throw it at me.

I remember a nightmare from when I was a kid. I was riding my bicycle which had a very different set of brakes (I wouldn't be surprised to see someone invent them one day) and a tidal wave comes in and sweeps the house away with my family. I think that dream is very obvious.

I don't think all dreams are saying something, but some offer a great insight I believe. But it depends on the person and not the dream.

Edited by The Analog Grownup
  • Like 1

Because I cannot even begin to explain the one I had last night. It involved theology (Catholic vs. a very Church Lady-like Protestant woman) and a Gene Simmons handmade Christmas ornament. By that I mean an ornament of Gene Simmons, not one that he himself made.

What the hell? I'm not a KISS fan, don't watch Gene's show, and as to the theology? Who knows? Except that the judgypants church lady was really pissing everyone off.

Some dreams I get; they may be pretty convoluted and odd but I can pick out certain elements and know where those references came from.

And before anyone asks, yes, I was stone cold sober!

A Gene Simmons ornament? WTF?

Good topic. I was actually thinking about making a thread like this two days ago :D

I actually watched a documentary this weekend about a kid that was having these really vivid dreams.

Not only did they feel real, but the dreams were actually real because he was telepathically connected to a murderer, unbeknownst to him. One of his teachers even tried helping him to block his mind, but it didn't really help. Eventually the murderer realized the connection and used it to his advantage to trick the student.

I actually watched a documentary this weekend about a kid that was having these really vivid dreams.

Not only did they feel real, but the dreams were actually real because he was telepathically connected to a murderer, unbeknownst to him. One of his teachers even tried helping him to block his mind, but it didn't really help. Eventually the murderer realized the connection and used it to his advantage to trick the student.

Sounds more like a movie to me ;)

• Like 2

But which one? :)

I wish I could remember because I've seen it before. But I was probably high back then, or perhaps dreaming :o

I wish I could remember because I've seen it before. But I was probably high back then, or perhaps dreaming :o

The "documentary" referenced was one of the Harry Potter movies!

The "documentary" referenced was one of the Harry Potter movies!

I must've been high, because I've never seen a Harry Potter movie :eh:

• Like 1

I've had dreams I sort of regretted waking up from. Like the one I had a couple of weeks ago in which DH and I won $50 million. I remember waking up and thinking, "aw, man, BUMMER!" The funny thing about that dream was my mom trying to lecture me to NOT use any of the windfall to buy a new car for DH, that we needed to save it all for retirement. :LOL:

I've had dreams I sort of regretted waking up from. Like the one I had a couple of weeks ago in which DH and I won $50 million. I remember waking up and thinking, "aw, man, BUMMER!" The funny thing about that dream was my mom trying to lecture me to NOT use any of the windfall to buy a new car for DH, that we needed to save it all for retirement. :LOL:

What do you mean save it all for retirement, with 50 million you could retire right then couldn't you?

What do you mean save it all for retirement, with 50 million you could retire right then couldn't you?

Precisely! That is kind of how my mom is, though - practical almost to a fault.

Yeah, it's just your brain trying to make sense of everything. When I get the urge to try to learn a new language, which I'm never successful at, my dreams will be a bunch of words and sounds in the language I'm trying to learn, which are obviously "made up" and which I don't understand. If I am parked some where that I'm not comfortable with I will not sleep well, and I will dream that bandits are breaking into the trailer and stealing stuff. Caffeine, I believe, causes the nightmares. And, yes, I've dreamed of hanging out with Rush .... who hasn't?

Caffeine, I believe, causes the nightmares.

I have to constantly remind myself not to eat or drink anything that is sugary or caffeinated before I go to bed. Hours before. Can't be giving the brain any extra motivation to stay awake.....

Of course, I often forget.... :doh: :doh: